Saturday, March 24, 2012

Shooting Stars by Allison Rushby

Publication Date: February 28, 2012
Publisher: Walkers Children
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 272
SynopsisMeet Josephine Foster, or Zo Jo as she’s called in the biz. The best pint-sized photographer of them all, Jo doesn’t mind doing what it takes to get that perfect shot, until she’s sent on an undercover assignment to shoot Ned Hartnett—teen superstar and the only celebrity who’s ever been kind to her—at an exclusive rehabilitation retreat in Boston. The money will be enough to pay for Jo’s dream: real photography classes, and maybe even quitting her paparazzi gig for good. Everyone wants to know what Ned’s in for. But Jo certainly doesn’t know what she’s in for: falling in love with Ned was never supposed to be part of her assignment.
Review: Contemporary is such a hit-or-miss genre for me. Although Shooting Stars was very cute, it did fall flat.

   Jo was a character that I had tepid feelings for. Sometimes, I liked her a lot. But other times, I felt like her voice was too naive or dramatic. She was definitely a unique character, though! The whole book was unique. It was original and cute, but nothing very memorable.

   The romance was also sweet, but bland. Jo and the boy she liked (wink wink, to those who've read this one) were very nice together! They were adorable and dorky, but smile-worthy. The romance was a bit rushed, but enjoyable nonetheless.

   I liked the underlying themes of the book. There's more to this novel than just the story of a teenage paparazzo. It's about believing in yourself, deciding what's right and wrong, confronting your problems, and finding friends along the way.

   Shooting Stars is a truly heart-warming story. I think I'd recommend it to preteens. It may not have been amazing to me, but it could be fabulous for another reader!

   3 keys.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a pretty luke-warm book. I guess it will be suited to some people more than others. Thanks for the helpful review! I'm glad you still thought Jo was a unique character despite the flaws. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about contemporary reads! It's one reason why I usually stick to reading paranormal and find the random contemp gem in the lot haha. x) But I'm glad that this book is more than the regular "teenage paparazzo" -- and I love the way you worded it LOL! Contemporary books are always more touching when you feel like they have depth and awesomeness to them :) <3

    Amazing review, Sophia! I'm adding this to my TBR pile now because your last line gave me hope. Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's sad! The summary looked great so I thought it would be an awesome read D: But yep, that's what happens with contemporary novels, unfortunately.

    I don't think I'll pick it up in the near future, but then? I think it'd be a perfect summer light read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way about contemporary: I rarely decide to pick one up, but then it's all or nothing. I'm sorry this didn't quite work for you, but from what I understand, the main character is Asian so kudos to Rushby for that. We really need that kind of diversity.
    Sophie is right, this sounds kile the kind of book you'd bring to the beach with you.
    Great review, Sophia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this one! I agree it was blow-you-mind amazing, but it was a fun, quick read and I like those every now and again even though they never wind up on my favorites shelf:) Really nice review Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was excited for this book but unfortunately like you, it fell a bit flat for me! It was cute but ultimately forgettable for me. I liked the underlying themes of this book too but it felt like it was just skimming the surface. Wonderful review, Sophia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love contemporaries and just based off the synopsis, I figured this one would be more cute and fun than amazing. Seems like I was right. I have this one in my TBR pile so I'll save it for a day when I'm feeling kind of down. Thanks, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...