Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Publication Date: October 12, 2010
Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 557
Synopsis: Jason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up in a bus full of kids on a field trip. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper and a best friend named Leo. They’re all students at a boarding school for “bad kids.” What did Jason do to end up here? And where is here, exactly?

Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, ever since she had that terrifying nightmare. Piper doesn’t understand her dream, or why her boyfriend suddenly doesn’t recognize her. When a freak storm hits, unleashing strange creatures and whisking her, Jason, and Leo away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood, she has a feeling she’s going to find out.

Leo has a way with tools. When he sees his cabin at Camp Half-Blood, filled with power tools and machine parts, he feels right at home. But there’s weird stuff, too—like the curse everyone keeps talking about. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist that each of them—including Leo—is related to a god.
Review: I read my first Rick Riordan book in the fourth grade. It was The Lightning Thief and it ignited my love for Greek mythology. The way Rick Riordan can intertwine classic Greek myths so flawlessly into new adventures and modern times is incredible. I quickly fell in love with the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. When the first book in the Kane Chronicles came out, I was super excited. It was Egyptian mythology, which I'm unfamiliar with, but I had hope in Rick Riordan's writing. However, The Red Pyramid left me very underwhelmed and disappointed. That's why it's taken me so long to pick up The Lost Hero. I wanted to revisit Percy Jackson so badly, I finally just had to read this series.

   Unfortunately, The Lost Hero contains very little of Percy Jackson himself. However, I completely fell in love with this book and the new characters Riordan introduced. Our new protagonists are Jason, Piper, and Leo. Jason is a serious guy. He doesn't joke around a lot and he seems to carry around a certain sadness. But I loved him. He's responsible and a fighter and a really great person. I can say the same for Piper. She's the daughter of Aphrodite, which upsets her, because she finds Aphrodite's children conceited and shallow. But Piper proves herself. She's vulnerable, but strong and smart. Leo is a fireball (ha! that's actually punny!) of humor and loyalty. He is really funny and silly, but he's so helpful. Each protagonist brings their own specialties to create a tight-knit, heroic group of teenagers.

   The plot and Rick Riordan's writing are just as captivating as I remember them to be from elementary. I am obsessed with the way Riordan can tie old myths with his own original stories seamlessly. The fact that you can identify mythical characters in a new kind of story and setting is part of the fantastic experience of reading Rick Riordan's books. The plot is so fascinating, and the way the characters interact with each other makes it even better. The themes of friendship and teamwork make The Lost Hero such a fun read.

   I really loved The Lost Hero, and am so excited that my love for Rick Riordan's writing has rekindled itself. I just purchased the sequel, The Son of Neptune, today and can't wait to read it. The Lost Hero is an exciting, adventurous novel with fabulous characters and pitch-perfect storytelling.

   5 keys.



16 comments:

  1. Eeep, I'm so glad that this book rekindled your Rick Riordan love, Sophia! I'm pretty much a die-hard fan at this point of Riordan, and I must admit, I was super excited when I heard that there was going to be a companion series to the original Percy Jackson series. I agree about everything you've said- Rick Riordan knows how to write relatable characters, an engaging plot, and weave Greek mythology into stories flawlessly. I know there's not much Percy in this book, but don't worry, you'll get your Percy fix in the next book. ;) And don't even get me started about the awesomeness of Mark of Athena.

    Lovely review, Sophia, and I can't wait to see your thoughts about the rest of this series! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this sounds like a great book, lovely review:D Shamefully I must admit that I haven't read or seen any of the Percy Jackson Novels but my friend talks about it endlessly. Thanks so much for your lovely comment :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one to my kids and they love it. Keep reading, there's more Percy to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never did read The Percy Jackson series but I know so many people who loved it. I don't pick up middle grade reads very often but this sounds exciting and adventurous. Lovely review, Sophia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this a lot, too! Rick Riordan is definitely one of the best children's writers ever - for the same reasons you mentioned, though I had the same problem you did with The Red Pyramid (I've given up on that series, not going to waste my time reading it). Thankfully, his Olympians series is still going strong. Yes! At first I was a bit hesitant of reading this because it wasn't from Percy's POV, but I eventually grew fond of Jason, Piper and Leo. The second and third books are WAAAAAY better. Which makes them brilliant, because this was already so good. ;)

    Great review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE LOVE Greek Mythology, and Rick Riordan is the best at presenting it in an accurate readable way that is FUN and also current. I share your love of Percy and this series, and have really enjoyed getting to know the new cast of characters. I think it's great that you started to read this second Olympians series after several were released so that you have a bunch you can enjoy close together before the fourth one releases this fall. Always fun to find another person who loves these books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read only a small handful of Rick Riordan's books in the past, and all of them have been out of order. I need to start over and do it properly! I do like his writing though. I'm so glad to hear this book restored your faith in him! I can't wait to read this one myself. Fantastic review as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had so much fun with this one even if Percy WAS mostly absent. It sounds wonderful and captivating. I've never read a Riordan book before (I know, I know) but I do intend to, and soon.
    Wonderful review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay I'm glad The Lost Hero rekindled your love that you had for Riordan's books, I've always been meaning to give his books a go but never got around to it. Your enthusiasm has definitely encouraged me to pick up his books sooner rather than later! Lovely review Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say I haven't read many of Rick's books but I know from working experience that they are very popular! The only one that I read purely because I loved the film was Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief! Loved that! Maybe I'll give them another go soon! Brilliant review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read Riordan's books but my younger brother loved the Percy Jackson series. He didn't seem to love The Red Pyramid as much so I'll tell him to give this series another try since you liked book two so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, nice website you acquire here! Accrue up the able work!
    Estetik

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited to get into the Heroes of Olympus series! I just recently finished the Percy Jackson series which I loved to bits. I've got to get my copy...NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. gan good job, this article is very interesting to note, cool deh,, of course we have new insights that we get after reading it, thanx yah :-)
    obat penghancur tumor di payudara tradisional

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just read the Temple Wars Novel on Ganesha! The story is well told through a parallel protagonist Tarun who helps Ganesha retrieve his objects from the spirit world. It's a page-turner that will have you wanting more. You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...