Friday, June 15, 2012

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

Publication Date: October 26, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin TEEN
Format: eBook
Page Count: 368
SynopsisTo cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.
Review: This book is different from the other books in the Iron Fey series because it's told through Ash's point of view, rather than Meghan's. Julie Kagawa does a fantastic job of switching POVs, in my opinion. Sometimes, when authors switch POVs, it's unconvincing. I might be confused as to whether it's Character 1 or Character 2 narrating. But while reading The Iron Knight, there was no confusion. I felt like Ash's voice sounded distinctly different compared to Meghan's.

   Ash has never been a character that I particularly loved. The Iron Knight didn't exactly change that. However, we definitely learn a lot about him, as he is our main character. This new knowledge includes the crimes that he's committed, the awful things he's done, and his true personality. This knowledge also includes his genuine feelings and kind heart. Readers can definitely tell that Ash is a good person, despite his history.

   I feel like this book wasn't quite as action packed as the previous one. There was a lot going on, but I still felt like it could have had something, just a little bit, more in it. Maybe it's because I took longer reading this book than I did The Iron Queen, but I think that this book lacked the intensity of the previous installment.

   The ending was so perfect. Almost too perfect, really. Everything was tied up nicely into a little, decorative bow. I expected at least something to be a little bittersweet, but instead, it was like a Disney fairy tale ending. If I weren't so keen on Meghan and Ash having their well deserved happy ending, I might've been irritated.

   The Iron Knight is the perfect conclusion to a remarkable series, complete with a memorable adventure and a romantic happily ever after.

   4 keys.


16 comments:

  1. Good to know about the change in POV, I agree that sometimes it doesn't work but I'm happy it did here! I must start this series ASAP!

    Great review, Soph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the almost too perfect ending! I was like wow this ending...really nicely. I know there's a spin off series though so I guess there is more to tell. I never warmed up to Ash either but it was interesting to read his POV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of the Iron Fey series..but i totally loved Immortal Rules. Although this wasn't as action packed i do like the male pov. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never fully loved Ash either. The horrible past crimes we learn about in this one definitely didn't help. He did some truly awful things that made me tear up! But he did fight really hard to change and be a better person. It was interesting getting into his mind and of course his bromance with Puck was hysterical. I love Puck so much! It was a perfect HEA but well deserved by the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent review sweetheart! Im glad you enjoyed this book =D
    I have nothing against happy endings so for me this book was a solid 5 stars! ^___^ I can;t wait for The Lost Prince OMG!!! =DDDDD

    thnx for sharing your amazing review ^.^ muah!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Ash has never been my favorite, it took this book snd his voice for me to understand him better and to see why he and belonged together. I think that Pcuk isnt't meant to be tied dowm....I also loved the inclusion of the Wolf. The world building in this was Astounding! I think it was a good solid ending!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sophia, I agree this ended perfectly! So happy you enjoyed it. Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you liked it! I also thought it was a great conclusion to the series. I was a bit apprehensive when finding out it would be from Ash's POV - I tend not to cope with sudden shifts like that too well - but then was completely happy with it when I read it. She did a really good job. Amazing review, Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the book that convinced me that Julie could do anything and I'd still love it! I usually don't like POV switches either, especially if it's going to a male POV which not very many people can pull off, but Julie managed to do a great job with it! I have to admit that I'm an Ash fan LOL and this just made me love him more! And I'm a loving-complicated-endings girl too, but here the HEA was perfect for me too ;)

    Beautiful review, Sophia! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really do dislike a lot of books that wrap up too nicely. It can work sometimes, but I just appreciate a more realistic ending. I'm glad you still enjoyed the series though...I haven't read any of them.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely review, Sophia! You're definitely right about changing POV - it tends to be confusing! That's why I'm really glad that you like it! Ah, I love books with happy ending, but I think it would bother me if it's wrapped up too nicely hehe! Ash and Meghan do deserve their happy ending, so I'm just happy for them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's great that you still ended up liking this one even though you're not an Ash fan, Sophia. I love seeing things from a secondary character's POV because it's a nice change and they'll have different opinions. You're right about it not being well done sometimes though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree Sophia, I thought she did a fabulous job with Ash's POV! It was really fun to get to spend a significant amount of time in his head, and to see more of his past and how he came to be the way he was. The ending was definitely wrapped up in a pretty bow, but as someone who is a big fan of bows, that worked out well for me:) Glad you enjoyed the series overall!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely agree with you, Sophia! I really love how Julie decided to write a book from Ash's POV because the first 3 books in the series were written from Meghan and now we know what's going on in Ash's head! The Iron Knight's ending was perfect, and it concluded the whole series beautifully.

    Awesome review, Sophia! <3 Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the letter Ash wrote to Meghan towards the end. It had me in tears!
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/113995375/A-Shmeg-Ahn-l-Letter

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...