Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Publication Date: June 14, 2011
Publisher: Egmont USA
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 387
Synopsis: One hour to rewrite the past . . . 


For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back. So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.


Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?
Review: I had heard many amazing things about this book, but there are times where I just ignore what everyone says. For some strange reason, I didn't expect to love this book as much as others did, despite the praise. I was pleasantly surprised reading it, realizing that I thought this book was plain awesome.

   Now I know what everyone's talking about when they say that Hourglass is a fantastic read, because it really is. There's so much going for this book: a likable heroine, a very attractive boy, a fast paced plot, and a unique concept. Oh, and I am in love with Myra McEntire's writing. It's humorous and easy to read--exactly my kind of prose!

   Emerson is the protagonist and I liked her quite a lot. She has a good blend of snark, humor, intelligence, and emotion. She's determined and knows what she wants to do. Although she was sometimes very naive, I didn't hold that against her. Michael is the love interest. I definitely had a capricious love/hate relationship with him. Sometimes, I loved him, and other times, I wanted to slap him. With a brick.

   The concept of this book is great. The Hourglass is a group for people who can manipulate time. Seriously, how cool is that? Two thumbs up for time travel! I don't read that many YA books about time travel, but this one certainly is spectacular.

   Hourglass is an extremely enjoyable story featuring a strong heroine with a distinct voice, a fantastic romantic element, and time travel.

   4.5 keys.


15 comments:

  1. This was an enjoyable read! Humorous and easy to read is right, at least from what I remember. Unfortunately, I tried reading the sequel but had to stop because I couldn't really recall anything from Hourglass. I need to re-read Hourglass soon! Hooray for time travel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it! ♥ I bought it a few days ago, and I'm already dying to read it. I hope I like it as much as you did. And yep, I also sometimes ignore everyone's hype about a book thinking that it won't be the same for me LOL

    And wow, time travel! Really looking forward to read it. Nice review, Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! so happy you enjoyed this one :) it was one of my fav reads last year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review, Sophia! I'm glad to see you enjoyed this, especially seeing as though you didn't think you would. I found this to be an okay read myself though I agree with you about Emerson's character. I'm a little disappointed the second book isn't from her perspective, but I'm still looking forward to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *squeeeeee* YAAAAAAAAAAAAY! You loved the book! I can't tell you how seriously effing happy this news makes me. I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK. And I'm super stoked for the next one, which is patiently awaiting me on my kindle :DD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!!!! So glad to hear you enjoyed this one considering I really enjoyed it too!!!!!!! And I totally agree Emerson is a great heroine. I could totally relate to her stubborn, strong personality. The concept is really unique and I just can't wait to read the sequel!!!!! If I had not already read this book I would have picked it up right after reading your review!!!!!

    SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I'm curious about this one, but I haven't really read much about it. I'm so glad you enjoyed it though and I think it's something I should check out. I haven't really read YA with time travel, as far as I know, so that should be interesting...and I like a book with some humorous writing as well.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha I totally do the same thing too! x) Sometimes I'll disregard a book that a lot of people keep recommending to me, and other times I'll read a book that's getting mixed reviews just out of curiosity... but this book sounds like on that I should stop avoiding any longer! Snarky heroines are my favourite, time travel is just pure awesome, and the mention of a very attractive boy? Very attractive to Mimi! ;)

    Beautiful review, Sophia! I hope I love this as much as you did! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've also heard so many great things about this book and I haven't read it yet! Great review! You're just confirming that I really need to read this book!

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was totally caught up in this book! I was lucky enough to read this amazing book early which means I have been waiting FOREVER for Timepiece to come out.
    I'm glad you liked it:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently decided I wanted to read this book. Haven't picked it up yet but your review convinced me to - and very soon! The idea is very captivating - and I didn't know it was about time travel!!

    Great review!
    Sierra @ Yearning to Read
    www.yearningtoread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's weird; I've heard such good things about this one but have never really seemed to want to read it. I'm sure when I do though, I'll be begging to get my hands on the sequel. I really like the sound of Emerson and your quote about wanting to slap Michael with a brick made me laugh. Great review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad this book lived upto the hype for you, Sophia!! I just purchased a copy of this book and have Timepiece waiting to be read as well. I haven't read a series about time travel before. It sounds amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can tell you really enjoyed this and that's always a nice surprise when you didn't think you would. I didn't love it but the idea was unique!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have this series on my wishlist and love the covers. Great review..i cannot wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...