Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris

Publication Date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Format: ARC
Page Count: 445
SynopsisTwo days before the start of her junior year, seventeen-year-old Janelle Tenner is hit by a pickup truck and killed—as in blinding light, scenes of her life flashing before her, and then nothing. Except the next thing she knows, she's opening her eyes to find Ben Michaels, a loner from her high school whom Janelle has never talked to, leaning over her. And even though it isn't possible, she knows—with every fiber of her being—that Ben has somehow brought her back to life. 

But her revival, and Ben's possible role in it, is only the first of the puzzles that Janelle must solve. While snooping in her FBI agent father's files for clues about her accident, she uncovers a clock that seems to be counting down to something—but to what? And when someone close to Janelle is killed, she can no longer deny what's right in front of her: Everything that's happened—the accident, the murder, the countdown clock, Ben's sudden appearance in her life—points to the end of life as she knows it. And as the clock ticks down, she realizes that if she wants to put a stop to the end of the world, she's going to need to uncover Ben's secrets—and keep from falling in love with him in the process. 

From debut author Elizabeth Norris comes this shattering novel of one girl's fight to save herself, her world, and the boy she never saw coming.
Review: I had sky high expectations for this book. I don't think they were exactly met, but I do know that this book was very intense. I had a few problems with it, to be honesty, but overall, I thought it was a good book.

   Janelle was too cookie-cutter heroine for my tastes. She was independent, a good sister, the care taker, smart, and while yes, that sounds fabulous, I just didn't buy it. I felt like she was too plain. She didn't have an unusual personality. She wasn't particularly interesting. She just seemed too unoriginal. I felt the same way about Ben. I know other bloggers found him completely swoon-worthy, but I just didn't feel it. He, like Janelle, was too stereotypical. The smart, attractive, quiet boy who turns out to be something more. I wasn't invested in him, really. Both main characters were too perfect. It wasn't believable. I also wasn't invested in their love. The romance seemed forced and came too quickly for my taste. I loved the minor characters, especially Janelle's younger brother Jared and Ben's friend Elijah. I cannot wait to read more about them in the sequel!

   What really got to me was the plot and the concept. Science fiction is a really broad topic that I love, and Elizabeth Norris definitely had the right idea going when she wrote this. Multiple universes? Love it! I ate it up. There really wasn't an exact science to the science fiction, but I still found it extremely fascinating. The chapters are short and dramatic, making it very easy to read large chunks at a time. The plot is fast-paced and surprising.

   Unraveling is a heart-pounding, crazy intense, and enjoyable story that will surely please many readers. It's fascinating, captivating and highly readable. The characters were disappointing and two-dimensional but the plot and concept made up for it!

   4 keys.

14 comments:

  1. Haha I have sky-high expectations for this book too! I actually re-read the summary the other day and was like, "wait, why do I want to read this book so much again?! Yeesh about Janelle being a cookie-cutter heroine, I hate it when authors are afraid to branch out. It's okay that your character isn't perfect! Although the characters weren't your cup of tea, I'm glad you enjoyed it overall! The parallel universes sound incredibly fascinating. I'm going to have to lower my expectations for this book a bit now. Fantastic review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have high hopes for this book too and I really appreciate your honest review about the things you didn't like. I am not a fan of insta-love much either, for the most part. I am very curious to see how I will like this. Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of stereotypical characters but the fact that it's easy to read and has a unique concept sounds great! I'm SO looking forward to reading this one. :)

    Vicky
    Books, Biscuits, and Tea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im' so glad you finally got around to writing this review! I agree about Janelle and Ben, after thinking about it for a while. They both seems a little too perfect, and I didn't buy the romance at all either! But the secondary characters are what made this book for me. All of them, especially Struz and Alex. It's not often that I read a book that has such in-depth secondary characters. The plot, like you said, was pretty unique and kept me engaged as well.

    I'm also so excited for the sequel! Great review, I feel like you said everything that I thought about this book perfectly. =)

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I'm glad you liked it overall even though you had issues with Janelle and Ben. I totally agree with you about Elijah though - I adored him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww...I loved Janelle...I think the fact that there wasn't anything extraordinary about her, is what I liked so much. I did really love so many of the secondary characters, though. They all had something awesome to bring to the table. And the plot was fantastic, one of my favorite things to read/think about. The wait for book two begins :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of the worldbuilding in this one. I can kind of see why you'd find Janelle boring but I like it when characters seem real, you know? I guess I'll have to read this one to see whether I like Janelle because she's sort of plain or think she's boring because she's plain. Lol. Anyway, great review, Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yaaaaay, I'm literally starting this book next (despite all the other books that got here first LOL) so I just HAD to dive head-first into your review! It's too bad that the two main characters didn't stick with you (which always sucks), but the ALTERNATE UNIVERSES. Oh my gosh, if I'm excited for anything, it has to be that because I've always been the girl who believes there are alternate versions of our universe out there, as crazy as it may seem! x)

    Amazingly honest and concise review, Sophia! It gave me all the information I needed to know before reading this book -- thanks so much! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww, I just adored Ben and Janelle and loved the way their romance played out, but I can definitely see how they won't work for everyone. I'm usually not a big Sci-fi fan, but I loved the concept of this one and thought she did a great job making the idea behind it as believable as science fiction can be:) Wonderful review Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AAAA! I am so dying to read this one. It sounds AWESOME! I haven't read many reviews on this one but your review definitely makes me convinced that I'm going to enjoy this book, Sophia!

    Awesome review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really good. I'm sorry you didn't like the characters but in glad the plot was good lol! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, it's too bad you didn't really like the main characters, but I'm glad it worked for you as a whole and that you enjoyed other things, like science and pacing.
    The multiple universe thing came as a total surprise to me, which I appreciated since it takes quite a bit to surprise me these days.
    Great review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaah, I DISLIKE overly perfect and two dimensional characters! But you know what? I still want to read this book! The concept still sounds amazing and I like fast paced books! So definitely giving Unraveling a shot! Thanks for the great review, Sophia xD

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for reading and reviewing UNRAVELING! I'm glad you mostly liked it! And just wait till you see what comes next...zowie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...