Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Publication Date: February 28, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 375
SynopsisI’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare, pushing aside thoughts of Alex, pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school, push, push, push, like Raven taught me to do.The old life is dead.But the old Lena is dead too.I buried her.I left her beyond a fence,behind a wall of smoke and flame.

Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.
Review: Right now, the only thing I can think is, "OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD, THE ENDING. OH GOD. I KNEW IT. I KNEW IT. OH GOD," because that ending... it's a killer. It's killing me, slowly.

   Pandemonium is set up in chapters that alternate from "then" and "now." I thought the set up was very unique and well done. Lena's old life and her new life were both interesting, although I was more fond of the "now" chapters. Some moments were dull, but as a whole, Pandemonium was heart wrenching and stomach twisting.

   Lena has changed a lot since the last book. She is no longer the weak and curious girl she used to be. Now, Lena is strong and determined. She is tough and smart. Although sometimes she frustrated me, I liked her for the most part. I loved her Invalid friends, such as Raven and Tack. And then there's Julian.

   I've heard many bloggers say that they completely fell for Julian. Personally, I didn't. It wasn't that he wasn't charming, it was just that he wasn't charming enough. And I couldn't get over how much I loved Alex, and so I couldn't really give my heart to Julian.

   My biggest complaint was that the love aspect of this book was predictable. I saw it coming, but it still didn't take away the "OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD" feeling. I'm so scared to see how things will wrap up in Requiem.

   Pandemonium is a fantastic sequel that breaks my heart and fills it at the same time. Lauren Oliver continues to write in her beautiful poetic way, but never encroaching the "purple prose" territory. This book has a wonderful balance of romance, thrill, heartbreak, and sacrifice. I am so excited for Requiem, it's crazy.

   4.5 keys.


11 comments:

  1. It makes me so happy that you really enjoyed the "then" and "now" set-up of the book, Sophia! I've heard so many people say that it bothered them, but I personally think it would be a really cool way to read a book and I'm glad that you felt the same way! :) And I LOVE strong, growing characters, so the fact that Lena becomes a much more determined and tough character in this book is another thing that makes me super eager to read this!

    Beautiful review, Sophia! <3 Even if you didn't fall head over heels for Julian, this sounds like such an amazing sequel!! Mailman, where are you with my book?? x)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEE!!! I am reading Pandemonium right now!

    Anyway, like you, I'm not that fascinated by Julian. BECAUSE HE IS NO ALEX. I am so sad that Alex is not in the story this time because he was one of the main reasons why I LOVED DELIRIUM! <3

    I love how Lena has changed throughout the story too! She becomes much stronger and amazing.

    YES! Lauren Oliver sure loves to break our hearts! ;P

    Oh my gosh, is it 2013 already? Even though I haven't finished Pandemonium, I FEEL LIKE I NEED REQUIEM NOW!

    Plus, I was able to guess what the cliffhanger in Pandemonium is after reading so many reviews on how the book ends in a cliffhanger!

    Anyway, AWESOME REVIEW Sophia!! <3 So glad you enjoyed it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually own this, I just need to gather the courage to pick it up. I had a few issues with Delirium, but most of them were about Lena so I'm very glad to know that she actually changes somewhat in this book.
    I'm never a big fan of changing the love interest so I sincerely doubt that I'll like Julian, but I guess it remains to be seen.
    Lovely review, Sophia!

    Maja @ The Nocturnal Library

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book sitting on my shelves but it'll be my next read :) !! Who is this Julian guy ????????????? I love Alex .. and I had no idea there'd be a new love interest in the second book ! I'm even more impatient toe read this one now that I've read your review Sophia :) !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first paragraph just slays me in this review :-) Now I'm all, like, 'What the hell happens at the end?!' I need to pick this up YESTERDAY and get it read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julian definitely compelled me, but I am always, always, always going to be Team Alex and OH GOD. SOPHIA. THE ENDING. THE FREAKING ENDING!! *CRIES* Waiting a goddamn year to see what's going to happen next? THAT IS SO CRUEL! *nervous breakdown*

    Seriously, how terrible would it be if the world really ended this year? I mean, our brains would be eaten by zombies, so we wouldn't be able to acknowledge the fact that we'll never know, but still... IT'S A SCARY THOUGHT.

    Anyway, amazing review! I loved Lena's growth in this book and I really enjoyed the way Lauren told the story with Now/Then. Gosh I love her writing, the woman is damn talented. As are you, m'dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SOPHIA!!!! THAT ENDING! I literally almost died. I knew that was going to happen but it didn't make it any less painful, and now we have to wait so long for the next book! *cries* I think I might give myself a stress-induced ulcer before book 3 comes out. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY! That ending was killer! I had to sit back and just breathe for a while. Guh.
    Anyway, like you said, I loved Lena's growth in this novel. I liked Julian, but I wasn't completely sold on him, if not just because he was essentially Lena in book one (and Lena was in Alex's role). Great review! :)
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stumbled upon your blog from Katie's book blog and I loved getting to know you in the interview. I'm gonna take a look around your blog today.

    I loved this book WAY more than Dilirium but I couldn't say that I fell in love with Julian. I like him...but I had a hard time picturing Lena truly having feelings for him.

    Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was more into the now too which is understandable because that's where all the action is. Yeah, the book was predictable in its plot but I think the way Lauren Oliver did it was fantastic. She really made me fall for Julian and now I have all these FEELINGS and I just know it's not going to end well. :( I'm interested to see how this series ends! Fantastic review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...