Friday, December 21, 2012

Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer

Publication Date: June 26, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Format: ARC
Page Count: 352
SynopsisGigi, Bea, and Neerja are best friends and total overachievers. Even if they aren't the most popular girls in school, they aren't too worried. They know their "real" lives will begin once they get to their Ivy League colleges. There will be ivy, and there will be cute guys in the libraries (hopefully with English accents)! But when an unexpected event shows them they're missing out on the full high school experience, it's time to come out of the honors lounge and into the spotlight. They make a pact: They will each take on their greatest challenge--and they will totally "rock" it.

Gigi decides to run for student rep, but she'll have to get over her fear of public speaking--and go head-to-head with gorgeous California Will. Bea used to be one of the best skiers around, until she was derailed. It could be time for her to take the plunge again. And Neerja loves the drama club but has always stayed behind the scenes--until now.

These friends are determined to show the world that smart girls really can get what they want--but that could mean getting way more attention than they ever bargained for. . . .
Review: I received this book for review a looong time ago, and I am so ashamed to have not read this until now. I wasn't expecting much from this book, to be frank. I was going to read it for the sake of just reading it. But quickly, I became immersed in Gigi's world of academics and best friends. And I immediately decided that: (1) Gigi should be real and be my best friend, and (2) this book is crazy great.

   Gigi is a sophomore, a grade above me, and so I had a personal connection with her. Also, like I am, Gigi is obsessed with her grades. She's a lovely character, and her loyalty to her friends is so firm! I loved it. Bea and Neerja are fabulous best friends. The bond between the three girls is so beautiful. Everyone should have a friendship like these three.

   The characters were just fantastic in this book! I loved Mike so much. He was just the sweetest boy ever. Will, on the other hand, brought a sneer to my face. I liked how friendly Sienna was, despite the "mean popular girl" stereotype, and I loved how much I disliked Ava. The pull I had to each of the characters was really great to experience. I was just so into the book and all the characters! It was so easy to enjoy this novel.

   Sarah Strohmeyer's writing is easy to read and has bursts of delightful humor. Smart Girls Get What They Want takes readers on a lovable ride of smart girls, cute boys, and looking beneath the surface.

   4.5 keys.


18 comments:

  1. There's nothing better than when a book surprises you like this! Based on the cover and title, I wouldn't have expected much either, but I'm glad this turned out differently from what you expected.
    Great review, Sophia. I love how cute this sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wasn't really interested in reading this book either until my friend sent it to me! it took me by surprise because it was endearing & heartfelt. lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one surprised me too! I actually read it right away, but it was one I wasn't planning on reading, it just showed up. But I started it and totally fell in love! It was so fun! I'm glad you thought so too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know whats funny, I am your 890 follower and I just got my 990 follower today too. Kinda silly, but I thought it was kinda neat.
    I am new to your blog..
    I love when you think a book will be ho-hum-ish and it rocks your socks off!
    Thats the best book gift ever.
    Hope to see you around the book-o-sphere :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sophia!! It's so nice to meet you! I love meeting fellow bloggers!! :) And thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog... I think your blog is just so cute and lovely and I look forward to reading more of your posts. Great, great review!! I LOVED this book so much, and I'm so happy you liked it as well. Mike was such a nice character, so cute and adorable! Lovely review, sweetie. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want this book so much!!! How many books out there are about about smart girls for smart girls? I'm obsessed with my grades too and I feel I'd love Gigi!!! I want her as a friend too :D And Mike sounds so terribly sweet - cute guys are a plus!

    Fab review, Sophia <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, I ADORE the title of this book. :) This sounds hilarious, so sweet and the characters! *sigh* I would love to meet them. :) Stunning review and happy holidays, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no interest in reading this one prior to your review, Sophia. You've at least made me want to give it a try because of the writing and characters. Gigi sounds a lot like me so if she was real, I'm sure we'd bond too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen reviews on this book and I definitely would love to give it a go ;) And like Leanne, I really adore the title of this book too!

    Awesome review, Sophia ♥ Happy holidays and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh yay! This was a really sweet and funny book - I loved Gigi and her friends, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s I realised you were missing from our blogroll, so I've now added your blog! :)

      Delete
  11. OMG I LOVED THIS BOOK. I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH I WANTED TO CRY. IT WAS SO EPICALLY AMAZING. SO AMAZING.

    Gigi she's not your stereotypical nerd. Okay, she really cares about grades, but she does TONS of other extracurriculars and she loves her friends and she's hilarious and she is just such a realistic and compelling character! I'm not kidding, I wanted to dance in circles after I finished reading it. In fact, I reread it after I finished because THAT is how absolutely obsessed I was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pfft and I forgot to add the end to my comment:

      YAYYY I'm so happy you loved this book too! SERIOUSLY. Will at first was like all sweet, and then he turned all jerkface and I was like "DIE BOY." But don't you LOVE Mike?!?!? I am so obsessed with him. *cries*

      Delete
  12. This sounds the perfect thing to read when you're in the mood for something cute and light-hearted! Something about the cover didn't really appeal to me, but I think I'll have to pick up this book now. Nicely reviewed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for this. FYI, the paperback cover is verrrry cute and verrry different!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found this blog today and I am loving it. You have some great reviews and interesting books. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...