Saturday, March 23, 2013

Also Known As by Robin Benway


Publication Date: February 26, 2013
Publisher: Bloomsbury Juvenile US
Format: eGalley
Page Count: 320
Synopsis: Being a 16-year-old safecracker and active-duty daughter of international spies has its moments, good and bad. Pros: Seeing the world one crime-solving adventure at a time. Having parents with super cool jobs. Cons: Never staying in one place long enough to have friends or a boyfriend. But for Maggie Silver, the biggest perk of all has been avoiding high school and the accompanying cliques, bad lunches, and frustratingly simple locker combinations.

Then Maggie and her parents are sent to New York for her first solo assignment, and all of that changes. She'll need to attend a private school, avoid the temptation to hack the school's security system, and befriend one aggravatingly cute Jesse Oliver to gain the essential information she needs to crack the case . . . all while trying not to blow her cover.

Review: This book is so much fun! I had the hardest time putting it down because every page was entertaining, heart-warming, and funny.

   Maggie is a teenage spy--a safecracker, to be more specific. But that's all she gets to do: crack safes. Finally, she gets her own assignment. She must befriend a certain boy named Jessie and make him give her the opportunity to erase his dad's report on spies. Or else she and her family (along with all the other spies in their company) are in big trouble. Maggie is a likable character. She's funny, she's sweet, and she's adorably dorky. She kept secrets from her family pretty often, which was frustrating, but I liked Maggie a lot.

   Maggie's new best friend is named Roux, and she's fantastic. She's fiery, but broken as well, and you can't help but like her! (As well as sympathize with her.) She's funny, brave, and a bit crazy. Jessie, the boy Maggie's assigned to, is amazing. He initially comes across as a huge poseur/loser, but as Maggie gets to know him, he becomes cuter and sweeter. And when Jessie takes Maggie out on their first date? So cute!

   The plot is pretty quickly paced, as the book is quite short. It's extremely easy to fly through this one! There were some twists that I didn't see coming, and I liked seeing how Maggie tried putting the pieces together, along with the help of her friends.

   Also Known As is an extremely cute, funny, and entertaining read that will take readers on a romantic (and thrilling) adventure. I recommend it if you're looking for a light and fun read!

   4 keys.



18 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome, thanks for sharing. If you like Spy books then u will love Ally Carter's other series, The Gallagher Girls. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book -- Roux had me cracking up! Great review.

    You can find me here: Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently just read Robin Benway's earlier contemporary Robin, Wait! and really enjoyed it! I have heard the best things about Also Known As and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy myself. Maggie sounds fantastic as well as the love interest, Jessie. I love plots with spies (reminds me of Gallagher Girl!) So it is high on my wish list right now :D

    great review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, the cover of this book really resembles Indonesian's cover of Gallagher Girls series! x) The whole young spy thing reminds me a lot of Gallagher Girls too hehe. But I'm glad you enjoyed this book a lot, Sophia! I hope that Maggie is a fabulous spy - it gets on my nerves when supposed-to-be intelligent girls are clumsy instead. :P Roux and Jessie sound absolutely amazing! <3

    Amazing review, hun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book reminds me of one of Ally Carter's books though I admit I haven't read that series yet. I've just seen it here and there. This does sound amazing though~ I love a good, fun and light read. Especially if there's a cute boy that you must not really fall in love with. Ha =))

    Great review, Sophia :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I haven't seen this book before but it does sound like a lot of fun! Maybe I'll need something like that after I finish all the classics I have to read. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like the perfect feel-good book! I already like the sound of Maggie, and her romance with Jessie. And I don't know what it is about the thought of teenage spies that always puts a grin on my face, but I love the premise for this! I'm glad you had fun reading it, Sophia. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I think I'd like this a lot, Sophia! It sort of reminds me of Heist Society, which is definitely a good thing. THese days, the fact that it isn't very long also helps. I'm in desperate need of a cute, romantic, feel-good read such as this.
    Thank you for the lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been seeing many reviews for this book around, so yours is (so far) the only positive review I remember! ALSO KNOWN AS sounds pretty entertaining. Teenager spy novels aren't as popular as they used to be, and usually, I'm a little hesitant when it comes to them, but I really like the sound of this. I have a feeling I'll like Maggie as much as you did. ;)

    Wonderful review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is going to sound really bad, but I took one look at that cover and decided to pass this one by. It's not a bad cover, it's just not one that makes me go "I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT THIS BOOK IS ABOUT?!" Clearly I fail at life because this book sounds awesome. Kind of like the Ally Carter series and I so enjoy those books. Thanks for making sure I put this on my list Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, this book sounds so cute! I know Sophie from Mundie Moms really loved it too, and it sounds like the perfect thing when you're in the mood for something more light-hearted. :) Thanks for the review!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maggie sounds like a refreshing, fun character. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always up for light books because you never know when you'll need them. And, the characters in this one sound likeable. I actually haven't heard much about this one, Sophia, so thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This really was a fun read! I don't remember TOO much about it, which makes it hard to review, but reading all these reviews of it makes me remember more...sort of. Ha. Anyway, I'm glad you liked this one. I think Robin Benway is a wonderful writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book sounds adorable-- and kind of like Heist Society (which I love!) so I think I'll give it a shot. Jessie and Maggie sound awesome!! Lovely review, Sophia!

    Loves,
    Megan@The Book Babe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, you had me at "cute, funny read" - I am so excited for this book now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds really cute and it reminds me of that Heist Society series. I haven't read that but the synopsis sounds similar. Great review Sophie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just finished several very heavy books in a row so I am eager to read one that is lighter and FUN. I just got this from the library and will be starting it next. Thank you for confirming that this is the right choice for me! Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...