Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Publication Date: January 17, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: eBook
Page Count: 248
SynopsisFor months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought.


Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.
Review: I. Loved. This. Book. I cried. I smiled. But basically, I loved this book.

   I read Unearthly in the beginning of this year and really loved it. But I think I liked this book more. I'm convinced that Cynthia Hand can do no wrong. Except for maybe kill off Tucker Avery, but I'm praying that she will never do that.

   Let's be honest here. I love this series just because I love Tucker Avery. I love him so much. I cannot imagine anyone picking Christian Prescott over him, because although Christian is a fabulous guy, he just can't compare to the perfect Tucker Avery. Now that that's out of the way, let's talk more about the book.

   Clara is confused. She didn't complete her purpose, and she doesn't know what's going to happen next. But she keeps on dreaming this one dream, over and over again: She's at a funeral. Someone she loves is going to die. Added to that awful prediction, she also has to deal with two amazing boys fighting for her love, a rebellious and angry younger brother, and, you know, college applications. There's a lot on her plate. I like Clara a lot. I find her relatable and she never bugs me, which is pretty rare. I am easily annoyed by protagonists, but that's not the case with Clara. I find her voice enjoyable and I'm okay with all of her decisions.

   There's a lot going on in this book. And I loved all of it. There's the bad guy who keeps on coming back. There's Clara's mother, who seems to be hoarding thousands of secrets. There's Tucker Avery, Clara's amazing boyfriend who can't know every single thing that's happening. There's Christian Prescott, who's closer to Clara than I'd like him to be. There's Jeffrey, who's just so angry all the time, I wanted to slap him. There's secrets, revelations, romance--and it all comes together to create a beautiful and amazing book.

   The ending practically had me in pieces. I need Tucker to be a huge character in the next book, or I'm going to hurt someone, I swear. And even though I love Tucker so much, I can't blame Clara for any of her decisions, because she essentially thinks she's protecting everyone and doing what's best.

   Hallowed is a fabulous and gorgeous sequel that had me smiling or in tears throughout the whole book--an instant addition to my "favorites" shelf. There were not enough pages and I am positively dying for the next book.

   5 keys.


11 comments:

  1. I skimmed through this review as believe it or not, I'm yet to Unearthly! Your glowing review of Hallowed has definitely pushed it up my TBR as I've heard great things about Unearthly and it's hard for sequels to actually get better or wow people but Hallowed sounds fabulous! Amazing review as always, Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squeeeeeee I'm so glad you loved this one Sophia :) !! I read Unearthly when it came out last year and absolutely loved it .. For some reason I still haven't bought a copy of Hallowed though I'm dying to know what happens to Clara and Tucker (I don't really care about Christian though, lol) !! Fabulous review Sophia !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel. This is such a great series and this book just gets you! I don't know how Clara is ever going to choose. I am dying for the last book. So glad you love this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHMYGOD TUCKER TUCKER TUCKER! LOL sorry for fangirling, can't help myself! x) Tucker is such a boyish character I adore LOL! Cynthia Hand might be the only author who makes a love triangle I like. ;) And I can't be even more agree with you, there are not enough pages in Unearthly and Hallowed! x)

    Fantastic review, Sophia! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tucker was by far the best part of Unearthly, so based on what you've hinted at, I'm sort of nervous to read this now. Christian just...ugh, got on my nerves. What Clara saw in him, I don't know. And why is a love triangle a prerequisite for a good YA title in the first place? Who knows.

    Though here's a thought. Since there's no way Clara can choose between the two of them, maybe Christian will die a noble death in saving her life or something, thus clearing the way for Clara and Tucker? Hmmm...

    Anyway, great review!

    Renae @ Respiring Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review definitely makes me want to check this out and I've never really been interested in this series! I know Cynthia's name but I've never felt the need to read her books - great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sophia, I love angel books so it's kind of weird that I still haven't started this series yet. I've heard nothing but good things about it so hopefully I can get around to reading it someday soon. I'm looking forward to meeting Tucker :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still haven't read Unearthly! I do however have the second book as well. I need to start reading it!


    Old follower

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo! I loved loved LOVED your review. I read Unearthly some time ago, but I didn't exactly love it :( Although I absolutely adored Tucker, of course. I think the same as you about Christian. He's a very nice boy, but Clara can only have Tucker! There's no other option in my head LOL.

    "Except for maybe kill off Tucker Avery" Hahahaa Yup, that's right. I wouldn't be able to go on with the book if it happened. Glad I read your review, Sophia! Now I'm not so nervous about reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely loved the series! Cynthia really knows how to tell a story. I am so glad I read it! Would really recommend it to everyone!
    Seattle Divorce Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...