Sunday, May 13, 2012

Underworld by Meg Cabot


Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Publisher: Point
Format: ARC
Page Count: 320
SynopsisSeventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera isn't dead.


Not this time.


But she is being held against her will in the dim, twilit world between heaven and hell, where the spirits of the deceased wait before embarking upon their final journey.


Her captor, John Hayden, claims it's for her own safety. Because not all the departed are dear. Some are so unhappy with where they ended up after leaving the Underworld, they've come back as Furies, intent on vengeance . . . on the one who sent them there and on the one whom he loves.


But while Pierce might be safe from the Furies in the Underworld, far worse dangers could be lurking for her there . . . and they might have more to do with its ruler than with his enemies.


And unless Pierce is careful, this time there'll be no escape.

Review: I'm a huge Meg Cabot fan and I really liked Abandon, so I was totally thrilled when I received an ARC of this book. Sadly, I think I was a little underwhelmed. I don't think it was the book's fault, to be honest. I think it was because I wasn't in the mood for this book, but I picked it up and read it anyway. I think that if I read it when I wanted to read it, I would've loved it!

   Pierce was a difficult character to warm up to in this book. I felt like she was crying on every other page. It wasn't the, "Oh my god, I feel so sorry for myself!" crying (thank goodness), but I still wished she could have kept her tears to a minimum. Nonetheless, Pierce had admirable qualities, such as her fierce loyalty and passionate love. She was also extremely kind. Almost to the point where it was annoying. Almost.

   Despite my problems with Pierce, I still consistently loved John Hayden in this sequel. Readers learn a lot about his character and his past. It's scary and brutal, but it made me appreciate him a lot more. Plus, he was such a sweetheart when it came to Pierce. What a cutie.

   The reason why this book underwhelmed is because I felt nothing much happened in this book. I often feel this with sequels. The plot was slow and there wasn't much action. But there was still enough going on to keep me intrigued and flipping pages.

   Underworld is a surprising and fascinating sequel to Abandon, adding careful depth to Meg Cabot's unique twist on the myth of Persephone and Hades.

   3 keys.


23 comments:

  1. I haven't read this series and am sorry the protagonist was so annoying. Awesome review i hope book three redeems this series for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I love Meg Cabot but Abandon wasn't my favorite book. It was okay, I guess, but I never really loved it. :D I hope you'll come to like this book more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by Meg Cabot but I am always hearing great things about her work and you definitely have me interested in this series now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be a HUGE Meg Cabot fan but my interest in her has kind of waned over the years. I tried to give this one a shot but couldn't even remember what happened in the previous story so I gave up. I'm sorry it underwhelmed you, I hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a decent amount of Meg Cabot when I was younger, but a lot of the books I read by her I can't remember a THING about, for some reason. I have to echo what Elena said on you being underwhelmed by this book...I hate it when that happens too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't LOVE the first book so I gave a feeling I'm gonna be very underwhelmed with this one. I wasn't expecting to be wowed so I guess we'll see. Great review, love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't read this series. I dunno if I should. :P


    <3
    Lei
    $25 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always wonder about reading Meg Cabot. Sounds like your anothr that would recomend her ;) sorry you didn't enjoy thus one as much. I pick books up all the time when im not in the mood. Wish I didn't!

    Haley@www.passingthepages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm sorry that this book is not as good as you expected, Sophia! My mood plays a big part in my reading too - that's why I'm such a random reader, picking whatever book my heart told me LOL! x) I haven't read this series yet, but Meg Cabot is one of my favorite authors too! Maybe someday. :P That makes me smile when you said that the heroine can be so nice that she's almost annoying hehe. x)

    Awesome review like always, Sophia! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Abandon last year and even though it wasn't my favourite Meg Cabot's books (The Princess Diaries will always be my favourite!), I still enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to read Underworld and see how the story goes.

    Awesome review, Sophia! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Confession: I've never read a Meg Cabot book in my life. I know! MOst of my friends love her books and I'm not even sure what I'm waiting for. I think I'll read one soon, although this doesn't sound like a good place to start.
    Fantastic review as always, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never read anything by Meg Cabot though I've heard tons of positive things about her books .. I don't like the sound of this book that much so I'll look for another one to read I guess :) !! Thanks for the honest review Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really liked Abandon - though I had some problems with Pierce.... It's a little sad to see you didn't enjoy this one more..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been trying to decide whether to read this series or not. The first book got mixed reviews and the second seems to be a bit better liked but I am not a fan of dramatic, crying heroiines, so I may just have to pass on this one. Thanks for the honest review, Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a similar reaction Sophia! I really enjoyed John in this one and learning more about him, that was a highlight for me, but I did want a little more from Pierce. I feel like his feelings for her are much stronger than hers are for him, and I'd like to see it get to the point where I believe her a bit more. Maybe the next book? Still, I find this series really enjoyable nonetheless:) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know that feeling well. The mood you're in can totally affect your enjoyment of the book. But you are right, sequels usually are just bridge books, so nothing much happens in them.

    I have yet to read anything by Meg Cabot, but I've got her on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a big fan of Meg Cabot's as well but I haven't started this series yet. I'm hoping to get around to reading it this year though since I also love Greek mythology. It's too bad though that you felt like not much happened in this one; I find that a problem with sequels too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe I missed your review for this, but I'm SO happy I found it! I'm a huge Meg Cabot fangirl too (she always writes the funnest books!), but even though I actually kind of enjoyed Abandon, I had no idea what to expect going into this book. Now I do! :) I'm really sorry that Pierce wasn't the heroine you wanted her to be in this book (I had a similar feeling about her in the first book -- so kind it was almost hair-pulling-worthy!), but I'm glad to hear that John is just as awesome as he is in the first book! ;)

    I always love your honesty, Sophia! Please don't ever stop! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Learning more about John Hayden is what I'm most looking forward to. Pierce can get on my nerves very easily, so we'll have to see how things roll from there. At least you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Meg Cabot !
    However, I've seen some really mixed reviews for this series of hers. I'm so sorry this didn't work out for you. Whiny characters are never interesting. It totally gets on my nerves too.
    Thanks for the honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So the feeling-sorry-for-herself part definitely sucks, but I'm very glad you still enjoyed it, even if it wasn't a spot on read for you. I have to admit I still haven't read this series, but I'm more than a little curious. However, I'm not 100% sure if it's actually something for me, so I'm a bit scared to give it a try! Lol. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. As a total Meg Cabot fangirl, I really need to read this series! Looks like it's totally different from her other stuff but I'll give it a shot anyway so that I can read Underworld soon! I'm still a little scared because I'd hate to be disappointed by a Meg Cabot book!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for you review! ;D I have it on my shelf, it's waiting to be picked up. When I'm in the mood to pick it up, that's when I will read it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...