Saturday, September 22, 2012

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Publication Date: September 18, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster BFYR
Format: ARC
Page Count: 368
SynopsisBIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.
Review: If Burn for Burn was a food, I think it'd be potato chips--addictive, enjoyable, but not substantially filling. Let me explain.

   Burn for Burn is definitely an entertaining book. But I guess I was expecting a little more, especially since Jenny Han's Summer series is one of my favorites. The three main characters, Mary, Lillia, and Kat were all fun to read about, as each had their own voice and history, but they lacked the depth I was accustomed to while reading Jenny Han's other books. (I know I'm mentioning Jenny Han a lot, even though she co-wrote it with Siobhan Vivian, but it's because I haven't read much of Siobhan's books. Only one, actually.)

   The plot was definitely really interesting. It kept me turning pages and wanting to know every vengeful act. The revenge plans were so entertaining. I'm not sure if I should feel bad for liking reading about revenge, or if it's just the effect of a good book, but either way, I couldn't help but root for the three girls.

   The ending felt rushed. A lot of things went on within a small number of pages, and I wished the authors could have elaborated more on the ending. Also, the ending felt abrupt. I was looking forward to a more solid conclusion than what was given.

   I will say that I'm pretty hooked on this series! I can't wait for the second and how the revenge story continues. Burn for Burn is an exciting and vengeful story that will keep you turning the pages and wondering about the subtle supernatural elements.

   4 keys.



14 comments:

  1. I've been looking forward to this one. Revenge is a topic that is not discussed enough in YA. I love the idea that these girl band together. I am definitely adding it to my tbr list. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum potato chips! I've heard mixed things about this book and currently have a copy checked out from my library that I am excited to read. I really like reading about revenge (lol) so I'm curious to see how this one pulls it off. A lot of people have said the same thing about the ending, I don't think I'm looking forward to THAT. Anyway, wonderful review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. The analogy to potato chips is perfect for this book Sophia! I agree with you 100% on everything you said in your review. The characters were great, but I wish they had more depth (although I can't compare to Han's other books, since I haven't read her Summer series...). But the plot was entertaining, I'll give it that. And that ending was SO rushed. I was left with way too many questions! It makes me want the next book NOW.

    Fabulous review Sophia! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, such ashame that this didn't live up to your expectations. I'm REALLY excited to read Burn for Burn since I'm a huge fan of Jenny Han's Summer series, too! But to hear that whilst you enjoyed it, you expected more from it. This makes me nervous as I have high hopes for this... Can't wit for my copy to arrive so I can dive in.

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Jenny Han Summer series so I can't wait to read Burn for Burn !! Glad to know you enjoyed it Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I completely agree about the ending. It felt like such an odd place to stop the book! I enjoyed this in the end too though and can't wait to read the next one. Brilliant review, Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo love the potato chip analogy Sophia, brilliant:) I don't love that the ending on this one is rushed and then a bit abrupt, that always drives me crazy. We spend all this time with the build up,so then when we're suddenly ripped away from the story it's hard to deal with. Still, glad you enjoyed this one overall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read any of Jenny Han's or Siobhan Vivian's books and even though I've seen some good reviews for this one and I like the revenge concept, I can't make myself seem to want to pick it up. It's weird, I know! I guess I'll just read your review, Sophia, to find out what happens next :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you liked this one, though it's too bad that the characters didn't wow you—characters are by and large what matter most to me in any given book (I think you said once that you're the same way, actually). I might give this a try, though—it sounds pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooohhh I am definitely intrigued by the idea of this story...not sure if it'll totally be the book for me, but I'm excited to read it someday - hopefully soon! :) Great review!

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
  11. But I love potato chips! :D

    In a seriousness, I'm glad you still enjoyed the book despite being disappointed in certain aspects of it.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  12. Highly qualified information because it can provide useful info thanks.
    bahaya penyakit ginjal bocor dan cara mengobatinya

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...