Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Million Suns by Beth Revis

Publication Date: January 10, 2012
Publisher: Razorbill
Format: ARC
Page Count: 387
SynopsisGodspeed was once fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos. It’s been three months. In that time, Amy has learned to hide who she is. Elder is trying to be the leader he’s always wanted to be. But as the ship gets more and more out of control, only one thing is certain: They have to get off the ship.
Review: Wow. What. A. Sequel. A Million Suns completely blew Across The Universe out of the water. It says that Godspeed was once fueled by lies, but now it's ruled by chaos? No. It's still fueled on lies. So many lies, it's mind boggling. Of course, there's a frex load of chaos as well.

   I have so much respect for Elder. He's a strong character and I got so frustrated reading in his perspective, because he has to handle things that are beyond his control. Elder is very admirable in many ways. I felt bad for him throughout a lot of the book for various reasons. Elder likes Amy a lot. So much, and yet Amy takes that for granted and claims she doesn't return the favor, and it's just like, "Amy. You need to be grateful this awesome boy gives you the time of day, because you're a freak, and he has a ship to run, and you're ruining everything."

   So, if you couldn't tell, I had a few problems with Amy. I felt like she caused so much trouble. She played with Elder's heart and threw pity parties for herself. I just couldn't find it in myself to feel sorry for her. But Amy does have a special redeeming quality. She's smart. Amy is very intelligent and quickly finds and solves clues. A lot of the discoveries in this book are because of her (and Orion). So kudos to her.

   The plot in this book is incredible and unbelievable. The twists and surprises are crazy as frex. Once you think you know what's going on, Beth Revis adds a plot twist and suddenly, things are chaotic again. The thing about mysteries is that if it's a good one, I get frustrated easily. And I got so very frustrated while reading this book. That's a good thing... I think. Hidden secrets and abundant surprises make the plot in this book insane.

   A Million Suns is a fantastic sequel with more intensity, mystery and romance than its precedent. I am dying for the third and final installment.

   4.5 keys.

14 comments:

  1. I completely agree! A Million Suns left me with my mouth hanging open. There were so many huge reveals! Beth Revis is amazing. I can't wait for book 3! Great review, Sophia. :)
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eep I'm reading this one in a couple of weeks finally. I scheduled the review and everything so I can make sure to have time for it. I've only heard good things and super curious about it. Wonderful review Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was pretty determined not to read this, Sophia! I wasn't the biggest fan of book 1 and I figured I'd just avoid book two altogether, but every single review I've read so far was pretty much like yours. I'm glad to hear that Elder has grown even more.
    I'm fresh out of excuses, it seems.
    Thanks for the lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophiaaaaaaaaa!! I so totally agree with everything you said! What a review my dear! you do make justice to this awesome book! =D I agree about Elder, he is so frexing strong and has to deal with all those frexing problems @___@ God, poor dude sniff!!

    take care sweet and Happy reading!
    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really have to pick up a copy of Across the Universe because it sounds amazing !! I'm a huge fan of sci fi so I'm sure I'll love this series !! Thanks for the great review Sophia (I haven't read it all in case there'd be spoilers ..)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm. I'm not a fan of pity parties or the characters who throw them, so I think I will probably have the same issues with Amy as you did Sophia! Seems like those issues weren't enough to overshadow Elder and the story though, so I'm still really looking forward to reading this one. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. More intense and more romance? Yay! :D I am really looking forward to starting this one soon. I don't know why I've been putting it off for so long (Okay, maybe I do...that annoying TBR pile. ;)) but after all the great reviews I have read for it, I am feeling hopeful I will love it. I really liked the first one and it;s great to hear you think the sequel is even better. Awesome review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yayayay! I'm super glad you liked it so much. I love when sequels live up the the first book! I did skim your review a bit, since I still have to read Across the Universe (I knowww, I'm bad!) but I can't wait! The series sound amazingly good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To all the YAYs above me: I second ye!! x) Oh my gosh, Sophia, your review just got me super-duper excited to read this book! I was only a mild fan of Across the Universe so this wasn't really a priority read, but all the things I had problems with -- like Amy -- were mentioned in your review, and it kind of washed away my apprehension! Amy may not have been perfect, but she's definitely intelligent and I'm glad she uses that! :)

    Amazing review, Sophia! I can't wait to read more of this surprising sci-fi mystery! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't like this book as much as you did but I loved that you loved it so much! I had the same problems with Amy, sometimes I really wanted to shake her. I love the line from that it's ruled by chaos and lies! I think it makes an intriguing series and I'm curious to see how Beth Revis takes the next book. Absolutely wonderful review, Sophia. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is in my tbr pile..just need to get a few reviews out of the way..LOL So glad you enjoyed it..I cannot wait !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! I agree this book was intense and frustrating but in a good way! I never could figure out what would happen next. I also understand what you mean about Amy but what redeems her is that she is smart. I am definitely looking forward to where this story will go next.

    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED this book as well!!! Shades of Earth comes out tomorrow - and I can't wait! Too bad the Book Depository takes so long to ship. Great review! I know we'll love this final book in the series! :D

    Marlene Detierro (Dallas Local SEO)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This series is unlike any other. It kept me on edge and wanting to know more. Seriously an amazing read!
    Dallas Air Conditioning

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...