Friday, June 1, 2012

The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Publication Date: August 1, 2010
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Format: eBook
Page Count: 296
SynopsisHalf Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey--ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.
Review: I didn't like The Iron King as much as others did, so I didn't expect on continuing the series. However, after reading Julie Kagawa's The Immortal Rules (which I LOVED) and hearing many amazing things about The Iron Queen (especially the ending), I decided to give the sequel to The Iron King a shot.

   At first, I regretted my decision. I had many problems, starting with Meghan. She was heartbroken over Ash. This reminded me that I never fell for Ash in the first book, nor did I believe in their feelings for each other. This was a major problem for me throughout the first quarter of the book. Meghan was so infatuated with Ash, it made it difficult for her to be the kick butt heroine I wanted her to be.

   But by the time I was halfway through, I realized that I liked the book. A lot, actually. Meghan was starting to grow a backbone, becoming a stronger character as the page number grew higher. Also, I loved so many of the characters. Although Meghan and Ash never really made it onto that list, a few other characters did.

   First off, Puck. Robin Goodfellow. He truly is a good fellow. (Lame joke, I know, whatever. Leave me alone.) I guess I could label myself as "Team Puck" although not in the way that I want Meghan and Puck to necessarily end up romantically together. Instead, I'm "Team Puck" in a way that says, "I am so in love with Puck because he's hilarious, cute, kind, comforting, and everything amazing in the world." Whereas, when it comes to Ash, I just see a brooding, attractive boy that's too mysterious and too capricious for my taste. He also does that thing where he pushes Meghan away for her own good. I'm a bit tired of that move because it's done so frequently. And in the end, it just hurts both parties.

   Other characters I loved include Grimalkin and Ironhorse. Grimalkin is probably one of my favorite--if not my absolute favorite--characters. He's wise, dryly humorous, and I just loved him. Ironhorse was also an enjoyable character. His loyalty and loud voice were especially admirable, and it's a complete shame I won't see him again after this book.

   The love triangle goes into full effect in this book, although I'm not completely sure that Puck is even in the running. Meghan doesn't really notice any other male besides her Winter prince. No worries, though. I'll totally have Puck for myself.

   I loved the plot in this book. There were so many twists and turns. You could never expect what was going to happen next. There was always something going on, keeping me reading and flipping pages. The ending definitely shocked me and makes me eager to read The Iron Queen.

   The Iron Daughter surprised me with its character development, exciting plot, lovable side characters, and wonderful prose. Despite the bad start, I enjoyed this book. Now, I'm off to read the sequel!

   4 keys. (P.S. I think this is my longest review ever. Jeez.)


15 comments:

  1. Puck is such a good character! I personally adore Grim - he's probably the best cat character ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH! Glad you stuck with this one and it ended up pleasantly surprising you:) I had trouble with the first book in the series as well, it just took me a long time to settle into it, but by book 2 I was hooked and then 3 just blew me away. Can't wait to see what you think of it! Fantastic review Sophia:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard some good things about Puck, but I've never read any of these books. I'm not sure what I would think exactly...the things you mentioned that bugged you would annoy me too. Maybe I'll try the first one out in the future sometime. I do want to see what this Puck is all about. :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review, I haven't read any of this series..but I read Immortal Rules and it rocked! Will check this series out too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my least favorite of the series. Meghan drove me nuts with all her bawling and indecisveness. Iron Horse and Grimalkin rock. Iron Queen and Iron Knight are so good. You will like them much better,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am much more of a Puck fan than I am an Ash fan. (That sentence sounds weird to say :P) I love all the things about him that you mentioned, especially the fact that he can make us laugh. It's good to see you gave this a shot Sophia and ended up liking it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I agree! It was so frustrating for me so I was surprised when I ended up liking this book too. Hooray for Meghan growing!! I don't think I actually liked Meghan and Ash until the third book, haha. I love Grimalkin and Ironhorse too and enjoyed their personalities. Fantastic review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you liked this book. Honestly, I read The Iron Daughter before I read The Iron King because I couldn't wait for someone to return it to the library. I'm glad I did. The Iron King wasn't a great book, but I wouldn't have fallen in love with this series as much as I did after reading The Iron Daughter. I'm a Puck fan too. :) Ash was too broody, and I'm a bit sick of those kinds of characters.

    While I was rooting for Puck the entire time, I admired how Meghan stuck to her choice. It's really annoying when characters waver back and forth and lead on two characters at the same time. Grimalkin was my favorite character. Even before Puck.

    Great review, Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to read this series! It's great that there's character growth in the second novel. I must pick these up soon! Fantastic review, Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you, Sophia - Grimalkin is the best! <3 He might be the only reason why I wanted to read the second book after my lack of love in The Iron King! He's very sarcastic, and I really like it that he didn't spoil Meghan. <3 Plus, he's a grinning cat! Can't go wrong with a grinning cat (Chesire <3)! x)

    Lovely review, Sophia! Glad you enjoyed this book more than the first one! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you loved this one Sophia :) !! This one is actually my favourite book in the Iron Fey series ! Great review !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wasn't crazy about the first two books either, which is why The Iron Queen took me completely by surprise. I really enjoyed it, and yes, especially the ending. I hope you'll read it now that you've made it this far.
    Wonderful review, Sophia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sophia, I actually haven't read this series but everyone seems to swoon over Ash and love Puck. I think yours is the first review I've read where the person wasn't a huge Ash fan. Lol, perhaps you'll change your mind?

    ReplyDelete
  14. HOW have I not read this series yet?! I have book 1 on my Kindle and always seem to pass over it for something else. It sounds like it's worth the read though. Great review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just read the Temple Wars Novel on Ganesha! The story is well told through a parallel protagonist Tarun who helps Ganesha retrieve his objects from the spirit world. It's a page-turner that will have you wanting more. You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...