Monday, June 11, 2012

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

Publication Date: January 25, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: eBook
Page Count: 295
SynopsisMy name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.
Review: Book 1 was just all right. Book 2 was good. And the book 3 comes along and asdfghjkl--my mind is blown. My mind and my tear ducts. This book just completely amazed me. I can definitely say that I am now a huge fan of the series, because my goodness, this book...

   I have grown to really like Meghan. She's become stronger, smarter, and a lot more likable. Unfortunately, she also has rotten luck. My heart broke while reading her story. By the end of the book, I was in tears and I had to start The Iron Knight right away. I also began to grow fond of Ash. I definitely didn't swoon over him or fall in love with his character, but I figured he wasn't that bad. Plus, there were so many mushy moments between him and Meghan that I just couldn't help but root for their relationship.

   Of course, my favorite characters were still Puck and Grimalkin, as usual. They're just so fun and fabulous to read about. Puck is so silly and hilarious, whereas Grimalkin is more serious and wise. Despite their contrasting personalities, they're both my favorite characters.

   The plot was a bit predictable, I will admit. I obviously knew how this book would end (hint hint: the title!), but it still didn't lessen the shock value. Or the heartbreak. Julie Kagawa managed to always have something interesting going on, never letting a dull moment occur. This made reading this book entertaining and enjoyable.

   The Iron Queen is a heart-wrenching installment in the marvelous Iron Fey series that will leave readers dying for the next book. It's, without a doubt, the best book in the series so far.

   4.5 keys.


13 comments:

  1. Great review! You've basically summed up my thoughts for this book. I was almost in tears by the end of it. My favorite characters are Grim and Puck as well. :) Poor Puck, he was stuck in the "friend-zone".

    This is a series that I don't regret reading out of order. If I read The Iron King first, I'm not sure if I'd continue this series. Thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puck and Grimalkin are my favourites too! Maybe because they both make me laugh. ;) Amazing review, Sophia! I'm so glad the series is picking up speed for you as it's one of my favourites. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of The Iron Knight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your review is making me miss this series like crazy! I remember how I felt at the end of this book too -- it was just before Julie announced a fourth book and boy was I ever happy LOL -- so I kinda have this beaming smile on my face, waiting for you to read The Iron Knight x) Haha and I guess that the title kind of is a spoiler... But Puck and Grim were definitely my favourites too! ;)

    Beautiful review, Sophia! Don't you just love it when a book grows on you? :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I skimmed this as I'm yet to start the series but I took note of the fact that this book bloew your mind! I really want to start reading The Iron King, like NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEP! We pretty much followed the same trajectory for this series. I was about to give up (& in fact, I did) after book one but I'm so glad I forged on. I totally agree about Ash and Megan, I wasn't completely sold on them but they had so many little, intimate moments that I had to root for them. I love that this series just becomes stronger and better. Fantastic review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You review sounded a bit like mine, I was pleased Meghan finally showed strength, understood why Ash was right formher and disturbed that the title gave away the big twist and yes my heart was with Puck and Grimalkin as well. I will be watching for your review of IK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite in the series, and despite the predictability, there were some things that really surprised me, but most of all, I think I was stunned by my own strong emotional reaction.
    Grimalkin is just hilarious, I'm with you on that one. Can't wait to hear what you'll think of the next one.
    Wonderful review as always, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it blew your mind? That's so awesome! o: And now I'm even more curious, as I absolutely loved the first one... I cannot wait to continue this awesome series! Fantastic review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! So glad you love this one too Sophia! Meghan really grew on me throughout the series as well, and by the end of this one I was an emotional mess. Can't wait to see what you think of the Iron Knight! It's fun getting Ash's POV:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! I've heard alot of great stuff about this series. New follower

    Cierra @ Books Ahoy & Blogovation Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol, I've got so many books to read but reading your review makes me want to start this series. Gah, stop it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw I feel the exact same way about this book! The Iron King was just average, and then when I read The Iron Queen I was just amazed at how much of an impact it had on me. The ending was so heart wrenching and I was sobbing. This is the first book that's ever made me cry so much. Julie Kagawa has got such a beautiful writing style! Puck and Grim are also my favourite characters in this series. Some of the things they say just make me laugh out loud!

    Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful review with us, Sophia. If I hadn't already read this series, I would definitely be persuaded by your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...