Sunday, August 5, 2012

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead


Publication Date: August 16, 2007
Publisher: Razorbill
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 332
SynopsisSt. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger...
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.

Review: After being told so many times by a close blogging friend to read this book, I finally got myself a copy. With the huge fanbase and hype around this series, I had these expectations:
  • a lovable, kick-butt heroine
  • a swoon-worthy love interest
  • lots of similarities to Half-Blood (or vice versa)
  • an all around amazing "omg new favorite" book
   Unfortunately... you guys know how this sentence is going to end--I was a bit disappointed. Mostly with the main character. Rose is a very popular and loved heroine around the blogosphere. However, I didn't like her all that much (*raises shield to block the hate I know I'm going to get*). She came across as very rude, jealous, and pompous. She thought she was better than everybody else, she was extremely infatuated with all things boy, and--my goodness--her self esteem was higher than the Empire State Building. She constantly reminded the reader that her body was very curvy and desirable. She constantly deemed other students at the academy "lame" or "boring" which her best friend called her out on a few times. As for her jealousy, oh my goodness. Rose ruined her best friend's friendship with a boy for a lot of the book because she was jealous. She patched it up later, but seriously, to do that to your best friend? Awful. Fortunately, I did really like her starting from the last third of the book. She brought out her kick-butt side. She was also very loyal. But all in all, Rose Hathaway did not float my boat.

   Even though Rose was not my favorite heroine ever, I did enjoy some other characters, particularly Lissa. Lissa is Rose's best friend and has a lot going on. She's special. She's kind. And she also has some darkness in her. I really sympathized with Lissa, much more than I did Rose. I found Lissa more enjoyable and relatable. I also loved Christian. I would actually like to read a book in Lissa's point of view, both because I like Lissa and because I want some more Christian. 

   As for Rose's love interest, the blogger-famous Dimitri Belikov... I expected a little more from him. He was a pretty nice guy, though I didn't find myself swooning over him. As a reader, I didn't get to see him often, so I don't really have any strong feelings towards him.

   I did a lot of similarities to Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout, probably more than two published books should have. But after the first books, both series go off in completely different directions, so I'm not too bothered.

   I felt like nothing really happened for the first half of the book. But once the plot got rolling, I was absorbed. I definitely think that I liked the book more and more as the page number increased. Considering this, I think I might try the next book in the series. One thing that I really, really loved about this book was the ending. It was so satisfying and a non-cliffhanger (thank goodness--I'm so tired of cliffhanger endings).

   2.5 keys.


10 comments:

  1. I felt the same about Rose. Hated her. She's the reason that I pretty much hated the series (though there were elements that I liked, so I continued with the Bloodlines spin-off, which I'm really enjoying). So yeah. You're not alone in that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, don't worry about it, hun! We can't all like the same books/characters! I really like Rose and Dimitri but I'm sure there are many people who don't :)

    You might prefer the new series, Bloodlines, Rose is a very minor character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started reading Half-Blood and I also want to read this book. I wonder if I'll catch any similarities. I;m a little lukewarm on this book but I still want to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am actually in the same place you are. I have heard so much about this book, so I went ahead and got it from the library. I haven't read it yet, I think I will this weekend.

    Is it weird (and maybe this has to do with all the crush tourneys) that I can maybe name all the male characters, but none of the female characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try the next book!! Rose grows on you, and grows a ton through out the entire series ;) The hard thing about this book is that it is very similar to Half-blood but comparing them sucks becuase the just completly, as you said, go in different directions. Looking forward to your next review!

    Haley@www.passingthepages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess after all the hype it's difficult not to expect too much from a book. I agree with your points about Rose! She never really appealed to me at first, but she does definitely get better as the series progresses. It's a shame this wasn't a better read for you. Lovely, honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's like half the readers of this book didn't like the first two books as much... I just love the whole series itself. Hope u would read the rest of the books in the series. It is totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, it's too bad you found the first book a bit of a disappointment, Sophia. I loved this series right from the beginning but I've heard a lot of people get sucked into it around the third book or so.

    As for the similarities to Half-Blood, this series was actually published first so it's the other way around :) That was one of the things I liked about Half-Blood - Alex reminds me of Rose - but annoyed me too because there were just too many similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand your thoughts on this one. I have to say I wasn't overly blown away with books one and two in this series but beyond that the series really picks up. I say keep going and give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww darling, it's such a shame you couldn't enjoy this one. ;( But I'll agree with you there -- I'm not one of the crazy fans who obsessed over the stoic Dimitri. My tastes lie in Adrian and Christian. ;D (THIS IS EVEN FURTHER PROOF WE HAVE THE SAME TASTES IN SEXY MEN.) Well, I already read your Frostbite review (which I will be commenting in a few) so I know you like Adrian hehe. ;3 It most definitely gets better throughout the series, so I really hope you do stick with it! :D <3 Wonderfully written review, girly~ It was very insightful :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...