Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider

Publication Date: August 27, 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen
Format: eBook
Page Count: 352
Synopsis: Golden boy Ezra Faulkner believes everyone has a tragedy waiting for them—a single encounter after which everything that really matters will happen. His particular tragedy waited until he was primed to lose it all: in one spectacular night, a reckless driver shatters Ezra’s knee, his athletic career, and his social life.

No longer a front-runner for Homecoming King, Ezra finds himself at the table of misfits, where he encounters new girl Cassidy Thorpe. Cassidy is unlike anyone Ezra’s ever met, achingly effortless, fiercely intelligent, and determined to bring Ezra along on her endless adventures.

But as Ezra dives into his new studies, new friendships, and new love, he learns that some people, like books, are easy to misread. And now he must consider: if one’s singular tragedy has already hit and everything after it has mattered quite a bit, what happens when more misfortune strikes? 

Robyn Schneider’s The Beginning of Everything is a lyrical, witty, and heart-wrenching novel about how difficult it is to play the part that people expect, and how new beginnings can stem from abrupt and tragic endings.
Review: I'd heard lots of great things about this book before going into it, so I was excited. And at first, I really enjoyed this book. It had a lot of things going for it--humor, a relatable protagonist, easy-to-read prose. But unfortunately, things went downhill from there.

   Overall, I felt this book tried too hard. It tried to be meaningful, tried to be moving, tried to be one of those life-changing, turn-your-perspective-upside-down, walk-away-a-better-person novels. And ultimately, it failed. Instead, it came across as a transparent, sub-par imitation of a John Green novel.

   I'll mention the good things first. Ezra Faulkner. He's our main character, the golden boy turned outcast. I liked him. I thought I wouldn't, but I found him surprisingly relatable and likable. He's funny and pretty genuine. I also liked the humor of this book. The dialogue is really witty and dry. There are also many pop culture references littered throughout the novel, which I enjoyed. Also, I really loved the secondary characters, particularly Toby and Phoebe. Toby was Ezra's best friend when they were younger, but Ezra ditched him when he became popular. Toby was hilarious and such a good friend! I also loved Phoebe, a girl in Toby's clique. She's gutsy, animated, and all-around adorable.

   But then, you enter Cassidy Thorpe, Ezra's love interest, and all the good things suddenly become dull and negligible. You see, Cassidy Thorpe is a bit of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl--you know the type: strange, adventurous, there to suddenly change moody boy's life. That's her. And while I'm usually fine with MPDGs, I hated her. She was just about the most transparent and obnoxious character ever. She was so typical. She liked to go on adventures and wear vintage dresses and think of life in a "new" way and weave flower crowns--basically the exact same as any other girl who is meant to be depicted as "different." But she wasn't. The author desperately tried to make Cassidy into some kind of mysterious, exciting girl, but failed. Cassidy was over-the-top dramatic and thought she was much more charming than she was.

   As mentioned before, the book was too ambitious for itself. I didn't buy into anything the author wanted me to. It wasn't emotional or meaningful and it certainly didn't make me see people/the world differently. Cassidy's last scene where she begs to be "misremembered" was so unspeakably pathetic. It hit me with full force then that I wasn't absorbing anything beautiful from this book. It only fanned the flames of my irritation.

   This book had so much potential, it really did. But the character that Cassidy Thorpe turned out to be completely ruined its chances of being an enjoyable book for me. Looking back on it, there were great things about this book: I loved the writing, the humor, and some of the other characters. But that was all eclipsed by Cassidy.

   I wanted to love this book a lot more than I did.

   2.5 keys.



9 comments:

  1. One of my friends just bought this one, so I was planning to borrow [read: steal] it from her, but now I'm hesitant. It's awesome that you were able to relate to a MC that seems pretty unlikable, and that the secondary characters were fantastic as well. I love when the entire crew of character is properly fleshed out, because that adds so much to a story.

    But this Cassidy person sounds kind of terrible. I've been starting to really dislike those Magic Pixie Dream Girls you talk about, because if they're not done correctly, they're annoying. And it's terrible that that's what happened here. =( Cassidy sounds very cliche, and she would probably ruin all the meaning of the novel for me as well.

    Lovely, honest review Sophia! I'm sorry that you couldn't enjoy this one more. But considering how closely our taste in books are, I think I'm going to have to skip this one. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, it's a shame you didn't like this one more, Sophia, and thought that this one tried too hard. Ezra seems like a great MC but Cassidy sounds annoying, which means I probably wouldn't like the romance either and so will pass on it. Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I just got myself a copy of this. When I first heard about The Beginning of Everything I wasn't at all convinced that I wanted to read this book. It felt a bit contructed, rather than a YA contemporary read of the natural kind. Still I will give this a try and hope that I'll like it better than you did. Really appreciate your honest opinion though. Great review!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this wonderful review. I personally loved this book, it's one of my favorites. Underrated Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firma Servicii SEO si Web design, va ofera servicii de
    Optimizare SEO si creare Site de prezentare s-au
    Magazin online. Pentru cei interesati facem link/banner exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. VINTI TRANS va ofera servicii de: transport marfa, transport marfa bucuresti, Transport adr, transport marfa periculoasa
    la cele mai avantajoase preturi. Nu ezita si viziteaza site-ul nostru www.transportmarfarutier.ro

    Firma Servicii SEO si Web design, va ofera servicii de
    Optimizare SEO si creare Site de prezentare s-au
    Magazin online, SEO. Pentru cei interesati facem link/banner exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to nab this book from Amazon but now I feel like I wouldn't be a fan. I've seen it floating around and I've wanted to get it but I'm not the biggest of fans when it comes to Magic Pixie Dream Girls. Ah, oh well. I'm glad you enjoyed the MC though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.. what a great blog.. nice posting.. i like this blog.. thanks for the sharing the superb information.nice tips.. Matrimonial sites Punjab | matrimonial sites for Kumaonis | marriage sites in gurgaon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good blog, just having a nosy through your posts :)

    http://allthesmallthingsandbig.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...