Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Publication Date: October 23, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Format: ARC
Page Count: 544
Synopsis: Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.

She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.

They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.

She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?
Review: I remember really liking The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, but I couldn't remember much of the plot or the characters. This proved to be a problem for me when diving into the sequel. Characters would be mentioned and I wouldn't remember who they were. It took me awhile to even realize that Daniel is Mara's older brother, not her younger brother.

   But once I got refreshed, it was easier to read. Because the book was really thick, I think there were lots of parts where things were drawn out unnecessarily. I found myself getting frustrated really easily throughout this novel. There were scenes where I was rolling my eyes, wanting the plot to just move. I think one of my main problems with this book, besides the dragging plot line, was that I didn't connect with Mara. I liked her in the first book, but in this book, I was just annoyed. I wanted her to be more active and--I don't know--on her feet (?) to find things out, instead of being too scared and needing Noah so much.

   The creep factor in this book was definitely high. The scariness of Mara's situations were undoubtedly intense. I got chills and goosebumps, and I couldn't help but pity Mara for being in such a crappy situation. Hopefully, things will get better for her in the third book, because she gets put through so much in this installment.

   The second book once again ends in an awful cliffhanger. But this time, I'm not sure if I'll be too keen on reading the third book. The Evolution of Mara Dyer contains lots of "hold your breath" moments, but it was also a disappointment for me after loving the first book as much as I did. Of course, that's just how I felt, and after looking on Goodreads, it seems like I'm one of the very few that didn't love it!

   2 keys.




17 comments:

  1. Oh no, I still need to read book one *eyes bookshelf* so sorry book two let you down

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry this one disappointed you, Sophia! It's good that it was creepy and intense, I like the sound of that, but I'm sorry you weren't happy with it overall. I hate cliffhangers with a fiery passion!
    Great review, dear. I missed reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the first book too, loved it in fact, but I can't seem to recall many of the details! You mention Daniel there and I'm like WHO?! I haven't been as enthusiastic about this book as I thought I might be and I don't think I'll actually read it now. But anyway, lovely review, Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I'm sorry that this book was a disappointment for you, Sophia! I haven't read the first book yet but I know that a lot of people enjoyed it very much. It's too bad that this book let you down, especially since you liked the first book very much! Maybe I'm going to push the first book back for now. Thank you for your helpful, amazing review, Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for the creep factor but it sucks that you couldn't relate to mara as much. i loved the way the unbecoming of mara dyer was written but don't think the unnecessary twists and black-outs that most reviewers had problems with in evolution sound appealing. thanks for the honest review, sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no sorry you didn't love The Evolution of Mara Dyer. I'm about 100 pages into this one but had to put it aside because I had to read some other review books first. I'm enjoying it so far but the creep factor is definitely higher in this one. I'm a little nervous about the ending now though. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the review!Awww...I currently have The Evolution of Mara Dyer on hold at the library and I was going to read it along with book 1 back to back.
    At 544 pages, and because you seemed disappointed with it (cliffhangers! ARGH!) I am debating if I should push it back on my TBR pile.

    Lilian @ A Novel Toybox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was expecting a cliffhanger and so when it actually happened I was like, "oh that was it? okay. moving on." I did pity Mara too and I am quite curious to see how this series wraps up. It's certainly an intriguing one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no, how I loathe cliffhangers. :( The premise and cover of this series is absolutely spellbinding, but I'm not to keen with starting it based on your (and many other astute reviewers') negative opinions. Great review as always, Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like exactly the same as you! I read the first book and really enjoyed it. But can't remember what happened other than there was a huge cliff hanger at the end and I really don't want to read the 2nd. Sorry you didn't enjoy it ;( I hate slow icing plots and when the focus is on the men! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, I'm sad you couldn't connect with Mara as much in this installment! I loved book one, but I honestly don't remember much either. I think I'll go reread book one so I don't end up in the same situation as you! I'm still unbearably excited for the creep-factor, and of course, Noah. Thanks for being honest though, brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry you didn't like this one, Sophia! I do admit that I wasn't the biggest fan of the first book, and I wasn't really planning on reading this one in the near future. After this I'll probably just put it off even more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I will feel the same way as you, I re-read the first boko yesterday and it left me feeling so annoyed and confused and I'm dreading book #2!

    Great review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm back from my blogging break!

    Aw, it's too bad you found the sequel disappointing, Sophia. I myself haven't read the first book in the series as I've been wary of the hype (and have heard Noah resembles Patch - a character I very much disliked). Thanks for your honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sophia, I am so glad I read this! I have been putting off reading or buying the book for some unknown reason. I just remember being absorbed in the first book and the end was annoying. I don't think I won't bother with this one. I've read at least one other review that said the story was pointless as told by Mara because she doesn't do anything noteworthy. I remember liking Noah, but the book did come out when British boys were the thing in YA. I wish it had been better for you! I hate that disappointed feeling after you've wasted hours of your life on a bad book.
    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read the first book and this book here. Just as the same as the first one, I am not able to put the book down. Every chance I had to read it, I read it. And of course the love between Mara and Noah has this strong feel to it but at the same time I feel like they should have made Mara seem stronger than what she was. So, I just hope that the third book won't be a fail and it brings out another character in Mara that has not been unleashed.

    Zaira Lynn (Fishing Charter Skagway)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...