Monday, May 21, 2012

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Publication Date: January 24, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Format: eBook
Page Count: 240
SynopsisLast spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever. 

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists. 

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen. 

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...
Review: I remember when everyone got ARCs of this book in their mailbox and I was slowly turning into the green eyed monster. But now that I've read it, I can say that I needn't have let the green eyed monster peek out, because I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would. Which really stinks.

   I think the reason why I didn't like this book was because I couldn't connect with any of the characters. They all seemed dull or forced or a combination of the two. It was nearly impossible for me to feel for Nikki as a reader, because honestly, I couldn't find it in me to empathize with her. She wasn't especially annoying, but she wasn't someone I'd be friends with either.

   There's a weird kind of love triangle in this book. There's Cole, the creepy boy from the Everneath who is also kind of the villain. And then there's Jack, the boy Nikki loves. I wasn't particularly invested in either of them, but Cole was really weird, so I guess I'd choose Jack to be with Nikki.

   The plot is on the slow side, with small spurts of fast paced scenes. There's enough going on to keep a reader engaged, though.

   Everneath sports a unique twist on the classic Persephone/Hades tale with its own creative love story and mythology. I think overall, Everneath was a bit underwhelming and dry. The sequel won't be too high on my tbr list when it comes out, which stinks since the ending is a bit of a cliffhanger.

   2.5 keys.


10 comments:

  1. I, too, was the green eyed monster when this came out that was back when my blog was brand new and I couldn't get a copy of this or Hallowed. Funny thing is I have a copy and I still haven't read it. Just haven't gotten around to it. From your review it doesn't seem like I am missing too much. I like the idea of a Persephone Hades re make. but I am not excited about the creepy characters. Thanks for the honest evaluation, Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky enough to get an ARC of Everneath from Jodi Meadows a few weeks before it came out, but I wasn't too thrilled with the book on the whole. I really, really, hated her characterization—so dull and flat. Like you I didn't feel connected at all with the characters or get invested in their stories.

    Decent book? Yes.

    Worth a second read or all the attention it got? Nope.

    Great review, Sophia. I think you've captured my own feelings on this book perfectly!

    Renae @ Respiring Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree with this review! I couldn't connect with the characters AT ALL so it was strange to me when everyone kept on raving about that. I feel like such an outcast. I'm glad you feel the same way I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bummer you didn't like it! It ended up being one of my favorite books... I did hear that quite a few people didn't connect with the characters like I did. Thanks for your honest review, Sophia! Hopefully if you read "Everbound" you'll like it more. ;)

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read
    www.yearningtoread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, that sucks that you couldn't connect with Nikki. I thought she was totally worthy of sympathy. And I never considered this book a love triangle. It's all Jack, and that's not just out of bias. I never really felt like Nikki felt anything for Cole and vice versa for him, at least not in any true way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad you didn't like this one that much SOphia .. I wasn't planning to read it but now I'm sure I won't. It doesn't sound liek something I'd love .. the cover looks stunning though :) !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, that sucks you didn't like it as much as you hoped! I always hate that. I admit I had a bit of trouble getting into it, but I was shocked by how much I loved it after that. If you do pick up the sequel later, I hope you'll enjoy it more. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry you didn't like it as much as you hoped you would! I hate it when that happens. It's so annoying when there's all this hype and you're so excited to read a book...and then the book isn't as good as you wanted it to be. It's happened to me on more than one occasion, but if I distance myself from the hype, I find that I'm able to enjoy a book more.

    I liked Everneath but like you, didn't have it match my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, it sucks you couldn't connect with the characters and thought it was dry. I actually really enjoyed this one and liked the complexity within the characters. Hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, it's a shame you didn't enjoy this more. I guess not every book works the same way for everyone. Thanks for the honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...