Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Rules by Stacey Kade

Publication Date: April 23, 2013
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Format: eGalley
Page Count: 416
Synopsis1. Never trust anyone.2. Remember they are always searching.3. Don’t get involved.4. Keep your head down.5. Don’t fall in love.

Five simple rules. Ariane Tucker has followed them since the night she escaped from the genetics lab where she was created, the result of combining human and extraterrestrial DNA. Ariane’s survival—and that of her adoptive father—depends on her ability to blend in among the full-blooded humans in a small Wisconsin town, to hide in plain sight at her high school from those who seek to recover their lost (and expensive) “project.”

But when a cruel prank at school goes awry, it puts her in the path of Zane Bradshaw, the police chief’s son and someone who sees too much. Someone who really sees her. After years of trying to be invisible, Ariane finds the attention frightening—and utterly intoxicating. Suddenly, nothing is simple anymore, especially not the rules…
Review: This book was just what I needed. The timing was great. I was worried about reading too many contemporaries, and I was in the mood for something fast, so The Rules was just perfect! The Rules is technically science fiction, but it's mainly set in high school, so it was just a fantastic blend, and right for me.

   As you might already be able to tell, I really enjoyed this book. Our main character is Ariane Tucker, and for the most part, I really liked her. She was strong and stubborn, which I always love in a protagonist. I was easily able to imagine her in my mind, and the whole book played out like a movie. Perhaps it was my investment into the story, or maybe it was Stacey Kade's clear and concise prose, but The Rules was such a breeze to read! The book is over 400 pages, but the pages flew by.

   Back to the characters, Ariane was definitely likable. It's so easy to sympathize with her as she's in an awful situation. However, sometimes, she'd push my buttons. There were times when I felt like she was making the same mistakes over and over, without learning from them. But in the end, her intelligence and wit definitely won me over. She surprised me all the time.

   The book is written in two different points of views--Ariane's and Zane's. I enjoyed both very much, as both characters were complex and intriguing. I didn't prefer one over the other. Zane was a great character. He had the perfect balance of dreaminess and flaws.

   The plot was fast-paced, which is always a good thing for me. It kept me hooked through every chapter. I'll admit, quite a few times, things were predictable, but there were also surprising twists.

   The Rules is an extremely enjoyable novel with its perfect combination of romance, suspense, and easy-to-read prose. The first book isn't even out yet, and I'm already dying for the sequel!

   4.5 keys.


23 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to read this book! It's always great when a novel just flies by despite the huge number of pages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds almost dystopian in nature, I am intrigued :) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so looking forward to this book! I love a stubborn heroine, too, and I like that it's a good mix of sci-fi and contemporary. It's staring at me from my shelf, so I'll have to pick it up soon :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, 4.5 stars! Prior to your review I wasn't too interested in reading this book, but I happen to like science fiction quite a bit, also, great characters and a brisk pace are easy components to sell me right away. Marvelous review, Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen too many reviews of this one yet, but it's definitely going on my TBR list. We have such similar tastes, Sophia, so I'd think I'd love this one as well! I love reading a good sci-fi novel, and especially love it when a book is fast paced. I'm a total sucker for action, and it definitely seems like this book has a ton of it! The characters also seem really likable, even though the main character seems a little annoying at times, it seems like she grows by the end, which is always nice to see in a book. =)

    Fantastic review Sophia! I'll definitely have to get a copy of this book when April rolls around. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was intrigued by the synopsis when I first read it months ago, and now I'm even more excited to learn that you breezed it through and enjoyed reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is a brilliant review Sophia, I've had my eye on this book for sometime too, so I'm glad it worked out for you. I love to mix it up once in a while with my reads and I think this would be perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Stacey Kade's A Ghost and a Goth Trilogy, so I'm really excited for this one! I'm so glad you enjoyed it since I was a little worried that Kade wouldn't be able to pull off a sci-fi/dystopian novel, but now I just cannot wait! :D Amazing review, Sophia!

    ~Keertana @ Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh! So excited for this book Sophia! I'm so glad you loved it:) Dual POVs are really growing on me, so I'm excited that we get both Ariane and Zane's perspectives. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Stacey Kade. Not only her books (which are totally awesome) but because she's a genuinely awesome person who really connects with the young'ins. Not that I consider myself old or anything...

    So yeah, I've been eager to read this. BECAUSE IT'S STACEY FREAKIN' KADE. I'm so glad you enjoyed this Sophia! YAY FOR LIKABLE PROTAGS (though I think no one is ever going to replace Alona as my favorite mean girl) And I love how we get the double POV again since it worked so well with the Ghost and the Goth.

    Great review :D

    Gellie @A Discombobulated Balladry

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book looks like a great science fiction novel (one of my favorite genres!) that has many layers to it. I also love how even though this is a science fiction novel, the setting is at a high school. I find that this puts realism into something that is scientifically fiction. I also *love* fast paced books. I agree with you that just because a book is long doesn't mean that it can't be quick paced. I will definitely have to add this to my list :)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like an amazing read, so I'm glad it lives up to that impression! Ariane sounds like a great protag despite the flaws. And of course I'm intrigued by Zane. ;) It's good to hear that this is a quick book depsite the length; quantity doesn't always equal quality, so this looks even more
    impressive. Wonderful review, Sophia!

    PS - thanks for stopping by my blog, yours is gorgeous. I'm now a follower. :)

    Aa'Ishah @ Reading Under the Stars

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember loving the alternating POVs in The Ghost and the Goth so I'm sure I'm going to like it in this one as well. I'm not a big sci-fi fan and had no idea that the book was so thick, but you know I'm dying to read this one because I had a feeling it would be full of action. Thanks for confirming that, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is god to mix up genres sometimes, even though I love contemp, they can wear me out emotionally. I am really getting into more sci-fi and this is the first I've heard of this, so thanks for making me aware of it!

    Great review, can't wait to read this now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a really fun mixed genre novel! The plot sounds very unique and love that it's fast paced. Great review and happy new year, Sophia xD

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book sounds like it has the right mix for me as well, fast paced, alternating POV and smart, flawed characters? Oh yes. It definitely sounds like a fun and enjoyable read, I'll add it to my TBR. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a big fan of the fast-paced thriller now, too--and this one sounds great! I also like the alternate POVs when they're done well, so I can't wait to see how the author handles that here. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review :D Glad you loved this book :) It does look pretty awesome ;) Glad to hear the characters and romance is great :)
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know I can ALWAYS depend on Stacey Kade for a lovable read. She's just too awesome at what she writes to fail me. I'M MAD THAT DISNEY IS SO STINGY. I want to read this one so bad! You lucky dove! But I'm happy that you're able to tell all of us that it's a s great as I anticipated ;D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been seeing this one aroung the blogosphere. It sounds really good and after reading your review I've added it to my tbr pile (which is so huge!). I wasn't expecting it to be this good as you described it but now I surely will give it a chance.
    Great review!

    Rachel @ Books to Consider

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...