Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 468
Synopsis: Taylor Edwards’ family might not be the closest-knit—everyone is a little too busy and overscheduled—but for the most part, they get along just fine. Then Taylor’s dad gets devastating news, and her parents decide that the family will spend one last summer all together at their old lake house in the Pocono Mountains.

Crammed into a place much smaller and more rustic than they are used to, they begin to get to know each other again. And Taylor discovers that the people she thought she had left behind haven’t actually gone anywhere. Her former best friend is still around, as is her first boyfriend…and he’s much cuter at seventeen than he was at twelve.

As the summer progresses and the Edwards become more of a family, they’re more aware than ever that they’re battling a ticking clock. Sometimes, though, there is just enough time to get a second chance—with family, with friends, and with love.

Review: I have no idea why it took me so long to finally pick this book up. I read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour when it first came out and fell in love with it. I did the same with Second Chance Summer. Morgan Matson should seriously never stop writing.

   Morgan Matson's writing reminds me of Sarah Dessen's. Both authors start with a muted, flawed character with familiy issues, throw in a really cute romance and metamorphosis, and create a beautiful story with a satisfying resolution.

   Taylor Edwards is a bit cowardly. She runs from things when they get too overwhelming, and she doesn't really know how to face her fears. She's a girl with many flaws, but she acknowledges that, and strives to make herself better, which I really liked. Of course, with her flaws, there were times when I kind of disliked her character, but she always returned to my good side eventually.

   Taylor's relationship with her dad is a large part of the book. It was beautiful to see their moments together, to watch their relationship grow. Family is definitely a major focus in this book, and I felt like I was a part of the Edwards' family. I felt like I knew each character personally, especially Taylor's pun-loving father.

   This book tore me up, meaning it made me bawl. I honestly spent like ten minutes straight, just sobbing. I looked like a mess finishing up this book, because I had a genuine pull on each of the characters, and the events that play out were so heart-breaking, so depressing.

   Second Chance Summer is a gorgeous and heart-breaking novel that touches on family values, friendship, and self-discovery. It was sometimes predictable, but overall, I recommend this book to everyone. It'll definitely stay in my mind for a long time.

   4.5 keys.


11 comments:

  1. I always appreciate a good emphasis on family. I like the sound of Taylor's relationship with her dad in this. I'll need to hurry up and ready something by this author soon, it seems! Heard such great things about both this book and Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great review as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't you don't give out this high ratings lightly. I have heard some great things about this book, Miranda Kenneally even recommended it on my blog. I am always a fan of books that focus on family and I think that is wonderful that this is a main part of this book. It made you sob for ten minutes, wow! Great review Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely worried about the heart break of this book! BUT I love when a contemporary focuses on family, so that is definitely a big deal for me. Love the summer setting in the Poconos as well as the sweet romance. I liked Amy and Roger's Epic Detour so I will for sure check this one out too! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of this one before, so thank you for putting it on my radar! The front cover and interesting blurb really drew me in, but after reading your review I've added Second Chance Summer to my Wishlist.

    I always find it so incredible how a book can make a person cry. The fact that this left you in tears makes me really want to try it. I adore emotional books that really have a huge impact on the reader.

    The focus of family sounds lovely. I love books like that! Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic review with us, Sophia! And thanks for the really nice comment you left on my review. :)x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can never resist a story with a good cast of characters! Taylor seems to have learned a whole lot in one summer. I think I'd like to meet her some day. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the reason why I DONT want to read this book.. I don't think I can take up reading it and go through the emotions everyone went through reading it. The synopsis sounds amazing and I have only read great things about it but I just can't now.. maybe if I am ever in the need for an emotional book, this would be at the top of my list. I like it when authors write great relationships between the protagonist and her/his family!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got this one ages ago too and still haven't read it! And I loved Amy and Roger too! So I'm glad you really enjoyed this one. I'm going to have to make sure to pull it out and read it really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This may sound weird, but I've been looking for a book that would REALLY make me cry my eyes out. You know, that kind of super raw and emotional book. So SECOND CHANCE SUMMER sounds great! I also think that family in YA books nowadays are underrated. Most of the time our heroines come from broken families, so seeing whole and loving ones are quite rare. Anyway, thanks for the great review, Sophia! I must get my hands on this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Amy & Roger's Epic Detour, and I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed this one too! I clearly need to pick it up asap. It sounds cruel to say it, but I'm also glad to hear it made you cry so hard. I love when a book can affect me like that, so hearing that makes me want to pick it up even more! :-)

    Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I listened to the Amy and Roger audiobook a few weeks ago, and I agree with you, her writing reminds me a lot of Sarah Dessen in the very best way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I <3 Morgan Matson and I can't wait to read even more from her! I agree that she does remind me of Sarah Dessen. I LOVED Taylor's dad in this one and enjoyed the relationships. Glad you liked it too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...