Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pivot Point by Kasie West

Publication Date: February 12, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: eGalley
Page Count: 320
Synopsis: Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.
Review: The concept of Pivot Point is just fantastic. The premise of the book sounded amazing when I read it. But I think that the execution of such a fascinating idea fell flat for me.

   Addie is "Divergent" (which drove me crazy, because all I could think about was the book Divergent) and she can see alternate futures when presented with a choice. So, when her parents are getting divorced, she chooses to Search which parent she'd be better off living with. And thus begins the story.

   There were so many different ways Kasie West could have approached such a concept, and I'm afraid that I was a little disappointed by the path she chose. The book was interesting and it kept me reading, but I wasn't extremely invested into the story. The characters weren't particularly captivating--I didn't care much for our protagonist nor the requisite best friend. I didn't even care much for the love interests (though I did very much dislike one of them as the book went on). Everything was just okay.

   Suddenly, in the last third or so of the novel, things started changing. The plot picked up. Twists were thrown in. I was absorbed. I was itching to know what would happen. My like for the book grew immensely during the last portion of the book.

   A constant problem for me, for some reason, was the writing. I usually never have a problem with the writing in a book, but in Pivot Point, I did. The writing was extremely plain and I was somehow reminded of middle school writing. Also, in the beginning of each chapter, there's a term and a corresponding definition. But sometimes, verbs are described as nouns, and vice versa.

   Pivot Point is an entertaining debut that improved as the page number increased. However, the disappointing execution of a great story idea left me slightly dissatisfied.



9 comments:

  1. I'm only about 10 chapters in but I completely agree with you concerning Divergent! I keep thinking back to Divergent and confusing myself since they both have fairly different meanings in both books. Thus far I really like Addie. She seems super sassy. It's her best friend I'm still on the fence about. It's taken me awhile though to get into the story, which is what is disappointing me the most thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no I'm sorry that this disappointed you! I do think this does have a pretty awesome sounding premise but I don't know how I feel about it being awesome towards the end of the book. Hrm. If I read this one, I'll definitely do so with lower expectations. Thanks for your honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily enough, it was the last part of the book (save for the very end) that fell short for me slightly. It was a little anticlimactic for me. I really liked the writing and characters actually, which is probably why I enjoyed this more than you. Sorry it didn't quite live up to your expectations, but I'm glad it didn't completely disappoint. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt exactly the same way about this one, except that, like Sam, I didn't much care for the last part either. I saw so much potential in this book, and in the end, it fell a bit flat. I'll probably still read the second one because I'm still hopeful that it might turn around and become awesome, but we'll see.
    Awesome review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to learn that this book reminds you of Divergent. I haven't read it but the concept of the story does sound fantastic. Glad to know that you find this an entertaining debut. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sorry you didn't enjoy this book as much as you'd hoped Sophia, I agree the premise sounds highly intriguing! But I'm glad the second half of the book picked up much more for you. Brilliant review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's too bad you didn't like this one as much as you were hoping to, Sophia. I plan on reading this one and hopefully will enjoy it a bit more. Lol, I'm sure the term "divergent" will remind me of Roth's book too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book looks realy great! The concept looks great.

    www.booknerdsjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt pretty indifferent to this book too, Sophia. Like you, I just didn't really care about the characters or the writing. :/ Oh, well.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...