Wednesday, May 23, 2012

In Honor by Jessi Kirby

Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Format: eBook
Page Count: 240
SynopsisHours after her brother’s military funeral, Honor opens the last letter Finn ever sent. In her grief, she interprets his note as a final request and spontaneously decides to go to California to fulfill it.

Honor gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn’s best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn’t seen Rusty in ages, but it’s obvious he is as arrogant and stubborn as ever—not to mention drop-dead gorgeous. Despite Honor’s better judgment, the two set off together on a voyage from Texas to California.

Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn’s memory—but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?
Review: I wanted to love this book SO BADLY. Seriously. I was pining for this book so hard, and I was so excited when I first started reading. But I soon found that I was not losing myself into the book. I kept feeling disconnected or not fully invested. That should've been a warning.

   I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy the book. I did enjoy it! I liked it quite a lot. Just not as much as I'd hoped. Honor bothered me. She was very naive and impulsive. Usually, I enjoy impulsive characters, as long as they can accept and comprehend the consequences. However, Honor didn't seem to do that. And by the end of the book, I was hoping for more growth in her character than what was shown. Again, don't get me wrong, she did develop into a more mature young lady. Yet, she still wasn't quite mature enough.

   Jessi Kirby is a fabulous writer, though. Her prose is so wonderful. If I weren't so lazy, I would get out my nook to quote some passages, but alas, I am that lazy. Some phrases stuck with me throughout my whole reading experience. Jessi Kirby's writing is not poetic, but it's still very beautiful. She especially depicts grief and freedom extremely well.

   I'm very glad there wasn't a huge romantic plot in this book. If there was a big romance in it, I would think that it's out of place. Luckily, Jessi Kirby manages to drop just a few doses of love. But Honor does say that she loves Rusty by the end, which irked me quite a lot. Mostly because I never fell for Rusty while reading.

   I feel like I'm just complaining. I'm sorry! I don't mean to come across that way! I actually did like this book a lot. It was just a tad disappointing and I couldn't fully invest myself into the book. In Honor is a heartwarming story about grief, love, and uncovering who you are along with what you want to do. I would definitely recommend it to contemporary readers, especially fans of Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson.

   3.5 keys. Almost a 4, but not quite.


9 comments:

  1. Impulsive people who don't understand the consequences of their actions bother me in real life, too. I really want to read and love this and now I'm scared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Kirby's debut novel and it seems like she continues with her great prose in this one. I'm looking forward to reading this one so hopefully I'll be better invested in it. It's too bad you couldn't make yourself fall for Rusty though, Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this book but it's not on the exactly on top of my TBR. I've heard pretty good things about it so I'm glad there's your review to offer a new insight on it. Naive + impulsive characters bother me A LOT too. I'm glad that even though you didn't quite click with this book, it was an enjoyable read for you! Fantastic review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I tend to put writing above everything else, so I'm tempted to grab a copy of this even though the heroine isn't exactly likable. I can forgive almost anything if the writing is immersive, beautiful and emotional enough. I'll probably sample it and see.
    Thank you for the lovely review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer you didn't love this as much as you wanted to! I haven't read any of Kirby's work so I don't have an opinion. However...I'll definitely be reading some of her work because I've heard good things! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book!

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the part where you said you were too lazy to get out your nook and quote passages. I,feel like that everytime but I still get those quotes. I have been seeing this book everywhere and it is garnering high praise, so sorry it wasn't a better read for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though it didn't quite blow you away, I'm glad you still liked it. Nice review, Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was really excited to start reading this book but your review make me rethink it. I still want to read this book though, since you mentioned that this is a heartwarming story about overcoming grief. I hope I would enjoy the romance too! <3

    Lovely review, Sophia! Don't worry, I don't think you are complaining at all! x)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure if I want to read this book immediately. The premise sounds amazing but there are way too many books in my TBR. Great review, Sophia! It's sad that you didn't love it as much as you were expecting to love it... That's happened to me a lot lately... But I'm glad you still enjoyed it :) Thanks for the honest review x)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...