Saturday, April 13, 2013

Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally

Publication Date: October 1, 2012
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Format: eBook
Page Count: 242
Synopsis: Red-hot author Miranda Kenneally hits one out of the park in this return to Catching Jordan's Hundred Oaks High.

Parker Shelton pretty much has the perfect life. She’s on her way to becoming valedictorian at Hundred Oaks High, she’s made the all-star softball team, and she has plenty of friends. Then her mother’s scandal rocks their small town and suddenly no one will talk to her.

Now Parker wants a new life.

So she quits softball. Drops twenty pounds. And she figures why kiss one guy when she can kiss three? Or four. Why limit herself to high school boys when the majorly cute new baseball coach seems especially flirty?

But how far is too far before she loses herself completely?
Review: Parker Shelton is a character I immediately disliked. With her boy obsession and bad reputation, my first impression of her was definitely not a great one. It was even enough to make me put down this book for a while. However, I renewed my faith in Miranda Kenneally's writing when I remembered how much I loved Catching Jordan, and I decided to finish this one. And (probably) unsurprisingly to most of you, Miranda delivered!

   Parker is definitely a girl I had trouble connecting with. She spends quite a bit of time on her appearance in hopes of impressing boys, and doesn't think much of hooking up. Her mother caused a large scandal in her church after coming out as a lesbian, so Parker feels the need to prove to everyone that she's not like her mother. That was one of my problems with her. Another was that she was quite selfish. One character has a drug problem, and even overdoses at one point, and Parker honestly does nothing to help the character. On top of this, said character is one of her relatives. Of course, Parker does grow throughout the novel, but I was never really won over by her. I sympathized with her, especially later on when it seems like it was her against the world, but that was about the extent of it. My lack of connection with Parker was probably my main problem while reading this book.

   However, there were quite a few things I did like about this book. After all, it is Miranda Kenneally! She has a way of weaving together some heavy issues with cute boys and humor. I really liked Corndog (AKA Will)--at least, most of the time. He was really sweet and friendly! I also liked Tate. He was such a surprisingly amazing friend to Parker. I didn't like Brian Hoffman, though--never did, to be honest. I'm not sure if I'm alone in that!

   All in all, Stealing Parker is an entertaining and dramatic book about boys, family, and finding oneself. The book goes by very quickly, a bit too quickly in my opinion, and I didn't find Parker very likable nor relatable, but there are several great things in this book. I don't think it's on par with Catching Jordan, but there are many readers who beg to differ!

   3.5 keys.


5 comments:

  1. This really was such a good book! I kept pushing through when she fell in love with Hoffman, because, as you said, it's Miranda Kennealy!

    Here's my review if you'd like to see it: http://www.readrzheaven.blogspot.com/2013/01/stealing-parker-by-miranda-kenneally.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this one yet, Sophia, but I'm hoping to do so eventually because I loved Catching Jordan. Based on your thoughts about Parker though, I get the feeling that I'll probably have trouble connecting with her too :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really sorry to hear that you didn't connect with Parker. I know her situation was very unique and how she acted wasn't RIGHT but I enjoyed all the flaws she had. A lot of experiences she had I could relate to, and I was really captivated by her story, even if it was difficult. I do hope you'll continue with Miranda's next book. The character was not one that I could relate to but, again, I couldn't help but be invested in her story and learn about her beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard such great things about this series and I plan to read it sometime this year, but this book is the one that I'm the most nervous about. I'm pretty sure that I won't connect to Parker either, and that I'll find her to be annoying and hard to take. But I've been told that this author is amazing, so I plan to invest. I'm actually the most excited about book 3. But I have to get there first. Great honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been hesitant to pick this one up even though I really liked Catching Jordan, but maybe now I'll finally get to it. The things you said annoyed you about the MC would bother me too though so idk. Have you read any of her other books besides CJ?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...