Sunday, June 2, 2013

False Memory by Dan Krokos

Publication Date: August 14, 2012
Publisher: Hyperion
Format: eBook
Page Count: 336
Synopsis: Miranda wakes up alone on a park bench with no memory. In her panic, she releases a mysterious energy that incites pure terror in everyone around her. Except Peter, a boy who isn’t at all surprised by Miranda’s shocking ability.

Left with no choice but to trust this stranger, Miranda discovers she was trained to be a weapon and is part of an elite force of genetically-altered teens who possess flawless combat skills and powers strong enough to destroy a city. But adjusting to her old life isn’t easy—especially with Noah, the boyfriend she can’t remember loving.

Then Miranda uncovers a dark truth that sets her team on the run. Suddenly her past doesn’t seem to matter... when there may not be a future.

Review: After all the excitement that I harbored for this novel, I must say that plot-wise, this book was amazing. However, it did lack certain substance, such as character development.

   Right from the start, False Memory pumps thrills and excitement. Miranda North, our protagonist, wakes up, knowing nothing about herself except for her name. She asks a cop to help her, but things quickly go awry. Enter Peter, a teenage boy who seems to know her and what she is, and this begins our quickly paced adventure. The plot is full of drama and action, which I really liked. It made for an interesting and quick read. However, I must admit that some plot twists were blatantly predictable. 

   The pacing of this book is very fastfastfast with little time to catch your breath. It's fun, it's quick, and it's entertaining. But the quickness of this book also results in the lack of character development. There's hardly any description of the characters when they speak, so you don't get a strong idea of how each character feels at certain points in the plot. I understand that a lot of character details are meant to be imagined, but still, you need at least some basis to ignite the imagination in the right direction. This was quite a challenge for me while reading because I normally invest most of my reading experience into the characters.

   There's a love triangle in this novel! And although it's understandable as to why the love triangle exists, I found myself feeling detached almost. I didn't believe in the romance between Miranda/Peter, nor did I believe in the romance between Miranda/Noah. This could be another effect of my lack of connection with the characters, but I didn't buy their love. At most, it seemed like physical attraction.

   Dan Krokos's writing style is very minimal and simple. It doesn't offer much description or insight on the characters. I've realized that I'm not a fan of such writing, but it does seem fit for a book like this one. False Memory is more plot-driven than anything else, which I guess suits Krokos's writing well.

   I know that this is science fiction, but I had difficulty believing everything: what Miranda was, the purpose of it, all the roles of the higher people. It was all hard to actually buy. I felt like there wasn't enough reasoning behind any of it, which hindered my enjoyment of the novel a bit.

   False Memory is an adventurous, exciting debut sure to please fans of Maximum Ride. (Seriously. It's pretty reminiscent of the Maximum Ride series--at least, the first three books.) It's fast, entertaining, and chock-full of action. However, if you're looking for something with more substantial characters or thoughtful prose, I'm not sure this is the book for you.

   3 keys.



11 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of overly description writing so Dan's might appeal to me, plus as you said it fits the story. I do love a fast and exciting plot but I'm more of a character girl. Maybe as with a lot of first in series books, this will change as the series goes on. Great review Sophia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've heard a lot of fantastic things about this one, so i'm sorry to hear it fell flat for you. but characters are a big deal for me so i don't know how i'll handle that. with the sequel coming out soon, i might wait to get started on this one. thanks for the review! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one, but I agree with you that it can be hard to find a fast-paced book with character development. Sometimes one comes at the expense of the other!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this book pop up on my feed quite a bit, but I've never been sure whether it would be for me or not, but the non stop action and pacing sounds brilliant. But the lack of connection with characters of love triangle I don't think would be for me either. Sorry you weren't able to enjoy it more Sophia. Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I love fast-paced and action packed novels, the ones that go too fast without giving you time to get to know the characters really irk me. I'm not quite sure what to think of this book now. I've heard so many mixed reviews, so even though the premise sounds cool, I think I'll just borrow it from the library. :) Maybe the sequel will be better, though?

    Thanks for such a balanced review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Dan's writing style. I think it's pretty well balanced, and I think he creates fabulous action scenes. I've yet to post my review, but it will be up sometime this month, and I think we quite agree on a lot of the aspects of this book. Great review, Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy fast paced books, but always appreciate the slower paced books that both make me believe and have fleshed out characters. great review Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this one. I agree that the fast pace meant that the focus was more on the action, but I actually do think we got to know Miranda pretty well. Some of the other characters probably could have used some beefing up, though. Will you be continuing with book two, Sophia?

    PS--it's funny that you compared it to Maximum Ride, because I have a natural bias towards them, hah. I'm not a huge James Patterson fan.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoy fast paced novels just because with so many books to read, I don't realize how much time passes. It's too bad though that this the pacing comes at the expense of character development. I'll probably end up reading this one, Sophia, but will lower my expectations for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this was p much a 3 star review for me too. i liked it but it wasn't MIND BLOWING to me. the pacing really is fast! i was like wow this book moves quickly. i'm curious to see how the sequel goes, i heard it's different? we'll see. lovely review, sophia!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...