Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Publication Date: March 19, 2013
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Format: eBook (but my hardcover copy is coming in soon!)
Page Count: 568
Synopsis: Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?

Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.

A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters.

Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.
Review: This review is (painstakingly) spoiler free.

   The Infernal Devices is a series that I hold dearly to my heart. I've come to care for all of these characters so much, including the newer ones. And even now, my heart still aches in memory of this book and its characters. This book pulled so many emotions from me: happiness, depression, heartache... Name it, and it's probably true. The way Cassandra Clare has managed to make me feel about all of these characters is phenomenal.

   It's difficult to say goodbye to a series you love. And because of this, I purposely took my time reading this final installment, relishing the last chapters ever to be written in this series. As the characters' stories wound to an end, I could feel pieces of my heart chipping away.

   The relationships in this book are just breathtaking. I'm not talking just talking about the love triangle (though it's definitely remarkable). The familial atmosphere and loyalty throughout the London Institute is just so awe-inducing. And then there's the friendship between Will and Jem, which is without a doubt the most beautiful and perfect friendship I have ever read about. They are more than just parabatai, they are more than just friends, they're soul mates in the deepest sense possible. Without the other, one cannot be the same. They're two parts of one heart. Every memory of their friendship that is mentioned brought tears to my eyes.

   Cassandra Clare has written an incredible love triangle in this series. But here's the fault of a good love triangle: the reader ends up caring for both boys, so regardless of the outcome, it's always bittersweet. And that's Clockwork Princess in one word, I think. Bittersweet. I love Will Herondale and I love Jem Carstairs. Although I've been a strong admirer of Will since Clockwork Angel, I have so much more respect for Jem than any other character in this series. James Carstairs is gorgeous, inside and out, and he will forever be one of my favorite literary characters. The romance in this book is intense, and a bit messed up at times, but it's perfect in its own way.

   Rarely have I ever encountered such a perfect conclusion to a fantastic series. But Clockwork Princess has blown my expectations out of the water. Clockwork Princess has made me sob uncontrollably due to its utter perfection. And after reading the last page of the last book in the series, I feel as if something within me is broken and lost. And I think that's the true sign of an amazing series.

   5 brilliant keys. Wow. I cannot believe I actually wrote a coherent review of this book.



13 comments:

  1. Eek, I have CLOCKWORK ANGEL, but no CLOCKWORK PRINCE, because I accidentally bought the second instead of the first. So as much as I would like to start this series, I can't - yet. Anyway, I've heard nothing but rave reviews for CLOCKWORK PRINCESS! Ha, it's not every day I read of a love triangle that failed to annoy readers, as well as "breathtaking" relationships and interactions between the characters. And wow, a perfect conclusion! Okay, now I really DO want to get started on this series. :)

    Lovely review as always, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OKAY. I've always been curious about this series and looks like I reaally really need to read it. LOVED your review, Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to read this after I read and write my own review. I refuse to read any reviews before. I hope this doesn't break my heart even though I think it will. Love seeing the 5 star rating. It gives me hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. THAT. Totally agree! I wasn't really on board with the love triangle, it was killing me, but this book wove everything together perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! This is one of my most favourite series! It's so heart wrenching and emotional... and perfect! However, I must say that even though Jem will always hold a little piece in my heart, Will will always have the majority. I LOVE Will and I'd be surprised if anyone out there is as big a Will fan as myself - *ahem* I''m only a little obsessed! ;)

    I'm so excited to read this final instalment in the series but also sad - I don't want to say goodbye! :( I also managed to read a major, and I mean MAJOR, spoiler about the love triangle though... and am still kicking myself! Would you say I could still love this book even knowing the spoiler? :3

    Oh, and I looked at your 'About Me' page and realised we're a little alike! I'm 15 also and am super obsessed with Divergent! It's my most favourite book EVER! It's perfect in every way possible! xD

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect conclusion you say? SO EXCITED SOPHIA!!! I still have to read Clockwork Prince, but I have both book sitting on my shelf waiting for me and I can't wait to read them back to back. Get all my Jem and Will in one long fix:) I'm thrilled you were so pleased with this final book, I love when a series ends on such a high note!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And after reading the last page of the last book in the series, I feel as if something within me is broken and lost. And I think that's the true sign of an amazing series.

    SOPHIA! I completely understand and agree! Ever since I turned the last page of this book, I've been trapped in a strange bubble of depression. I'm so thrilled that this series ended so well, but also gutted to have to say goodbye. Weren't the relationships in this just beautiful? I rarely come across such obvious love between characters, and it's so wonderful to experience it all. Every time I think I'm starting to recover from this book, I read another brilliant review like yours and break down a little. ;)

    I'm SO happy you loved this too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES! It was so SO difficult to write a spoiler-free review! And like you, I haven't been able to let this book and its characters go. I've been walking around dazedly for days! While I adored the ending (or most of it, anyway), I still can't help missing them all already.
    Such a beautiful review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you talk about all the different relationships in this book and how the characters at the London institute created a family for themselves. That is also one of my most favorite aspects of this series, and I was surprised at how much we got of all the secondary characters - above the three main ones. Will and Jem's relationship was so very breathtaking, and I still want to cry thinking about their loss of each other. Love what you said about this book being bittersweet. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All these positive reviews are making me reconsider this series! I read book one but never moved past that and now I feel like I should give it a second go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't believe you wrote a coherent review of this book either--I didn't even try. Mine would have consisted of horrible sobbing, even a month after I read it, hah.

    Awesome review. <3

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does anyone think i should start this trilogy before or after i read The mortal Instruments series

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...