Saturday, March 10, 2012

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

Publication Date: March 6, 2012
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Format: ARC
Page Count: 367
Synopsis: It starts with a whisper: “It’s time for you to know who you are…” 

Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before. 

Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth. The guy she thought she could fall in love with has been keeping his identity a secret: he’s only half-human—oh, and same goes for her. 

A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden… 
Review: I was so excited for this book. It sounded completely awesome. I'm a fan of angel books, and this one sounded perfect for me. But now I want to slam my head into something. I was so disappointed.

   My main problem... can you guess it? The main character. Violet Eden bugged me like no other. She was confusing and irrational. I couldn't ever relate to her. She would do something that I thought was ridiculous. I read this in another review (I can't remember which one--sorry!), but one reviewer mentioned that Violet was so insecure because she had been nearly raped by one of her teachers. And then later, she was totally open to strangers grinding against her, and almost kissing her. Er, what. Violet was dense and oblivious. She was also a complete drama queen. She overreacted to everything, being calm one scene and totally losing her marbles with one sentence.

   I had a love/hate relationship with Jessica's writing style. I was beyond annoyed by the abuse of ellipsis (...) and exclamation points (!). Jessica also often used characters as a way to deposit HUGE info dumps, which could've been avoided. Her writing was far more "tell" than "show." However, there were also times where her prose was just really beautiful.

   It's easy to tell that Jessica did her angel research. There's a lot of angel mythology in this book, which I liked. I liked knowing the background of the angel hierarchy and all the rules of being a Grigori. It was intriguing and a nice element in the book.

   There's a bunch of cliches in this book, including a love triangle. I don't know which team I'm on, because neither of them were really all that great. I mean, yes, it's totally obvious who Violet loves more, and who she'll probably end up with. But I'm not particularly sold on either of the boys. I guess I'll have to read Entice to see if my opinion changes.

   Taking a unique spin on angel mythology, Embrace is a dramatic addition to the YA genre. Although other readers loved it, I was underwhelmed. Don't be discouraged by my review, because as I said before, other bloggers really loved this one.

   2.5 keys.

13 comments:

  1. I agree! I heard such great things about this book but it ended up being DNF'd for me. My patience was already tried when she looked into one of the angel's eyes and "just knew" (what kind of reasoning is that?!) she was an angel. Then the huge info dumps came and I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I read the same thing about the sexual assault too, I think it's very disappointing that it was used like a throwaway arc, it really undermines how horrifying sexual assaults are. :( I wasn't a fan of this book but I can see why people were drawn to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embrace is originally published first by Australia which means that it's an Aussie book which means that I NEED TO READ IT but I was never intrigued to read the series, partly because the summary didn't quite interest me.

    I definitely need to read this book though! I haven't read a book about angels lately and all bloggers seem to rave about it. I have 2 books in the series ready to be read so I just have to find the perfect time to read it!

    I am sorry that you feel underwhelmed but I'm glad that you still want to continue reading the series!

    FABULOUS Review, Sophia! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Sophia, I'm really sorry that this book disappointed you! It always sucks when you're excited to read a book but it only falls flat of your high expectations, especially if it's heavily hyped about. :( I can definitely understand how you'd be turned off by Violet because she did make some not-so-smart decisions. But I agree completely about the cool angel lore! It was one of my favourite things about this book because of its originality! :)

    Awesome honest review, Sophia! I'm glad you're still giving book two a shot! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHH that's too bad you didn't love it .. I'm not a fan of YA books with angels so I'm not planning to read this one actually.. Thanks for the fabulous and honest review Sophia :) !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, sorry you didn't enjoy this one as much as you had hoped. I love angel books so I think I'll still buy this one! Plus, the cover is gorgeous. I hope Violet doesn't get on my nerves and that I'll like the two boys in the love triangle. Fantastic review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just too bad! I was kind of looking forward to this one, even though the reviews I've read so far weren't really promising. I really can't stand dense heroines, and I tend to just give up if their behavior makes no sense to me.
    Lovely review, Sophia!
    Maja @ The Nocturnal Library

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had some serious issues with Violet as well Sophia! I just couldn't understand her entire attitude toward Lincoln (and Phoenix as well to a degree), and every time she interacted with him I got incredibly frustrated. At the end the reasons for her behavior were explained, but it was almost too little too late for me at that point. I did enjoy the mythology quite a bit, so that alone is enough to make me want to pick up the next book, along with the fact that I want to see what Violet is like. It will be like meeting her for the first time really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a bummer that you weren't just in love with this one. It sounds so promising, but I hate when a main character is just "eh" like it sounds this one is.

    thanks for the honest review!

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! It's such a shame it wasn't as great for you as you had been hoping. :( I find it near impossible to appreciate a story when I don't like the main character. I think that might be an issue for me with this book. I'm still hoping to give this a try as the description sounds wonderful. I just hope I don't have the same problems!

    Great, informative review, Sophia. I hope your next book is slightly better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sophia! I'm sorry this book didn't work for you, but your review was really fun to read!!!! (Exclamation points pun intended!)

    It's really hard for me to support stories about angels as it is, and with a protag like Violet, I just don't think I'd be able to handle this one. I mean really, what is up with that grinding business?

    It always makes me a bit sad when stories don't do their gorgeous covers justice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh finally a review that is only so-so like mine. I keep seeing 5-stars around the blogs. I did like the story, mainly the lore, but the characters and the perfect love triangle is what got to me. Great review Sophia, sorry you didn't like it more than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great read and one I really enjoyed. I like that it's part paranormal, part urban fantasy. If you're looking for a new YA series to pick up, I'd recommend picking up EMBRACE when it's out next month. There is some minor language and a couple tastefully written sensual scenes in this book.

    Grace Crawford The Maids Red Bank Maid Service Company

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...