Saturday, April 21, 2012

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Publication Date: May 22, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Format: eGalley
Page Count: 324
SynopsisGalen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he’s heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma’s gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . . 

Told from both Emma and Galen’s points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.
Review: I am sad. I judged this book too quickly. When I read the first paragraph, I thought, "Wow, I'm going to love this book!" And then, I continued reading. My earlier prediction was wrong.

   Unfortunately, I had quite a few problems with this book. The book starts with Emma and her best friend, Chloe, vacationing in Florida. My first problem was with Chloe. Chloe is black. That's awesome--I don't read about too many colored people in YA books. But Chloe has a weave. And wears fake nails. She is at a beach. With a weave. And fake nails. I couldn't believe it. The stereotypes Chloe had were just so cringe-worthy. Oh, and then, (SPOILER!) she dies. And is basically never mentioned again. If my best friend died, I would be thinking about her all the time. But instead, after a week, Emma just forgets about her.

   Emma, I had issues with. She just bugged me. The way she spoke drove me crazy, although there were a few good lines throughout the book. And the way she interacted with Galen was just facepalm worthy. She is supposed to be a feisty, likable character, but sometimes, I thought she was plain crazy. Like, on her first night over at Galen's house, she beat up his sister and threw her against a hurricane-safe window. WTH. Everything about Emma just felt too fake, and I never connected with her. It was the same with Galen. Well, first, let me address the changing of POVs. I don't think it was done well. Galen sounded like a girl. I think the book would've been better if it was just in Emma's POV. Anyway, back to Galen. He didn't have any depth, I don't think. Sure, he was gorgeous, and I guess he could be sweet, but most of the time, he was either boring or creepy.

   The romance. Ohmysweetgoodness, the romance. I didn't like it. Insta-love alert! I am warning you. I didn't believe in Emma and Galen's love for each other. I didn't find either of the characters appealing, so when they were popping out "I love you"s, I was thinking, "WHY. Why do you like each other!" I felt like their attraction to each other was purely physical and without reason.

   The ending is a cliffhanger. By the end, I was annoyed with the book, and wanted it to end. But then the ending was a CLIFFHANGER. I felt like it was a gimmick, saying, "So. Nothing happened in this book. It was slow and there was nothing at all going on. But look! The ending is insane! Read the next book!" I think I'll pass.

   There were a couple of things that I did like. I liked the humor. There were several hilarious lines thrown around in the dialogue that I appreciated. I also felt that Anna Banks's writing wasn't that bad. Sadly, if it were a case of sink or swim, I think Of Poseidon sank. But I'm definitely in the minority. I know tons of bloggers loved this one! Maybe you'll be one of those readers. There are definitely admirable things in this book, but unfortunately, nothing really worked for me.

   2 keys.


18 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm really sad that you didn't love this book. I read it like 2 weeks ago, and I really loved it. But, I do see what you were saying, when Emma got into that fight with Galen's sister I was like what the heck is going on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. bummr it was horrendous for you
    tnx 4 the review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, insta love. WHY??? **sobs** It's one of my biggest book pet peeves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap..this is on my review list for May...a lot of the issues you had concern me. I am not a fan of insta-love...great review ;(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh oh! I plan on reading this one in about two weeks, and some of the things you mentioned do bother me. Thanks for the honest review! Now I have a better idea of what I'm getting into.

    Angie @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL your review make me smile, Sophia! Everytime I read about the 'i love you' and everything in books I can't connect with, I felt like asking the characters, 'why do you fall in love? when? what's sooo good about him/her??' It seems like I missed the chemistry between the couples. :P

    I'm sorry that this book is a disappointment for you, Sophia! I can't resist reading your spoiler and I do think that it's strange that she doesn't think about it all the time! Oh well. Brilliant and honest review still! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, Sophia, I'm so sorry this book disappointed you! :( I actually really enjoyed it (and I kind of started saying ohmysweetgoodness a lot, taking after Emma LOL) but I can understand why you didn't! The part that bothered me most was how Emma didn't think of Chloe at all after she died too -- it was so easy to forget that it happened afterward and I really wish it wasn't.

    Thanks so much for sharing your honest thoughts, Sophia! You don't have to be sad that this book wasn't for you -- you were still honest and gracious about it, and that's all we can ask for in an awesome review, right? :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no. Doesn't sound good. I am not a fan of insta-love and certainly not a fan of I LOVE YOUs popped without reason! It makes me die on the inside ;( Great review though, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, she forgot her best friend after her death? That's horrible. And insta-love?! URGH. And I've been looking forward to this one too! :(
    My best friend is black and I'm Asian. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear you didn't like this one Sophia .. I was wondering if I shoiuld pick up a copy or not but I don't think I'l because I've noticed that we have pretty much the same tastes regarding books so I'll trust you and won't read Of Poseidon :) ! Thanks for the honest review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy this book, Sophia! When I first saw the cover, I was absolutely intrigued to read the book. The cover looks gorgeous and the summary sounds really interesting. It's been a while since I read books about mermaids too. I actually got an ARC of this book as well which I might be reading next month. I can't wait to see what I think of the book!

    Awesome review, Sophia! ♥ I loved how honest it was! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Insta-love and terrible use of multiple points of view? I don't think me and this book will get along then. :( It's a shame you didn't enjoy this more Sophia but from your review I can understand why it bothered you so much. It's always disappointing when a book you think will be great ends up falling in the opposite direction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a bummer. I hate it when I feel in the beginning like 'I'm so going to love it! :D' and it ends up being a disappointment.. Sorry to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I remember your tweet about this book! It's funny because from the summary, I thought this wouldn't be a very good book and still wanted to read it. Then all these positive reviews came flooding in and I thought I was wrong! I heard about the Chloe thing too, ughhh it makes me so mad just reading about it. There's already a lack of POC characters and it sucks they have to be portrayed that way. Emma sounds so frustrating! Esp the scene with the sis you mentioned, what?! I'm sorry you didn't like this book as much as you wanted to, Sophia! Still, this is a great and honest review. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwwww I loved this one! We all have different reactions though and different things that bother us, and I for one love reading a differing opinion:) It's always interesting to me to find out why things that worked for me didn't work for someone else. Do you think you'll read the next book or are you going to be done with the series?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sophia! So nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting so happy to return the favor, I am usuallynvery prompt but have been under the weather. I have this book for review and I will be watching for some of the things you pointed out. I detest cliffhangers so that will,give this book a lower rating. I don't like the stereotype you pointed out. Insta love well I will have to see how I feel about it. Thanks for an honest review. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Uh oh, I have an ARC of this. Lol, who gets decked out when going to the beach? Anyway, neither of the main characters sound appealing from your review so hopefully I'll have a different opinion of them when I read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no, that sucks you were disappointed. :( I hate when that happens. I'm really looking forward to this one too, so I admit that makes me a bit worried. I really hope I'll like it more, but some things seems like things I'd be annoyed with too.. :/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...