Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

Publication Date: October 2, 2012
Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
Format: eBook
Page Count: 574
Synopsis: Annabeth is terrified. Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy—after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera—it looks like Camp Jupiter is preparing for war. As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper, and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can’t blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. With its steaming bronze dragon masthead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors from Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. In her pocket Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving demand: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighed down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find—and close—the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy might have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader, but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

Narrated by four different demigods, The Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land and sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare....
Review: Holy snap. This book was just one huge, exciting ride. Rick Riordan has outdone himself. Thankfully, Annabeth and Percy are finally reunited, letting the fangirl in me finally have peace. However, their adventure is anything but peaceful. Oh, no--this book brims with excitement and trouble. And I loved every minute of it.

   Thank the gods--Percy and Annabeth meet again. Their relationship is much more intense after such a long separation, and seeing the broken cracks in both characters after such a difficult time was surprisingly touching. The other heroes featured in this book are just as fierce as they were when they were introduced in the previous books. Out of Jason, Piper, Frank, Hazel, and Leo--the other protagonists besides Annabeth and Percy--I think Piper and Leo are my favorites. I connect with them better than I do the other three. Percy and Jason are practically equals in their own camps, so naturally, there's a bit of a feud between them at times. They both feel the need to be leader and to be the head of things, so there's some tension between the two boys. However, Annabeth usually eases this tension. Hopefully, Percy and Jason's rockiness won't deter them from their bigger goal in the next books.

   But although there are seven heroes, one particularly shines in this novel: Annabeth Chase. Annabeth is the daughter of Athena, the goddess of wisdom, craft, and warfare. This immediately tells the reader that Annabeth is an intelligent girl, but never before have we been exposed to exactly how amazing Annabeth really is. She stands out with her wit and wisdom, and her special attributes are on full display in this installment. Annabeth has always been one of my favorite characters in the original Percy Jackson series, but this book completely blows her previous achievements out of the water.

   Oh, the twists and turns in the plot left me breathless! It was impossible to put this book down, because there was always something big going on. The way each hero pulls together their own unique powers to fight for a larger goal is wonderful, and the way they have their own personal dilemmas creates an intricate plot that Riordan does a noteworthy job of crafting.

   The ending made me want to cry and pull my hair out, especially because the next book doesn't come out until this fall. The cliffhanger left me hanging on with slippery fingers, and left me in such unrest! The Mark of Athena is probably the best Heroes of Olympus novel so far, reaching a new height of intensity and peril. It's going to be nearly impossible to wait for the release of The House of Hades.

   5 keys.



8 comments:

  1. Another cliffhanger? Eeek! I'm not sure if I could cope with that. I'm tempted to wait for all the books to release, but your review makes me want to get started on this series as soon as I can. You are single-handedly convincing me to jump into this Rick Riordan bandwagon. ;) I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! It's great to hear that Annabeth's character worked so well for you again. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the author's name but I've not heard of this book before, it's great that you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I am freaking out about the end. House of Hades can't come soon enough (and hope we get lots of Nico time!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review Sophia, my niece will love this series and she actually likes cliffhangers..they excite her..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh em gee, THIS BOOK. I agree with everything that you've said, Sophia! Even though we get the much long-awaited reunion in this book, Riordan lets have anything but peace with these two. But I do agree about how this really is Annabeth's book. She's always been an important character, but I feel like this is really when she got to shine and prove it. And then that ending. WAAAAH. *sobs* Riordan is too mean to us readers, honestly. But I was totally hanging on with slippery fingers as well (I totally see what you did there!) and my heart broke even more with that ending. But now I know for sure House of Hades is going to be ah-mazing.

    Anyways, lovely review Sophia! October can't get here soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is another series I keep seeing around but haven't get to read it yet! I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. I'm so happy you enjoyed it. I can't wait to read it myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ADORED this book! It's my favorite of the Heroes of Olympus series by FAR. I just loved having Percy and Annabeth reunited! And of the new demigods, Leo is my definite favorite. He's so funny!

    Zaira Lynn (Best Microsoft Software Downloads)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...