Thursday, May 3, 2012

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Publication Date: May 1, 2012
Publisher: Katherine Tegen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 525
SynopsisOne choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth's much-anticipated second book of the dystopian Divergent series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature.
WARNING! There are spoilers for Divergent in this review!


Review: I waited for Insurgent for a year--which basically felt like forever. I'm sure you guys already know, but Divergent is my favorite book in the history of ever. So my expectations for Insurgent were through the roof, obviously. But oh my goodness, I've read it twice now, and I can say that it met my expectations.

   I don't think Insurgent was quite as great as Divergent. It was depressing. Books about war are usually depressing, but it wasn't just that. Tris was depressing. She was reckless and suicidal. It sincerely hurt me to read about my favorite character like that. She was a broken girl. She was being eaten alive by the guilt of shooting Will. Her parents are dead. Tobias is keeping secrets from her. And she's just positively broken. She did get better near the end of the book, but it still was very sad to read about Tris being so sad.

   Her relationship with Tobias in Insurgent was extremely rocky. It was not sweet and cute like it was in Divergent. Instead, it was intense and sometimes strained. They did have their "aww" moments, but for the most part, they bickered and were stressed and it just tore me apart. Tris and Tobias are my OTP, and to see their relationship being stretched to its limits was heartbreaking. But alas, it was very necessary, and now that their rough patch is gone, I hope it does not come again.

   The plot and action in Insurgent were just ABSOLUTELY MIND BLOWING. Seriously, you guys, Veronica Roth knows how to craft a thrilling, exciting, and unpredictable story line. It kept me flipping the pages like crazy (both times I read it!). I loved the action. I've definitely noticed the changes in my reading favors since reading Divergent. It's made me discover that I love action. Seriously. I love the shooting, the running, the fighting--all of it. I'm actually very worried about myself after realizing this.

   The rest of the cast was amazing. I loved the complexities in all of the characters. It was so surprising, finding out where the loyalties of some characters were. I would find myself thinking awful thoughts about traitors, and then later thinking, "Oh my goodness, it was a trick!" Or vice versa.

   All in all, Insurgent is a completely outstanding, utterly mind-blowing, totally jaw-dropping, action-packed gem of a sequel. Fans of Divergent will not be disappointed! Though Insurgent didn't quite live up to Divergent, I definitely do not regret owning three copies of this book. Now, I'm just going to sit in a corner, rocking myself back and forth until Divergent #3 releases.

   4.5 keys. (Because Tris being depressed/slightly insane made me depressed/slightly insane. It physically hurt me.)


16 comments:

  1. Since when is he Tobias?What happened to Four? My blogging buddy Michele is so in love with Four. I have this waiting for me, just need to find some time in between commitments to read it. Gotta stop biting off more than I can chew. Great review, can't believe you already read it twice! Thanks so much for popping by my blog and meeting, Jay. Come back anytime I am always happy to return comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHMYGOOOD Sophia! Absolutely brilliant review that makes me want to read Insurgent ASAP! (I got the ecopy on the release date AND my brother's already halfway through it but I've been reading other books that are due for review. No excuse, right?) It's gonna be difficult to read about Broken Tris and Tris and Fo-Tobias's rough patch. The plot sounds mindblowing! Makes me even more excited to read it. I can't believe you own THREE copies, wow :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't read your review because i am in the process of writing mine and want my to reflect me. I had to peak at your rating to see if you loved it as much as me though *squeaks* we gave it the same rating. So i will take that as a good sign. I don't now about you but i want book three now! *drools* i will stop back after i get mine written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha aw! You own three copies?! I agree, this definitely had a more somber feel than Divergent. I don't think I liked it as much because it was so stressful but overall, I did enjoy it! I agree about Tris and Four, sometimes they were sweet but at other times, they were heartbreaking. :( I'm interested to see how the third book plays out. Great review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review!! I got my copy in yesterday and am DYING to read it, except my ebook ARC pile is...a HUGE pile and I need to readreadread so I can get to THIS BOOK! GAH! Ok, so as much as it will be painful, I'm so happy that Tris/Four's relationship isn't perfect. Like, it means so much more later on when the characters go through hard times. So, totally painful...and totally worth it. (Veronica Roth - please don't mess that up!) Haha! The rest - wowowowowowow I'm just DYING to get sucked into this world again. Roth is brilliant!
    Thanks for your awesome review!

    Sierra
    www.yearningtoread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My copy should be arriving this afternoon and I cannot wait to get started! Divergent was one of my favorite books last year, and one of the first that I reviewed on my blog. I cannot wait to catch up with these characters, even if I know the situation we left them in wasn't pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AAAA SOPHIA!!! I know what you mean about Tris being depressed! It makes me a bit frustrated but I'm glad she's back on track by the end of the book! AND FOURRRRRR or TOBIASSSS!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE HIM!

    Awesome review, Sophia! So glad you enjoyed it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, you own three copies of this book? EPIC. WIN!! x) <3 I'm really tempted to go out and buy a second copy for myself since my pre-ordered one (that I got to free Four!) hasn't arrived yet! And I don't know what it is about your reviews, but they're always so easy to read -- even when you're talking about how Tris and Four aren't the same couple they were before (noooooo!), I still think, "Why is Sophia such a great writer??" You broke my heart and made it at the exact same time :')

    Beautiful honest review, Sophia! I don't care that this book isn't as good as Divergent because I JUST WANT TO READ IT SO BAD! x) <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! Tris definitely let me down in this book as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually just received my copy YAY, I'm sooo excited !! I've decided to re-read Divergent though because I don't remember some things and I hate reading a sequel without having all the details of the previous book in mind. I'm sorry I haven't read your review in case there are spoilers but I'm glad to see that you overall loved it !! Thanks for the reviews Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay I skimmed your review and only looked at your last paragraph and your rating because I'm starting this one this weekend and I can't wait! So glad you gave it such a high rating Sophia - and I'm sure I'll be joining you in that corner and rocking with you once I'm done. Maybe it will make book 3 release faster:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tris's attitude got to me at times during the book and I think that might be why I didn't find Insurgent AS great as Divergent too. Other than that, I LOVED it! The plot was insanely good and I can't wait to see where things go next. Aweosme review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, favorite book in the history of ever?! That's a lot to live up to. I'm glad Insurgent didn't disappoint you, Sophia! The vast majority of the reviews I've read so far were positive, and of course your enthusiasm is contagious. I finally got my copy and I can't wait to get started!
    thank you for the lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Tris was depressing. She was reckless and suicidal." Oh no, although it's understandable. I haven't read this one yet, Sophia, but I'm so looking forward to it since Divergent was one of my favourite reads last year. I love dystopians full of action too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you, other than the whole Tris been depressed n suicidal, the book was AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really inhaled this book in a day via my nook and literally had my breath held during some really intense moments. I love Tris and Four and hope that they are stronger now with the way the second installment ended. We'll have to wait a year for the third, but in that time, I can revisit these characters again and see little bits of information that perhaps I've missed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...