Saturday, March 2, 2013

Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza


Publication Date: March 12, 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Format: eGalley
Page Count: 480
Synopsis: Mila 2.0 is the first book in an electrifying sci-fi thriller series about a teenage girl who discovers that she is an experiment in artificial intelligence.

Mila was never meant to learn the truth about her identity. She was a girl living with her mother in a small Minnesota town. She was supposed to forget her past —that she was built in a secret computer science lab and programmed to do things real people would never do.

Now she has no choice but to run—from the dangerous operatives who want her terminated because she knows too much and from a mysterious group that wants to capture her alive and unlock her advanced technology. However, what Mila’s becoming is beyond anyone’s imagination, including her own, and it just might save her life.

Mila 2.0 is Debra Driza’s bold debut and the first book in a Bourne Identity–style trilogy that combines heart-pounding action with a riveting exploration of what it really means to be human. Fans of I Am Number Four will love Mila for who she is and what she longs to be—and a cliffhanger ending will leave them breathlessly awaiting the sequel.

Review: Mila 2.0 wasn't quite what I was expecting.

   Mila was a likable character. She sometimes grated on my nerves, especially in the beginning, but overall, she was a fine narrator. In the beginning, it's like a typical YA book with the stereotypical "not-fitting-in" scenario. Mila's "friends" are jerks who spend more time staring at their nails than talking to Mila. They seem to only discuss boys. And speaking of boys, it was really strange how quickly and strongly Mila becomes attached to Hunter. She doesn't spout "I love you"s or anything, but after only knowing him for a few days, she seems to think of Hunter as her lifeboat to normalcy.

   I liked the relationship between Mila and her mother. The change in Mila's attitude was interesting to see, and their developing understanding of one another was great. I felt like there were too many unanswered questions about Mila's mother by the end of the book, and by the way the book ended, I'm not sure they're going to be answered in the next installment.

   There were certain passages that I felt were drawn out or even unnecessary. Everything felt sluggish and I wished for the plot to pick up. But there were also scenes that were pure entertainment and action. It was a mixture of dullness and thrill.

   The book definitely got better as it went along. At first, I wasn't sure if I was that invested in the book, but by the end, I realized that Mila 2.0 is definitely worth a read if you're a fan of thrilling sci-fi books. Mila 2.0 is an overall excellent debut, despite some reservations.

   3.5 keys.



7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review, Sophia! Good to know that if I'm not super impressed at first, to keep pushing through!! I keep hearing good things about it, and I met Driza at a signing recently...she was so fun! So I'm really interested in reading it soon!
    Again, thanks! :) <3

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book but I've been seeing a lot of mixed reviews...and not many really positive ones so I've been reluctant. I think I'll need to give it a try really soon.

    bookluvrmindy
    Magical Urban Fantasy Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am becoming more of a fan of thrillers/myster/sci-fi so this is a book I've decided to read, especially now that you enjoyed it (for the most part!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way about this one. I agree that parts were unnecessary... which explains my lack of engagement for some of it. Though, like you mentioned, there were also some great and exciting parts. Definitely a mixture of dullness and thrill here. Great review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone I know seems to like this book with some reservations. Seems like it's hard to find great sci-fi books lately. I love android in my books, but somehow most books tend to be stereotypical. Mila sounds quite likeable anyway, so I'm glad that you enjoyed this book mostly, Sophia! <3

    Beautiful review as always, hun! So sorry that I wasn't around much lately. >.< xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, Mila's relationship with her mother was by far the most interesting thing in this book, at least for me, and I really enjoyed Mila as a narrator. But there were some things that simply didn't make sense to me and they detracted from my overall enjoyment, so I ended up giving this only 2 stars. I'm glad you enjoyed it at least a little bit more than I did.
    Great review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was really looking forward to this one but after hearing about how quickly Mila gets attracted to Hunter from a few reviews, I've lowered my expectations. Great review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...