Friday, August 10, 2012

Frostbite by Richelle Mead

Publication Date: April 10, 2008
Publisher: Razorbill
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 327
SynopsisRose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose...

It’s winter break at St. Vladimir’s, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy’s crawling with Guardians—including Rose’s hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn’t bad enough, Rose’s tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason’s got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa’s head while she’s making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy’s not taking any risks... This year, St. Vlad’s annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price...
Review: I decided to keep on reading the series, even though Vampire Academy didn't exactly suit my fancy. I liked Frostbite significantly more than I did the previous installment, and although I still am not a huge fan of Rose, I think I'm slowly--very slowly--becoming a fan of the series.

   As mentioned before, I'm still not too fond of Rose. I will admit that she is a more likable character than in the first book, but I still had a few problems. She sometimes acted very immaturely and she was just so fickle when it came to boys. She basically had three boys wrapped around her finger and she lead each of them on in a different way. No me gusta. Thankfully, just like in VA, she got better as the page number increased. She pulled off some really kick-butt things and, despite some eye-roll-worthy outbursts, Rose matured as a character.

   Frostbite really improved in many ways, such as character development, romantic relations (mainly between Rose and Dimitri), and plot. I felt like there was more going on in this book. Also, although I'm not swooning over him, I can see why so many readers like Dimitri. He's a cool guy. Though with Adrian being introduced, I can be convinced either way. ;)

   With new characters and gradual, yet certain, development, Frostbite is an extremely readable addition to the Vampire Academy series. I hope I like the next book even more.

   3.5 keys.



9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this series. I always say it is my favorite if I have to pick just one series. I think you would enjoy each book more and more as you read them :) I read the last book in a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great series. It is definitely one of my favorites. The next one is definitely memorable. Rose does have some maturity issues, but I think that she develops a bit as the series progresses.

    s @ Oh! Paper Pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you are slowly warming to this series so I hope it gets even better for you as the books progress. Lovely review, Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your warming up to the series and that you gave the 2nd one a chance! I hope you'll keep going! They just get better and Rose continues to grow! I can't wait to see what you think of the 3rds ending!

    Haley@www.passingthepages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the awesome entrance of Adrian in Frostbite :D ee! I'm glad you are starting to like this series. They were a guilty pleasure for me until the end, when I got teary and realized how invested I'd become in the characters! Fab review, Sophia :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. :D WOOHOOO! Yay, a much higher rating than the first book! Yes, Frostbite definitely did good as a sequel, managing to become better than the first ^__^ (Isn't that sequels' jobs anyways?) Shadow Kiss gets even MORE intense so I hope you like (or possibly REALLLLLY like?) that one even MORE! :D Always loving the review, Sophia~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't love the first Vampire Academy novel either, but then I slowly grew to love the series as a whole because the later novels were much better. I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Sophia. :) Nicely reviewed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, Sophia I'm so glad your starting to like this series. I'm looking forward to seeing what you think about book 3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, I really am glad you enjoyed Frostbite more than VA! I know Rose can act a little immaturely but she is a pretty fierce girl as well and her friendship with Lissa is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...