Saturday, April 14, 2012

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Publication Date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Format: eGalley
Page Count: 206
SynopsisEverything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.
Review: After reading many raving reviews for Masque of the Red Death, I had really high expectations for it. I can definitely say that I've never read anything quite like this book. I didn't love it as much as other bloggers, unfortunately. It's very strange and confusing at times.

   Masque of the Red Death is dark and terrifying. The world that the book is set in is ridden with disease and hopelessness. The prince doesn't care for his people. The air is toxic. Everything is depressing. Bethany Griffin's world building is wonderful. However, Araby's narration was just so emotionless. I had an extremely difficult time connecting with Araby because of her dull voice. I felt like although there were emotional words on the page, I (Araby, really) didn't feel anything.

   The love triangle is a distinct one. There is a large dose of insta-love between the protagonist and both male leads, but in the end, as a reader, I did genuinely care for both boys. Elliot does throw around the word "love," and although I do not believe that any of the characters are in love, I can definitely see it in the future. Will is the sweet boy who takes care of his siblings. I went back and forth between Will and Elliot, but after a huge plot twist, I think I'm definitely more fond of Elliot and his revolutionary ways.

   Speaking of plot twists, HOLY. CRAP. Bethany Griffin definitely knows how to throw in twists. I felt like the first three quarters of the book were slow and pretty boring, which nothing extremely major happening. And then in the last quarter, Bethany Griffin puts the amp on high and starts throwing in twists and turns, betrayals and revelations. I wish the whole book was as great as the last quarter. Oh, and for a lot of the book, I was confused. It was like there were chunks of book just missing, which disrupted my reading.

   Haunting, unique, and wonderfully dark, Masque of the Red Death is a surprising debut that many readers will enjoy. It fell short of my expectations, but I still thought it was enjoyable.

   3 keys.

14 comments:

  1. I actually agree with you about this book! I just finished reading it myself and although I did enjoy it quite a bit, I didn't find myself AS blown away by it as some other reviewers. The last part of the book was definitely the better half for me and I also found the relationships between Araby and the two boys a little insta-lovey. Still, I do plan to read the sequel and I hope it is slightly better. Awesome review Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that you didn't love this book! The whole concept of this book sounds confusing, so I would actually be surprised if there was no confusion in the book at all. I really don't like insta-love, so I'm not really happy that it's in there. :/ I'm still planning on reading this book, but after reading your review, I'm definitely going to be lowering my expectations. Great review, it was very helpful!

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I'm sorry this book let you down, I haven't read it yet so I'm hoping this doesn't happen to me as well. I'm glad you mentioned the plot twists and the wonderful world building because now I'm extremely intrigued! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygod it sounds AMAZING, Sophia! First of all, it's so great that the world building is amazing cuz it sucks when books miss out on fundamental world building and there are holes in the world building. And two, PLOT TWISTS. I live for those! Especially after my exams get over, I'm so looking forward to getting to read fast-paced novels full of awesome plot twists! I'm in that mood.

    It's too bad that the main character felt emotionless and you didn't LOVE it, though. Still, you've kind of made me want to read it, haha! Awesometastic review, Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read mixed reviews about this one so I'm actually not planning to read it .. at least not yet.Glad you liked it though it didn't meet your expectations Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, I saw generally positive reviews for this book but yours is the second mixed review I've seen! I heard the world building is wonderful too but it's a shame the characters don't live up. I'm still going to read this book though, I'm so curious to see what the plot twists are. Great review, Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been seeing more mixed reviews for this one so I plan on reading it eventually. I love the sound of the world building, but it's too bad you found the MC dull, Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, the love triangle and the instalove combo worries me a bit, but I do love a dark world, and I definitely enjoy a good plot twist or two.
    To be perfectly honest, my expectations aren't really that high, but I'm determined to give this book a chance. Wonderful review as usual, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really dying to read this book! I've heard great things about it and I love the Edgar Allan Poe element in the story. The cover looks absolutely gorgeous too! I'm sorry that this book didn't quite live up to your expectations but I'm still glad you enjoyed it! :)

    Awesome review, Sophia! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you didn't love this one. I really want to read it. I definitely love twists and turns (especially betrayal).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't say I disagree with you about your criticisms, Sophia, but I somehow I was able to look past it because I enjoyed the unusual setting and mood so much, hah. I'm glad you did like it overall! Hopefully the next book tightens up the plot a bit.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review I really enjoyed the world in this one it was so dark and dreary I loved it! I agree about the triangle even though it's a sorta instant connection I really cared about them. And I can't decide which one I like most! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ew, I'm not digging the instalove mention - because when you're gonna do instalove, make me believe it - and I don't like the idea of a boring plot for most of the book. That would equal a DNF for sure. And if the main character's emotions don't leap off the page, that's the biggest downer of all, particularly for character people like me, who really look forward to that part of the book. At least you enjoyed this! Though, I don't think I'll be picking this one up anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, you're not the first one thinking it fell a bit short! Doesn't sound too promising, but at least everyone I've seen have enjoyed it! I need to read it ASAP. I'm super curious to see what I'll think! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...