Monday, August 20, 2012

The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna

Publication Date: August 28, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Format: ARC
Page Count: 432
Synopsis: Eva’s life is not her own. She is a creation, an abomination—an echo. Made by the Weavers as a copy of someone else, she is expected to replace a girl named Amarra, her “other”, if she ever died. Eva studies what Amarra does, what she eats, what it’s like to kiss her boyfriend, Ray. So when Amarra is killed in a car crash, Eva should be ready.

But fifteen years of studying never prepared her for this.
Now she must abandon everything she’s ever known—the guardians who raised her, the boy she’s forbidden to love—to move to India and convince the world that Amarra is still alive.

What Eva finds is a grief-stricken family; parents unsure how to handle this echo they thought they wanted; and Ray, who knew every detail, every contour of Amarra. And when Eva is unexpectedly dealt a fatal blow that will change her existence forever, she is forced to choose: Stay and live out her years as a copy or leave and risk it all for the freedom to be an original. To be Eva.
Review: Usually, I read reviews of a book before reading it myself, but that wasn't the case with The Lost Girl. Maybe that's why I loved it so much, maybe it was just because the book is that great. Either way, though, this book isn't one you want to miss.

   Eva is a character you can't help but like. She might sometimes act rashly, but her heart is in the right place, and her mind is level. She has so much vulnerability, yet loves to act tougher than she is. The fact that she tries her best to put on a brave face in every uncomfortable situation she's put in (and she's placed in a lot) is so admirable.

   There's a lot more to this book than I initially thought. I think this book really focuses on Eva's independence and the morals of the society. There's a lot going on, especially in the repressive position Eva is put under. She wants to break free and be her own person, but the fact that she's an echo causes her much distress and pressure. You can really sympathize with Eva as you read. There's much emotion in this book.

   I really loved the characters in this book. Eva was a fabulous protagonist. Her caretaker in the beginning of the book, Mina Ma, was just hilarious and lovely. Sean, the love interest, was smart and very likable. Matthew, Eva's creator, was icy, mysterious, and yet, although he's somewhat a villain, he also tries to hide his soft side, which I think readers may see a little of. Amarra, Eva's other (the girl she was modeled after), was pretty awful. I hated her along side Eva. Amarra sought out to destroy Eva even before she had a chance to try.

   The Lost Girl really blew me away with the deep emotions it stirred, the extremely readable prose, and the impossibility to put it down. I highly recommend this book. It's one of my favorites of the year.

   5 keys.

 

15 comments:

  1. Wow! You don't often give out five keys. The whole premise of this book intrigues me and I am sure it does ellicit a whole range of emotions. I want to meet Sean! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely have to read this book now! I haven't read very many reviews for it but I do really like the sound of the characters. I'm glad you were blown away, Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Heidi's statement- FIVE keys? Oh my, I must add this to my to-read list, then! Excellent review, Sophia. :) I love deep, emotional books with profoundly realistic characters as well! And the cover is lovely- so exotic and atmospheric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read another fantastic review of this one and it sounds like one that would really make me think. I'm definitely going to have to make sure to watch for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review, Sophia! I will definitely be checking this out. After reading the blurb I was already sympathizing with Eva. I'm very curious to see how things will turn out for her. She seems like a very impressive and admirable character. I think I already like her. Haha! So glad you enjoyed this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eva sounds like a character we could all relate to in some way or another. And the way you described her is very likable.<3 Oooh, I hope Sean is a swoon-worthy book-boyfriend!

    The synopsis of this would be enough to draw you in, but thanks to your review, I'll be keeping my eye out for this one.(:

    New follower via GFC, lovely blog, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure how I hadn't heard of this before. I love your review Sophia, and it's really encouraged me to put it on my already overflowing TBR pile! I will definitely check this one out. Thanks for sharing!

    Steph @ SteppingOutOfThePage.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhhh! I can't wait for this one Sophia! I always love when I pick up a book I have absolutely no expectations (good or bad) for and it absolutely blows me away. This happened with Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris and that book is sitting on my favorites shelf:) Can't wait to try this one for myself, Eva sounds like an amazing heroine. Thanks so much for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a unique idea for a book! I was really intrigued by that blurb. Your review was brilliant, and I'm so glad you enjoyed this so much, Sophia. I'm going to be looking out for The Lost Girl now!

    Also, new follower through GFC. I really love your blog, and will be visiting lots without a doubt.

    Jessica
    www.bookedupbloggers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh Sophia! This is going to be a good one for me, I can just feel it! (And I really really really love that feeling!) Thanks for the informative review - I'll be reading this soooon! :D

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read so many glowing reviews of this book, so I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it! I can't wait to get my hands on it! I especially love that feeling when a book surprises you by being so much more than you expected, so I'm glad this novel was like that and you liked it so much. I think I might just have to buy this one! Wonderful review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sophia, I haven't read any reviews for this one but since you loved it, I'm going to add it to my wishlist. The characters sound fabulous and I'm excited that it's set in India - foreign settings are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eeeeeeeee! I'm not reading this review yet since I have to write mine within the next week, but I saw your rating. THRILLED that you loved it. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read much about this but I enjoyed your review and you've convinced me I need to read this just by mentioning the wonderful characters and how emotional it was!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I can tell how much you love this book! I keep on confusing this with other books but it sounds AMAZING. I love it when characters are likable and I like that you can sort of the see the villain's soft side too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...