Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Paper Towns by John Green

Publication Date: October 16, 2008
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 305
SynopsisQuentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life--dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge--he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues--and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.
Review: I'm a fan of John Green's books, so I had high expectations for this one. I'd heard that this book is one of his better ones, and I was very excited to read it.

   I've noticed that all of John's protagonists are pretty similar (minus Hazel from TFioS). They have the same feel to them--not too popular, geeky in an endearing way, and pretty brainy. Quentin was no different. Although I did like Quentin's character for the most part, I found him rather obsessive over Margo. She was all he thought about, and I understand that the mystery surrounds her, but even Margo's friends weren't as invested as Quentin was. It's strange because after their childhood friendship, Margo and Quentin never even spoke to each other before the night she disappeared.

   I think that I would've really loved this book if I liked Margo. However, I just didn't. I mean, I could see why a lot of people did. She did the things that no one dared to. She had spunk and a certain charisma. But for some reason, I just didn't connect with her character. She was difficult to understand. She ran away often and acted rashly. I think because she was such a secretive person, I had a hard time clicking with her.

   Like all of John's books, this book is loaded with metaphors and humor. Honestly, this book had me laughing out loud in several parts, especially throughout the road trip. My goodness, Ben Starling (one of Quentin's friends) was just so hilarious.

   John Green's signature intellectual writing style and subtle humor make Paper Towns a likable book. But it fell a little flat to my expectations.

   3.5 keys.



17 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your review! I loved the first part of this one, and parts of the road trip were hilarious, but Margo kept me from fully enjoying it. She has to be the most infuriating character that I've ever come across.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, hun! I haven't read any of John's own books but I really want to. It's hard to connect with a book when you don't like the main character but I still want to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm. I honestly felt like Margo wasn't a main character so much as someone who created some action in the book. I loved Q's voice and Ben! Ben was hysterical and actually said some pretty insightful things as the book went on.

    I thought it was a solid book and I am constantly recommending it to people. I also should say that it was the first John Green book I ever read so I didn't have anything to compare it to at the time. (This also maybe why I've been slow to read the two others I have sitting on my bookshelf at home.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite your issues with Margo, I'm glad you still enjoyed the writing. I haven't yet read a John Green book (I must be the only one left!) and can't wait to try something of his soon. Brilliant review, Sophia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this author either. Glad overall it was an enjoyable read and that you got some laughs. That is always a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by John Green yet but I've seen his videos and they're hysterical :) I'm not surprised his humour translates into his writing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I'm a big John Green fan and this is one of the few books I have left that I have not read yet. I have also noticed that many of his protagonists are similar but I seem to love them all. Also I like that this book is funny because I love Green's humor. Definitely hoping to find time to read this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been hoping for a review since the cover caught my eye. From the comments as well it seems like I'll pick this one up if nothing else catches my eye, but I won't slide it to the top of my pile. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hilarious characters and I have never read a book by John Green. I've been meaning too though. I was going to start on his The Fault in Our Stars, but I heard it was rather a tear-inducing novel, so maybe I'll start on Paper Towns instead. Thanks for the review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Paper Towns is the only John Green book I haven't read. Honestly, I'm kinda scared to as the reviews make me feel it's gonna be my least favorite of all his books. But then again there are people who love this book. I have to find out for myself! Glad you found it hilarious, Sophia! Sorry it was a bit flat for you overall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paper Towns is the next book I'm planning to read, I love John's writing style and though his characters are somewhat similar I still love them. It's sad that Margo kept you from enjoying this book as much but I'm happy you got some laughs from it. I love the friendships and relationships John builds in his book, that's what I'm most looking forward to reading in Paper Towns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never read a JG book. (Don't hit me!) Partly because I keep hearing that all his books are the same. :( I'm sorry to hear this was a disappointment.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!
    I just came across your site and it is really lovely! I happily followed you and will enjoy reading your updates. You can find me over at Rainy Day Reads, www.rainydayreads.com It would be great if you could stop by and I would love to have a fellow book lover as a new follower.
    Christine x
    Rainy Day Reads
    www.rainydayreads.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the ONLY book of his I haven't read yet. I get bothered by characters that act rashly and sometimes I don't love all of John's characters. But I tend to enjoy the books anyway and get plenty of laughs so I really need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree!! This was my third John Green book (Looking for Alaska & TFiOS were the others) and I could really see the John Green-ness in this one. It was good, I guess, but nothing mind blowing for me. I didn't really understand Margo either. Thanks for your honest review as always, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even though I've only read Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars, I am definitely a huge fan of John Green! I love how the characters felt so real and how the story plot was so realistic. I've been wanting to read Paper Towns too although I haven't got the chance too! I'm sorry that it fell a little flat to your expectations but I'm still glad you enjoyed it!

    Awesome review, Sophia! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...