Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Publication Date: August 24, 2010
Publisher: Scholastic
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 391
SynopsisKatniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plains - except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay - no matter what the personal cost.
Review: A conclusion to a book series as awesome as this one is difficult to write. So, firstly, kudos to Suzanne Collins for writing a solid ending to The Hunger Games trilogy. There were problems along the way, yes, but there were also a lot of great things in this final installment.

   I remember being so excited for this book to come out. I remember buying it right away and reading it very slowly, trying to absorb everything. One to two years later, I forgot everything. As a part of my "Reread Favorites Month," I thought I'd conclude the month with Mockingjay to freshen up my memory.

   I like how realistic Suzanne Collins kept this book. War is inevitable, obviously. People die in war. Tactics are used. Manipulation is needed. Not everything can have a happy ending wrapped in a little bow. I appreciate that Suzanne Collins stuck through with the difficult task of writing about war and killing off characters.

   I didn't like how inconsistent the plot was. Sometimes, it dragged on and on. Sometimes, it went at the perfect speed. And yet other times, it was just rush rush rush. The plot was very crazy and difficult to keep track of, in my opinion. Katniss would do nothing one day, she'd be killing off people the next, and the day after she'd be mental.

   I didn't like that Suzanne Collins killed off so many of my favorite characters. Yes, I understand why it happened, but still. My heart is broken. I also didn't like how the "love triangle" aspect was concluded. It just didn't feel satisfactory to me.

   Just the thought of trying to write a heavy book like this one makes my mind spin. Suzanne Collins is something of a genius. My heart may have been broken along the way, but Mockingjay was still a grand read.

15 comments:

  1. I felt the exact same way! Probably one of the best things about these books was how realistic Suzanne Collins them -- that's what brought the WOW factor to the next level! But whenever someone died, my heart always broke too even though it's true that death was part of the realism. :(

    Still, this was an AMAZING review, Sophia! <3 It's official -- you've convinced me to re-read this series before the movie comes out even though I have so many other books to read! I want to be swept away again like you were. SC is definitely a genius! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree, Suzanne Collins is a genius... This book was absolutely amazing. It still haunts me.... I cried and all that. phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This series is one of my favorite. I can't forget it and never will. Yes, killing these amazing characters broke my heart but it's what I looked for when I first read these books. I love how this last book is writtent and I love the rhythm changements. I was never bored but always on the edge.

    Great review! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I didn't like that Suzanne Collins killed off so many of my favorite characters. Yes, I understand why it happened, but still. My heart is broken. I also didn't like how the "love triangle" aspect was concluded. It just didn't feel satisfactory to me."

    YES! I feel the exact same way now that I've had plenty of time to think over everything that happened. Initially my review was really positive, but the more I thought about it, the more certain things bothered me and they're the exact things you mentioned in the above. Wonderful review Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeek, I'm not a fan of this boo. :| I'm still so upset about the ending (mainly because of the killing characters bit among other things, haha) but I loved reading your review! That's so true what you brought up about the war, it was realistic, which I could appreciate Suzanne Collins for writing. War is dark and brutal. I especially agree on the plot too, it felt like a rollercoaster going slowly and then faster! Fantastic review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you on the killing of characters and how the love triangle was concluded. I understand why certain characters were killed off - since everyone is at war - but the love triangle . . . sighs. I didn't even know what really happened to one of my favourite characters. But despite that, LOVED this book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only read The Hunger Games and have avoided spoilers for books 2 and 3 (which I'm hoping to read in the summer) so I'm curious now as to which characters get killed off. I loved The Hunger Games though and agree that Suzanne Collins is a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the first two books in the series. i disliked how most of my favorite characters got killed off too. This book was very realistic but i found it inconclusive with how the love triangle ended. fantastic review.

    i read your interview with katie and i love reading on the bed and M&Ms. i agree that the story siren is the queen of book blogs. she is very inspiring.

    new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sophia - how old were you when you started the Hunger Games trilogy? Just curious because my 10 year old is dying to read it, but I think middle school/high school age teens would better appreciate the story and themes. I'm hearing of lots of 4th/5th graders reading it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the books when I was 12 years old. I think it's okay for your 10 year old as long as s/he is fine with violence. :)

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear that while you still enjoyed it, there were a few aspects that didn't hit the mark for you in this. I really loved the entire novel and morbidly.... while I obviously HATE when my favourite characters die, I kinda love the emotional impact it has on me LOL. I don't know if 'love' is the right word, but they're the books that stay in my heart the longest and I like when they're able to get such a reaaction out of me. If that makes sense haha.

    Anyway, fantastic review! Ahhh, you're all set for for the movie now! part of me wants to reread the entire trilogy before the movie, but I think I might wait otherwise I may nitpick the smaller details since they'll be fresh in my mind. So excited to see it on the big screen, it's going to be incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous review Sophia :) !!
    I love the Hunger Games series but I have to admit that Mockingjay is the one that I liked the least ... I definitely agree with you, I found the plot a bit inconsistent as well !! Though I really liked it, I was a bit disappointed in this one ..
    I'm a new follower by the way, here's my blog if you'd like to check it out : onceuponaquote.blogspot.com !!
    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful, in-depth and honest review, Sophia! I had some huge issues with Mockingjay, myself. As emotional and stunning as it was, I was completely unsatisfied with how the love triangle was resolved, and where it left two of the characters. (Being vague sucks but I don't want to spoil anyone.) And I was just kind of nonplussed with some things, like Peeta's entire arc. In some ways despite the fact that the pacing was fine for me, it felt like Suzanne Collins was rushing to wrap up the story. And yes, the deaths hurt. One in particular broke my heart and I'm still not over his death.

    Thank you for visiting my blog!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this book! The wait of 1 year until this book was released, I expected something completely different. I felt like she made this book closer to reality and that is why I liked it so much...but my fave of the series is Catching Fire.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just read the Temple Wars Novel on Ganesha! The story is well told through a parallel protagonist Tarun who helps Ganesha retrieve his objects from the spirit world. It's a page-turner that will have you wanting more. You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...