Monday, March 26, 2012

Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg

Publication Date: April 1, 2012
Publisher: Point
Format: ARC
Page Count: 278
SynopsisFrom the fantastic author of The Lonely Hearts Club and Prom & Prejudice comes a story of all the drama and comedy of four friends who grow into themselves at a performing arts high school.

Emme, Sophie, Ethan, and Carter are seniors at a performing arts school, getting ready for their Senior Showcase recital, where the pressure is on to appeal to colleges, dance academies, and professionals in show business. For Sophie, a singer, it's been great to be friends with Emme, who composes songs for her, and to date Carter, soap opera heartthrob who gets plenty of press coverage. Emme and Ethan have been in a band together through all four years of school, but wonder if they could be more than just friends and bandmates. Carter has been acting since he was a baby, and isn't sure how to admit that he'd rather paint than perform. The Senior Showcase is going to make or break each of the four, in a funny, touching, spectacular finale that only Elizabeth Eulberg could perform.
Review: I'm still not very sure what I thought of this book. It was definitely emotional and interesting, but it didn't exactly blow me away. Contemporaries rarely do.

   As usual, it was the characters that made this book only lukewarm to me. These characters had flaws. Now, I know all characters have flaws, and sometimes, that's what makes them admirable, but these particular flaws completely eclipsed all of the other characteristics. Emme was a nice girl, but her ignorance was *headdesk*-worthy. Sophie was just an awful person. She was self-absorbed, annoying, and a back-stabber. I'm so glad that there weren't many chapters in her perspective because I could not stand her. Ethan and Carter, I didn't mind as much. Especially Carter. He was my favorite.

   For a book that switched through four people's point of views, Elizabeth Eulberg tackled that aspect very well. I wasn't ever confused as to which character's mind I was in, which was a good thing. I also liked how Elizabeth Eulberg wrapped this book up in a lovely way. The good people got their rewards, and the bad people got what they deserved. I just wish Sophie realized what a complete jerk she is.

   I loved the concept of this book. Performing arts schools have always seemed so cool to me. And the artistic talent that these characters had made me envious! Each character had many problems and bumps along the way to truly discovering themselves.

   I would definitely recommend Take a Bow to fans of contemporary, drama and music-related books. It's a refreshing and inspiring story of teenagers finding who they are and what they want. The characters sometimes drove me up the wall, but overall, Take a Bow was a nice story.

   3.5 keys.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely review..hope Sophia didn't hurt your head too much. I am not a huge fan of this genre..but like you the music academy appeals to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of Eulberg's novels but this one probably isn't for me since the characters just sound so-so or in Sophie's case, annoying.

    It's nice though that you get to read through each of the character's POVs and that that's done well. Balancing multiple viewpoints sometimes doesn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ever since i wanted the movie fame a few years ago I loved stories set in performing art schools too! I really enjoyed reading you're review; this is a book I'm very excited for!
    from the excerpts online, i feel like Carter is going to be my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my biggest problem with contemporaries (not that I don't still read quite a few of them) is that I almost always find them to be predictable, and if I can predict nearly everything that's going to happen, there's nothing left to enjoy, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I'm not a huge fan of these kind of contemporaries, but I might just read it anyway because of the performing art school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really impressed with how the four different POVs were handled as well Sophia, I loved how everyone was distinct and separate but definitely tied to one another as well. I would have loved Sophie to have grown a bit more too (I wanted to smack her), but I also think her not changing was fairly realistic, those as self-centered as she was often don't expand their tunnel vision at all. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agh, the character flaws don't sound very likable :( As you said, flaws are what often make a character so lovable, but when they're annoying flaws that really grate your nerves, particularly when you're reading from that POV... it can draw you away from the story. Despite this, I'm glad it was still an enjoyable read! I really liked Elizabeth's previous novels, so I will likely check this one out too, eventually! Fab review :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I know what you mean, Soph! x) Contemporaries rarely blow me away either (that's why I don't usually read as much), but I actually really adored this one! I couldn't stand Sophie either, but Carter was definitely one of my favourites because he was so sweet and funny and awesome! x) And I thought that EE did well with multi-POVs too! Maybe it's because the chapters are a little shorter and each of the characters have a different look on life, but that's one thing that I really adored about this book! :)

    Amazing review, Sophia! Maybe we should move to a performing arts school together LOL! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the characters sound like they would tap dance on my last nerves. I am a fan of changing perspectives though. So I actually might find some interest in this if I could get past the annoying character flaws of the four kids.

    I do think the concept is an interesting though one. It would be cool to see into the lives of kids in a performing arts school. I wonder about the differences between PA schools and public schools. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, I'm sorry the characters were lackluster for you (especially Sophie, she sound so frustrating!) but I'm glad the rest of the book worked out well. I'm always interested in performing schools because I don't have a performing bone in my body and like to live vicariously though them, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm! I admit I've been quite curious about this one, but I'm still not sure if it's a book for me! Especially if the characters have those flaws... Hm. I guess we'll see if I'll end up picking it up later or not! Great review and I'm glad you enjoyed it overall:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard great things about this book and I love the cover + the summary! I actually wanted to read this book sorry that you didn't quite enjoyed it! I will definitely add this to my TBR and see what I think of the book myself but awesome review, Sophia! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...