Friday, July 6, 2012

Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Publication Date: September 11, 2012
Publisher: Random House Books for Young Readers
Format: eGalley
Page Count: 370
SynopsisKami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.


But all that changes when the Lynburns return.


The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him?
Review: I was expecting something completely different when I first picked this book up after reading the synopsis. Right from the beginning, there's a letter to the reader from the editor, and you know--this book is completely unique.

   This book is a mix of many things. It has tons of humor, a huge mystery, and a fairly small dose of romance. Let me elaborate on the humor. This book is pretty hilarious. The dialogue between characters, especially from our main character Kami, is witty, sarcastic, and I loved it. The mystery is just crazy. Sometimes, I felt like it took the backseat, but overall, it was a huge part of the story. And the romance? The romance drove me insane--especially the ending.

   Kami is a great protagonist. I didn't have powerful feelings towards her, but I liked her wit and her quirkiness. She's determined, intelligent, and entertaining. I didn't specifically love any of the characters. They didn't exactly leap off the pages, but I did like them well enough. Angela and Holly, Kami's friends, are just wonderful additions to the cast--maybe my favorite characters in the book, actually.

   Now, let's get to the Lynburn boys. There's a bit of a love triangle in this book, but Sarah Rees Brennan writes her romance in a very subtle way. I was expecting a lot more of it when I started, but I quickly realized that it wasn't a very big part in the story. Ash is a nice boy, but he's just... boring. Whereas, due to Kami's connection with him, Jared is exciting and intriguing.

   The plot is strangely paced. It starts out consistent, but might slow down a few times. Then near the last quarter of the book, there is just so much going on! Excitement builds, revelations unravel, everything is chaos--and then you get to the ending. And it completely broke my heart. The ending is definitely the opposite of a happily ever after.

   Unspoken is a thrilling mystery that'll either have you laughing or racing to flip the pages. I definitely need to check out the sequel when it comes out!

   4 keys.


27 comments:

  1. Great review! Unspoken is one of my most-awaited novels this year and to hear so many great things about it, only makes this waiting much worse (but better when it actually releases and I can get my hands on it!) :) I loved that you liked the main character because that's a huge deal-breaker for me and that the romance wasn't so overdone.

    Rachel @ Books to Consider

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, what! I've been really looking forward to Unspoken, and have it waiting for me soon, but now I'm a bit terrified by the ending. Ahhh!! Still, it sounds like it's a fantastic read, with so many good elements, so I'm eager to read to meet these characters. I love the review - I'm 100x more anxious now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opposite of a happily ever after? EEEK! That's worrying. However, the rest of the book from the main character to the writing (hilarious? yay) sound fantastic though. I might give this book a shot with trepidation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I'm really intrigued now! I love the sound of this... and how different it seems. Witty humour is something that I always appreciate in a story so it sounds like this might be a hit with me. I'm glad you enjoyed this! Great review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah Rees Brennan does dialogue SO well! And she has the characters with the best inner voice. I always laugh while reading her books and that alone would make me want to read this. But the uniqueness and everything else you pointed out has me REALLY wanting to read it. Now I'm dying to get my hands on it! AWESOME review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, Im glad you enjoyed this one my dear! I've been looking forward to it and I am also expecting something pretty unique because of its premise. SO glad that it is a very particular piece of YA lit =D Im looking forward to meet Kami!!
    Excellent review my dear ^.^ thnx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :DDD This book sounds REAAALLLY good. (I forgot to ask for this one at ALA, le sigh.) I got accepted on NG a few weeks ago, but there's no Kindle reading option (yet?) :(

    Anyways, THE REVIEW. ME ADORES IT. <3 I'm suuuuper looking forward to this read because A) it's apparently FREAKING hilarious which is always a win and B) YAY for intriguing boys! Also, the ending is a heartbreaker!? *runs around in circles* OH NOES. I like it when a book makes me cry though. ;D (Which makes me...masochistic? In a weird way?!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, Sophia!! I'm so happy to hear that this one lives up to its gorgeous cover -- I think I might have to put it on my consider-to-buy shelf! I honestly don't mind a love triangle when it's done right, and these Lynburn boys sound too cool NOT to love ;) Plus, is it bad that I have a thing for sad endings? You have me so intrigued about this HEA opposite! :')

    Beautiful review, Sophia! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book has been on my to-read shelf for some time now. I love that it's hilarious although the opposite of a happily ever after kind of scares me. I don't know how I would feel about the strange pacing. I like my books to have a consistent pace throughout the book.
    It sounds like you had a great time reading the book. Lovely review, Sophia ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds really intriguing! I'm eager to find out more about the Lynburn boys and I like how you mentioned that the romance is pretty subtle. And it's set in England? Always a plus! And I think humour and mystery are a perfect mix!

    Lovely review, Sophia <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh I like a book with humor and mystery. I try to stay away from love triangles (especially those that are well-done), but this sounds like really nice. Also, I've always wanted to read something by Brennan so I'd definitely check this one out. Thanks for sharing, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have got this one waiting in my Nook and I'm hoping to get to it soon. I like that it's unique, although, sometimes weird pacing makes me weary. I've heard amazing things about it, though, and I always like to have my heart broken at the end of a book :0)

    Thanks for sharing your thoughs, Sophia, I'll definitely give it a go soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has been on my wishlist forever! I'm so glad you enjoyed it; that gives me high hopes that I'll like it too. :) Superb review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds amaaaazing! :D I'll definitely be reading this very soon - got it from NetGalley and I'm so excited! :D

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm... for having a boring love interest and characters that didn't quite impact, this is still a very good rating, so I'm thinking the humor was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Hope you have at least a bit of fun at Math Camp.

      Delete
  16. Great review! I haven't heard much about this book but I like that the romance wasn't the main story line and I'm keen to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, I was hesitant to request this book but it sounds amazing. Love that it has a mystery and that it's not all about the romance. It's been a while since I've read a book with tons of humour. Fab review, Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know, the romance angle of this book is what made me hesitant about picking it up. I've read Sarah Rees Brennan in the past, and I tend to like her writing, but from the synopsis, I was afraid that the romance might be a little too run-of-the-mill for me. I'm glad to hear that it was more subtle than I originally expected though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. No happily ever afters? Count me in! Lol, I like books that end tragically so I'll be checking this one out. Plus, I've never read any of Brennan's books so this one sounds like it's a good one to start off with.

    P.S. poor you going off to math camp! Was it something voluntary?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome review! I really want to read this one. It sounds really interesting and unique. I like that there isn't a happily-ever-after because that's not realistic for most stories.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't actually read anything by Sarah Rees Brenna although I've heard great things about her Demon Lexicon trilogy! I did read Team Human which is a collaboration between Sarah and Justine Larbalestier and enjoyed it! Absolutely can't wait for Unspoken.

    Awesome review, Sophia! ♥ Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm going to be reading this closer to the release date, but can't wait to get to it! I'm glad ya enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah so glad this is a good read, I have a copy and now i am super excited to read this. Math Camp? Wow. Hope you have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Sophia, this book sounds so amazing! <3 I'm glad that you love this book! Fantastic review like always! Anyway, good luck with the Math Camp lovely! <3 We'll be missing you here on Blogosphere! :')

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks like such a fabulous book! I'm so glad that you enjoyed this. I have a copy waiting to be read. =) I love that there's humor in this book- that makes books SO much more fun in my opinion. And this ending sounds very heartbreaking!!

    Fabulous review, Sophia! <3 Enjoy the tortures of math camp, and we'll talk when you get back. ;)

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES! I'm so glad you liked this one! I loovee Sarah Rees Brennan, so I'm really excited about the release of this one. It sounds fantastic, so I can't wait to get my hands on it! Great review! :D

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...