Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Publication Date: March 5, 2013
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 391
Synopsis: Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.
Review: Where to start... There was probably a lot riding on this book. It's the conclusion to a well-loved trilogy, and based on how Pandemonium ended, Requiem should have tied up many different plots. But it didn't. Not completely.

   Requiem starts off slowly. It moves consistently, but it's rather uneventful. And in all honesty, it lacks the passion and romance and beauty that were abundant in the first two installments. It's that kind of passion that made me a fan of this dystopian trilogy, because the love all felt heartfelt. This book strayed from that kind of theme, and instead, turned to the road of plotting action and executing it in a way that I thought was boring.

   It's a dual POV narrative, which I didn't think was all that necessary. I didn't feel like Hana's story was so important that half of the book had to be told in her perspective. This might be because I never liked Hana in Delirium. She was more likable in this novel, but I still am not a huge fan of her character.

   In the previous books, I really liked Lena. But in this installment, she frustrated me. I hated the way she treated Julian. (***Mild spoilers for Pandemonium***) If I brought Julian into the Wilds, promising a great life of freedom, and the Wilds ended up being a nightmare, I would feel ashamed. I would feel so sorry for Julian and embarrassed by my promise. But no. Instead, Lena felt ashamed of Julian. Julian, the boy that trusted her word and escaped the world he had known just because he loved her. Julian, the boy who was trying so hard to fit in to the Wilds. (***End of spoilers***) Honestly, I wasn't won over by Julian in the previous book, but I really liked his character in this book. It revolted me how Lena treated Julian in this book because he honestly didn't do anything to deserve it.

   I thought this book was very predictable. I feel like Lauren Oliver took the most obvious route for the plot and added the most cliche drama/tension. I felt everything coming before it happened, and I was disappointed by the lack of originality and creativity.

   The beginning was slow, and then the ending was rushed. Everything happened so quickly, and Lauren Oliver didn't elaborate enough on the way things concluded. Hana's plotline was left dangling helplessly. The reconciliation between Lena and her love was ridiculously short and passionless, and this happened without any sever between Lena and the boy she didn't choose.

   All in all, I was disappointed by Requiem. I expected much more from it, including better development and a satisfying conclusion. It wasn't a bad book. Lauren Oliver's writing is still great, and she tells the story well. It just wasn't what I was hoping it would be.

   3 keys.


13 comments:

  1. So sorry you were disappointed. I disagree with most of your points, but that's the awesome thing about reading! It depends so much on the person doing the reading. Great explanation of your thoughts!

    -Taylor @ Reading is the Thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so bummed about this book Sophia! I had such high hopes since I loved the first two, but I can tell Lena will definitely irritate me in this book, and there's obviously a full on love triangle now that both Julian and Alex are in the picture. *sigh* I think I'm just going to skip it and imagine it ended differently in my head! Loved your review though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK GOD! I literally thought I was the only one who thought this book wasn't as good as everyone thought it would be, haha like secretly praying no one will through virtual tomatoes at me or something... for thinking it. But I did love the ending words even though it wasn't the ending I'd hope to end the series. I had so many questions BUT now its done. aha anyways sorry about my mini rant (:

    Im new to the blogosphere and would appreciate follows! You should come over to my blog @ http://straightfromthereadersmouth.blogspot.com

    By the way great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic review Sophia! I read and enjoyed the first two books but still haven't read this one. Its tiring when characters treat others miserably for no good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Sophia! I one hundred percent agree with you. Requiem was a big let down for me, although I did enjoy it still. Lena was the only highlight in my opinion! I'm a huge fan of her character. But I was kind of annoyed with the way she treated Julian and Alex. I love what you said about Delirium being so raw and powerful, and yes, passionate. That essence was completely missing from this one! The main reason I fell so hard in love with the first book was Oliver's beautiful writing, and her ability to evoke such strong emotions. Can love ever be pushed away? I was so captivated, and I think that in remembrance of Delirium I probably enjoyed Requiem more than I would have. I couldn't bare to give it less than 3 stars! Lovely review, Sophia! Well-said, chickie. ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the new header, Sophia! Also, I have to agree with pretty much all your thoughts on Requiem. It was a bit of a disappointment, to be honest. I don't think Lena's treatment toward Julian bothered me as much as it did you, because I think I understood a little bit of how she felt about everything, but it did get a little frustrating. But what got to me the most was that ENDING. Dude, what a shitty ending! Some people may like open-ended endings, but me, I like my books and plots resolved, thank you very much. So it was a nasty surprise when I got to the end. I was all: "That's it?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gave this a similar rating. I was REALLY disappointed with the ending, especially after all the torture we were put through during the rest of the series. It honestly felt a little lazy to me. And the more I think about it, the angrier I get! I definitely agree about Lena, too. Sigh. I almost wish I hadn't picked up this series now.

    Sorry to see that it didn't impress you much more, but lovely review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hated the way she treated Julian too! That was one of my biggest gripes of the book because I love Julian. After Pandemonium, I had such high hopes for this but it fell flat for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I feel like Oliver didn't know what she was doing with this novel and frankly took everything I loved about Pandemonium and quite simply ruined it. To the point where I don't think I could bear reading another book of hers again. It was a contradiction to everything I felt the second book stood for and broke apart all that I'd come to expect. I'm annoyed just looking at the cover lol. I'm sorry you weren't impressed by it either (but not too sorry since I'm sensing some solidarity on the subject here).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, it's too bad that this one didn't live up to your expectations, Sophia. I haven't started this series and don't think I will read it just because I'm not a big dystopian fan and get the feeling that it's kind of slow. I hope you like your next read a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was also ridiculously disappointed with this novel, and really have to agree with everything that you said! You actually brought up a lot of good points that I never had considered before. You're so right when you say that this book lacked the passion of the other books- in multiple ways- and I think that's why I had so many issues connecting with this one. I also didn't really like Hana's POV, and found myself wishing to flip through those. It was predictable, and the ending just made me so. mad. It was pathetic, really, and Lauren Oliver NEVER should have left things the way she did. That's simply a disservice to us, her readers.

    Lovely review, Sophia, and I'm glad at least SOMEBODY feels similarly about this book (although I have seen a slew of negative reviews as well...).

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I have heard are negative things about the final books and it's put me off reading it, even though I have a copy :/ I know I need to just do it and get it over with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dog Breeds
    Awesome book deal with! It appears to be affectionate and inexplicable. I am hoping it's going to be very good. Thanks a lot pertaining to giving.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...