Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Want So Wicked by Suzanne Young

Publication Date: June 26, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Format: ARC
Page Count: 288
SynopsisElise is a normal seventeen-year-old girl until the day she wakes up in a desert park, with no idea who she is. 

After that episode, her life takes a bizarre turn. She’s experiencing unexpected flashes of insight into people’s lives—people she’s never met before. Strangers frighten her with warnings about the approaching Shadows. And although Elise has never had a boyfriend, she suddenly finds herself torn between two handsome but very different young men: Abe, the charming bad boy whose affect on her both seduces and frightens her, and the mysterious Harlin, who’s new to town but with whom Elise feels an urgent, elemental connection—almost as if they are soul mates. 

Now Elise begins to question everything about her life. Why do these guys both want her so desperately? What are the Shadows? Why does the name Charlotte inspire a terrifying familiarity? And who is Elise, really?
Review: Suzanne Young creates a shining sequel to A Need So Beautiful. I'm not sure which of the books I liked better. Maybe the first? I think they're both pretty equal. They're both achingly gorgeous and unique.

   It took me a little while to get into the story. I don't think it was until around 100-120 pages in that I fully invested myself. That sounds like a lot, but it's really not. The pages go by very quickly. Like the first book, the main reason why I loved the story was the concept. I love the idea of supernatural beings (Forgotten) only existing to help others make the right decision. And of course, there must be a balance of good and bad, so there are also the Shadows. The mythology and background of it all is what I found intriguing.

   The characters weren't exactly memorable. They don't always leap off the page, nor are they especially remarkable, but I don't have anything against them either. Elise is a normal girl until she suddenly gets memories of someone else. She also gets impulses to help people she doesn't know. And then through a twisted turn of events, she gets caught between two boys: Harlin and Abe. I thought Abe was creepy as heck. I suppose he could've been seductive, but I always felt something very off about him. Harlin was such a sweetheart. I loved him so much, just like in the first book.

   A Want So Wicked is a thoughtful, wonderful and unique sequel to A Need So Beautiful, complete with easy-to-read prose and a too-perfect-for-real-life romance.

   4 keys.

12 comments:

  1. Ooh, I can't wait for this book to come out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read A Need So Beautiful but I have been wanting to read it. I love the title. I should definitely get the book soon before the sequel comes out!

    Evevn though the characters weren't memorable, I'm still glad you enjoyed it, Sophia!

    Awesome review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to start the first book of this series for a while but I'm a bit wary of these non memorable characters. I'm huge on characters and I like them to be out there and stand out, convince me, you know. I'll probably still give it a try because I love the covers! bahah no just kidding, it sounds pretty good, still!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about Suzanne Young's books and recently got myself a copy of A Need So Beautiful. I hope I can get started on it soon! It's great to hear the sequel is a promising one. Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I can't wait to get my hands on this one! I thought that the first book was really sweet and cute, and the concept was my favourite part too. It was just awesome to have a new and original angel story through all the similar ones! LOL and I love it when boys are supposed to be seductive but end up being more creepy -- total win right there. x)

    Beautiful review for a beautiful book, Sophia! :) I can't wait to read it now! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too-perfect-for-real-life romance? Well, this book completely captures my attention now. I'm really curious how the love story can go to too-perfect line. I haven't read A Need So Beautiful yet, but love the premise of this story. Definitely worth a check out. Amazing review, Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been hearing great things about this series and I've been meaning to start it sooner rather than later. I'm sorry to hear that the characters weren't exactly memorable, that can be a pretty big problem, but if the mythology is interesting enough, I'm still ready to give it a try.
    Great and detailed review as always, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeez, yet another series I want to read! I feel like all these awesome sequels are coming out before I can find time to read the first book. I need to learn to read faster:) Sometimes the too perfect for real life romance is just what I'm in the mood for. Thanks for the review Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still haven't read A Need So Beautiful! I've heard good things about the series though so I'll have to try to get around to reading it. The characters may not be memorable but the concept and mythology sound really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read A Need so Beautiful but now I really want to! This series sounds wonderfully complex and awesome and I love the titles! They are so prettiful, haha. The plot sounds intriguing. Glad you loved it even though the characters weren't memorable! Adding the series to my TBR. Great review, Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I let out a small, "nooooo!" when you mentioned a love triangle, because I loved that there WASN'T one in the first book. But.. I guess with how things ended in ANSB, well, things would be kinda tricky with that relationship. Abe doesn't sound all that great though... eeek!

    The first was really beautiful and unique, so I'm happy to see it's carried on in the sequel. Can't wait to read it!

    Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...