Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Publication Date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: HarlequinTEEN
Format: eGalley
Page Count: 504
Synopsis: In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity. 

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. 

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters. 

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad. 

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike. 

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.
Review: It's difficult to write this review, because I basically just want to say, "OH MY GOODNESS IT WAS SO FABULOUS YOU NEED TO READ IT RIGHT NOW." I loved this book. It's strange because I wasn't that fond of The Iron King. I wasn't expecting much from this book either, but then I read it. The Immortal Rules blew me away. With a strong gale.

   There are so many things I want to say about this book. (Warning: this review will be total gush.) I'll start with the vampire concept. I'm not a big fan of vampires. I think it's overdone and there's nothing fresh anymore. But then, this book came along innocently and spun my world around. The world that Julie Kagawa created was brutal, scary, and gritty. The vampires were truly evil and malicious. The humans were weak and frail. The myths of vampires were true. There were no sparkly vamps, and they had fangs--thank goodness.

   Allie was a great protagonist. She doesn't accept no as an answer. She's so kick butt! The only problem I had with her was that sometimes, she was just so selfless. I know, I know, that's a fabulous trait to have, but at times, I thought it was put to an extreme. Nonetheless, Allie is a character I really enjoyed reading about. This book is long, but I'd be okay with reading another 500 pages!

   Usually, I am a huge sucker for a love story. I usually only read a book with a love story in it, which is why I love the YA genre so much, haha. But this book is an exception. I would be totally okay if this book didn't have a love story. To be honest, I sometimes felt like the romance was out of place. I initially thought that Allie's love interest would be Kanin, her creator. But then Zeke came along. It took me a while to warm up to him, mainly because I was still so attached to Kanin, but by the end, I realized that Zeke had wormed himself into my heart.

   The plot in this book is insane. There's always something big going on. It's exciting, breathtaking, intense, thrilling and utterly amazing. I feel like there's nothing bad to say about this book! It's crazy. Maybe I love it so much because my expectations were low, but honestly, The Immortal Rules is a book you do not want to miss.

   Addicting, gripping, and dark, The Immortal Rules grasps your attention and doesn't let go until you've turned the last page. Once you've finished the book, you'll be begging for the next installment.

   5 keys.


18 comments:

  1. I totally loved this novel and it was my first time reading Kagawa's work. I cannot wait for book two. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing about Kanin Sophia! I was sure that was where the romance was going to be and it took me a little while to figure out they were going to have more of a mentor relationship, and I don't feel like we're in any danger of a love triangle forming so I'm grateful for that. I just loved this story so much, Allie was amazing, and like you, I pretty much just wanted to write READ THIS BOOK for my review:) So glad you loved this one, fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your first line basically sums up this book LOL x)

    I'm a huge sucker for love stories too, so I'm really happy that you eventually warmed up to Zeke! He was just such a sweet, caring, and absolutely adorable book boy that I wish my guy friends were more like (instead of using the word "swag" and trying to be cool LOL) ;) I have no idea how you could've had low expectations going into this book, but whatever the reason, I'm just cheering inside that it beat them out! :)

    Amazing review, Sophia! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My expectations were sort of low because I wasn't a fan of Julie's The Iron King. But no worries! I'm DEFINITELY a huge fan of the Blood of Eden series! <3

      Delete
  4. Great review!! I totally loved this book too! I'm actually posting my review tomorrow if you want to stop by! I love how romance played such a little part in this story and it felt kind of natural, because it wasn't full blown romance but kind of slow and sweet and heartbreaking!
    haha I like how vampires being scary and terrifying is the "fresh" take on vampires though we started with Dracula. I guess Twilight has changed everyone's perception of vampires into approachable beings. ^.^

    Ning @ Reading by Kindle Fire

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha the only reason I knew Kanin wasn't her love interest was because I saw bloggers mention Zeke! I remember seeing your tweets about it but alas, I don't think it's mean to be. I really liked how intense this book was. I was surprised because I couldn't get through the Iron Fey (re-trying though this weekend) but I enjoyed this book. Love your review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gr8 review sophia
    you are so hyper lol

    its abit slow at the begiining but getting in to it ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!!!! I AM SO GLAD YOU ENJOYED THIS BOOK, Sophia!

    All this hype going on about The Immortal Rules makes me SO excited to read it! I hope I can read it soon. Anyway..

    The Immortal Rules is REALLY THICK. But, that just means we get to read more of Julie's awesome writing!

    I am so glad The Immortal Rules does not disappoint The Iron Fey series fans! I LOVE THE IRON FEY SERIES and Ash so I'm really interested to meet Zeke!

    Awesome review, Sophia! ♥ I am so glad The Immortal Rules is a 5 keys book! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to hear that you loved this one .. Your enthusiasm is contagious because I'm dying to read it now !! I honestly didn't know if I would pick up a copy because I loathe this cover .. But I realize that I have to get past that and read it because it seems to be an amazing book :)! Thanks for the AMAZING review Sophia :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It makes me so happy when other people love the books I love. I'm so glad you liked this, Sophia! :D I agree with all your points, especially about Kanin. Maybe it says something about the way I read my books, but I was almost looking for the love interest, haha. I just expected it to be him, but I'm so glad I got that wrong. Zeke is a great character and i adored him in this book. Amazing review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you liked it! I'm super excited to read this. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay!! I'm so happy you loved it so much. :DDD I'm picking this one up SOON and can't WAIT! I keep hearing amazing things about it and it sounds fantastic... Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got this one on my Nook from NetGalley, and I'm excited to read it! I'm glad to hear that you really loved it. Isn't it just awesome when you find a book like that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know everyone seems to love The Iron Fey series which I still haven't read so I'm happy she just started another series where I'm not behind and can jump on the bandwagon. I've got really high expectations for this one, Sophia. I'm glad it doesn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know how you feel, this book was really good! I loved seeing that the vampire genre isn't completely worn out yet because I LOVE vampires! I haven't read the Iron Fey series yet but I'll hopefully do so in the near future. I've seen mixed reviews so I'm not sure what to expect.

    Wonderful review, Sophia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book IS very fabulous and very much unlike The Iron Fey series which was great, as much as I loved her first series. It was so wonderful to be able to explore this dark side of Julie's writing, and Allie as survivor and as she grows is a great protagonist to read and grow fond of. I loved Kanin, and while I drooled over him, I never saw him as a love interest. Zeke did me in. The sweetness mixed with the badassery just... WARMED me everywhere ;D Loved this book!

    Have an amazing reading week!

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review, Sophia! The romance didn't really wirk for me either, I would have been much happier with a relationship between Ali and Kanin, and I was very disappointed when she left him and started wandering, but overall, I enjoyed this book a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just read the Temple Wars Novel on Ganesha! The story is well told through a parallel protagonist Tarun who helps Ganesha retrieve his objects from the spirit world. It's a page-turner that will have you wanting more. You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...