Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan

Publication Date: October 4, 2012
Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 513
Synopsis: Percy is confused. When he awoke from his long sleep, he didn't know much more than his name. His brain fuzz is lingering, even after the wolf Lupa told him he is a demigod and trained him to fight with the pen/sword in his pocket. Somehow Percy manages to make it to a camp for half-bloods, despite the fact that he has to keep killing monsters along the way. But the camp doesn't ring any bells with him. The only thing he can recall from his past is another name: Annabeth 

Hazel is supposed to be dead. When she lived before, she didn't do a very good job of it. Sure, she was an obedient daughter, even when her mother was possessed by greed. But that was the problem — when the Voice took over her mother and commanded Hazel to use her "gift" for an evil purpose, Hazel couldn't say no. Now because of her mistake, the future of the world is at risk. Hazel wished she could ride away from it all on the stallion that appears in her dreams. 

Frank is a klutz. His grandmother says he is descended from heroes and can be anything he wants to be, but he doesn't see it. He doesn't even know who his father is. He keeps hoping Apollo will claim him, because the only thing he is good at is archery — although not good enough to win camp war games. His bulky physique makes him feel like an ox, especially in front of Hazel, his closest friend at camp. He trusts her completely — enough to share the secret he holds close to his heart. 
Beginning at the "other" camp for half-bloods and extending as far as the land beyond the gods, this breathtaking second installment of the Heroes of Olympus series introduces new demigods, revives fearsome monsters, and features other remarkable creatures, all destined to play a part in the Prophesy of Seven.
Review: I am loving this Heroes of Olympus series! I didn't like this second installment quite as much as I liked The Lost Hero, but nonetheless, this book was fantastic.

   Finally, Percy's back! He isn't exactly the same Percy from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series because unlike the first series, this one isn't completely focused on him. Instead, this series focuses on seven individual heroes, Percy being only one of the seven. Because of this, Percy isn't quite as heroic as I remembered him to be nor does he seem as much of a leader, but nonetheless, I liked him. He's just as loyal to his friends as before and thankfully, his adorable sense of humor hasn't faded!

   Frank and Hazel are the two new protagonists we meet in this book. I must admit, I didn't exactly warm up to them as quickly as I did to Leo, Piper, and Jason in the first book. Frank seemed to throw himself pity parties and Hazel's chapters started out pretty slow with many flashbacks. However, as the book started to wind down, and as each character shined in their own powerful way, I grew fond of the new protagonists.

   This book's pace is a bit slower, I think, compared to the first book. There's a lot more detail and description behind the two new characters' back stories, which was equally interesting and dull, if that makes sense. I liked some of the past stories, but I also thought some were too slow. However, Frank and Hazel's histories are extremely important to the story and to the plot, so I definitely understand why Rick Riordan included them!

   The cliffhanger is just dreadful. Thank goodness I already have a copy of the third book, or else I'd be dead.

   All in all, I'm so happy I picked up this series. Rick Riordan is an expert at crafting an engaging story with lovable characters, intricate mythology, and lots of adventure (as well as some lovely romance).

   4 keys.


8 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying this series! I actually loved Percy in this one, but I read this long after The Lost Hero was released, and I can imagine that switching from those characters to these could be hard if you're reading them back to back. Thankfully they all are going to meet soon!!! I agree, such great characters and mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Splendid review Sophie! I liked Hazel's back story a lot; Sammy was such an interesting character from the one scene he was in. Glad you enjoyed this book too! I cannot wait to see what happens next!!!!

    The mythology element is brilliantly incorporated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sophie!!! I LOVELOVELOVELOVE this series, Rick Riordan is a god!! <3 Frank and Leo are such great characters, though I can kinda understand why it would take longer to warm to them- what with the original cast of characters, Percy and Annabeth and Grover, being amazing and all. :D OMG! I remember when I finished Son of Neptune, I was so flabbergasted, and the fact that I had to wait almost a year for the next book drove me crazy. :/ Lucky girl! :) Lovely review, doll <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Middle Grade is not really for me, but I have read the first book in Percy's series and I did like it quite a bit. LOL. Leo and Piper = Charmed :-D I'm glad you have the next one to satisfy your need to know what happens next. Cliff hangers can be a burden if the next one comes out in a year and you have a full year to wait for the next one. I hope the sequel will work out for you as well this one :-) Lovely review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Cliffhangers are evil little things. ;) It's always such a relief to have the next book on hand when that happens! I'm glad you enjoyed this one overall, even though it took you a little while to warm to the characters. I think I could put up with a few slow parts too if the rest of it is good enough, and it definitely sounds like it is. Wonderful review as always, Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually felt that Percy was less funny in this one than in the Percy Jackson series, but it was still good to be back in his shoes once again! I didn't warm up that quickly with Frank and Hazel as well (especially Frank, ha), but it was still an enjoyable read, and I'm happy you thought so too. The third book is so much better and FULL of awesome. I can't wait for you to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to start this series foreverrr. I'm only okay with cliffhangers if I have the next book ready so hooray for that! Even though you didn't like this as much, it sounds like super fun overall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...