Sunday, March 10, 2013

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Publication Date: April 10, 2008
Publisher: Razorbill
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 320
Synopsis: California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, “Audrey, Wait!” a break-up song that’s so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can't hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.
Review: I started this one with sky-high expectations. It seemed like everyone who's ever read this book has fallen in love with it. And yes, Audrey, Wait! is a really fun read, but there are also some problems I had with it.

   Audrey Cuttler is a lively and funny protagonist. Her best friend, Victoria, is just as hilarious and outgoing. These two girls are just incredibly dynamic and I really liked them. Sometimes, they got on my nerves, though, when they indulged in ditsy conversations and the superficial aspects of things. However, overall, these characters were very likable.

   I also liked the love interest, James. He is so cute and dorky and refreshing. He isn't the brooding hottie that is featured in a lot of YA books. Instead, he's the quiet and nervous coworker of Audrey. But don't be fooled. Underneath his geeky exterior is a spontaneous personality and an adorable romantic heart.

   However, there was one major issue that I had with this book: It was so unrealistic. I was constantly rolling my eyes and scoffing at the scenarios that occur. I get the entertainment factor, but it was just so nonsensical, it drove me up a wall! Like, no one would actually care about the girl a song is written about to this extent. And what she buys her dad for Christmas would certainly not end up in magazines. And a company would not send her a reality show request and a BMW. You see what I'm saying? It was so irrational, it irritated me.

   Also, it took me quite a while to get into the book. I felt like some parts were uneventful and really repetitive.

   But anyway, I really loved the ending of Audrey, Wait! It was a bit rushed, but it was also really cute and sweet, and I just really appreciate when things are tied up nicely.

   Audrey, Wait! is a really cute and funny read with vivacious characters and hilarious dialogue. But sometimes, the improbability of it all irked me.

   3.5 keys.






P.S. Did anyone else notice an error of Evan's new girlfriend? She's first introduced as Kayleigh, but then it turns into Ashleigh?

8 comments:

  1. Hmm, even though things seem to be seriously unrealistic (some of the scenarios you described are seriously outrageous) I think going in with the knowledge that this book is a bit of a hyperbole will help me enjoy it some more. Audrey does seem like a fun and spunky girl, as does Victoria. And the idea around this book sounds so neat as well!

    Fabulous review, Sophia! I think going in with some lower expectations and with an idea of the slightly ridiculousness will allow me to enjoy this one even more than you did. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man I have such high expectations for this book. but i REALLY don't like it when a book has unrealistic scenarios because they ruin other parts of the book for me. I am glad at least the love interest was great!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, this one sounds incredibly unrealistic but I think it would be easy to be entertained by it. And, I like the sound of James; with all the paranormal I read, it's easy to forget that real guys aren't incredibly hot with superpowers or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, BMW? Someone needs to write a song about me soon because I need new car desperately! :P LOL, this book sounds very entertaining, Sophia! Events in this book seem hugely exaggerated in order to create humorous situations, but like you said, everyone seems to love this book just fine. The lack of logical situations in this book may throw me off a bit, but this book seems too fun to pass. :)

    Fabulous review, girlie! <3 I adore your reviews so much! x)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing review(: This sounds a lot like The Kiss Off, which I gave 4 stars

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, I didn't notice that.... o.O I totally agree with you about this book, though! I was constantly rolling my eyes, and even though I enjoyed it I kind of wondered...is this one over-rated? LOL, fab review girly!

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Free Work at Home Job (11558)
    Work at home completing simple surveys from home. No
    registration fees. Join today For more information
    visit: (http://www.eazy2earn.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep hearing great things about this one, so I think knowing ahead of time that it is a little silly and unrealistic will help. You're right that the person the song is about wouldn't be such a big deal. I do remember when The Plain White Ts wrote their Hey There Delilah song and she was big news for a while, and even went with him to an awards show, but it wasn't anything THAT crazy. Even so, I do want to read this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...