Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Publication Date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 387
SynopsisHumans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
Review: Maybe it's just me, but I didn't really see too many similarities to Cinderella in this book. Frankly, that's a good thing, because Cinderella happens to be my least favorite fairy tale. She always came across to me as a really hopeless girl who only received her wishes because of a fairy godmother. Way to make things happen on your own, Cinderella. But I digress. Cinder (the character) was much different than Cinderella (the princess), and Cinder (the book) was much better than Cinderella (the fairy tale).

   Cinder automatically breaks the mold of the typical YA heroine by being a cyborg. She's different, although there are definitely many similarities between cyborgs and humans. Cinder is a likable character. She's independent, caring, and has the right amount of hotheadedness.

   The plot moves along well. There is always something to keep the reader interested. Scientists are working to find a cure for an awful plague that's spreading throughout New Beijing. Cinder is caught between freedom and revealing her true identity. And on top of that, there's a war on the horizon that seems pretty darn inevitable.

   There was a lot of great things going on for this book. However, there were two big problems for me: the romance and the predictability. Kai is a perfect gentleman, but he somehow lacks that intrigue, that spark that pulls the reader in. He is kind and smart, yes, but there is just something missing. Also, the story was very predictable. It wasn't as exciting as it could have been due to this. Although I'm not sure whether it's because Marissa Meyer did a good job of foreshadowing or if the plot was just particularly predictable, either way, I wish it could've been more surprising.

   Cinder weaves together strands of science fiction, fairy tale, and mystery to create an entertaining and enjoyable novel. It's definitely worth a read!

   4 keys.


*On a personal note* I know I've been very inactive and absent lately, and I'm sorry to say that I don't have a concrete excuse. All I can say is that I just started freshman year of high school in the IB program, and the workload has been overwhelming, especially in math. I've been spending hours doing homework, sleeping early to wake up at six for band practice, etc. It's difficult to keep up with, and it's nearly impossible to find time to read. I hope I can find time for reading and blogging, but until then, I'm afraid my blog will be updated very sporadically. I apologize for the lame excuse.

13 comments:

  1. Great review! I thought this was very predictable too, but I enjoyed it overall. I'm looking forward to Scarlet now. :)

    And that's not a lame excuse at all! Sometimes it's difficult to squeeze everything in. It's completely understandable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent honest review! I did the whole "Five Chapter Sampler" and was hooked, I did not expect for it to be as colorful as it was!

    Thanks for your review, can't wait until I can cross this one off my TBR list!

    Amber Elise @ Du Livre

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been debating between reading this now or waiting until the whole series has been published. Like you, I'm not big on Cinderalla (or fairytale retellings in general, actually), so I held off in spite of everyone's positive reviews. So, yeah, thanks for adding your opinion to the rest. I still have no idea how soon I plan on picking this up, haha.

    Oh, and busy school is not a lame excuse at all, Sophia! Everyone gets that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I know anyone who was actually surprised by the twist. Even though it was predictable, I did enjoy this book and I really feel like the next one will be even BETTER. I have faith!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! Kai was totally a great character, but he did lack that spark... And Cinder was cool but I didn't really connect with her. Annnnd there were the predictable parts! BUT...it kept me up soooo late because I was just so into it, so that counts for something, right?? :D

    Great review!!
    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
  6. *high fives* Cinderella is my least favourite princess too but I loved this one - even if it was predictable - because of how Meyer changed it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How could Cinderella be your least favorite princess?! Just kidding, though, I actually totally understand why you don't like Cinderella. It's actually a wonder that I loved her as a kid. Anyways, I'm happy to hear that you liked this book Sophia! I liked how it strayed from the original, and I loved the main character. She was different, yet still really likable! I agree about the predictability- I totally saw some things coming, but it didn't bother me too much. And I didn't fall for Kai like I wished I would have. =P

    And don't worry about not being very active on your blog Sophia! Being a freshman too this year, I TOTALLY understand what you're going through! I'm taking a bajillion AP and Pre-AP classes this year, and my schedule is loaded (although, I did hear that IB is even HARDER, which I can't even wrap my mind around!). Good luck, and know that we miss you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo! Yay! that Cinderella isn't the Cinderella we know! And now I have that song of Destiny's Child in my head! (That one from Charlie's Angels) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this review. You are hilarious. By the way, good luck with IB! I remember being so swamped with AP classes that I didn't even look into joining IB. It's worth it in the end!

    S @ Oh! Paper Pages

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! Aww~ that's too bad about the romance, though, I love a good romance in a story~<3 I just bought this the other day and plan to crack it open this weekend while I wait for Pushing the Limits! It sounds like a fun read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed this one, and I do agree that it's much better than the original Cinderella, which I'm not a big fan of either. :)

    Angie @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice review, Sofia! I'm probably the only reader who hasn't read Cinder as of yet (I don't know... the concept of a Cinderella fairytale + cyborgs + New Beijing, while creative, doesn't really appeal to me) but I'm really pleased you were impressed by this regardless! Cinder sounds like a wonderful heroine as well, and so kick-ass. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...