Sunday, March 18, 2012

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons


Publication Date: January 31, 2012
Publisher: Tor Teen
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 362
SynopsisNew York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned. 

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes. 

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back. 

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different. 

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow. 

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.

Review: I don't know why I took forever to finally pick this book up from my shelf, but I'm so glad that I finally did. Article 5 is a true, hardcore dystopian in the sense that the government is so messed up and as a reader, you're terrified for your own life.

   Heart pounding and horrifying, Article 5 is scary. At least, I thought so. The world building was really fantastic. I could imagine the restricting world that the characters lived in, and the awful settings that some events took place in. The government was insanely terrifying and while reading this, I felt like I was risking my life along with Ember and Chase.

   Ember is a character that I'm not sure how I feel about. Sometimes, I liked her. Sometimes, I didn't. She made smart decisions at time, and then other times, she'd be irrational and dramatic. I guess I'll have to decide when I read the second book in this series. Chase, on the other hand, I completely loved. He was cold in the beginning, but I quickly warmed up to him. He was sweet and protective and just downright adorable. Ember and Chase had that perfect chemistry, which I just ate up.

   I thought the plot was kind of predictable. Kristen Simmons uses quite a lot of foreshadowing and drops hints throughout the book. I picked the hints up and started predicting, realizing along the way that quite a few of my predictions were proven correct. However, despite that, I still felt that the plot was intense and absorbing.

   Article 5 is thrilling, suspenseful, and what I believe to be a quintessential dystopian. I'm very keen to see where Kristen Simmons takes the story in the sequel.

   4.5 keys.

18 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of Ember in this one, but I am hoping for some character growth in the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my shelf waiting to be read. I can't wait to get to it. Glad you enjoyed it :-)

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you enjoyed this, i totally loved it and can't wait for book 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I'm so happy that you loved this book too, Sophia -- everything you described it as was dead on! Heart-pounding, horrifying, suspenseful, thrilling... I couldn't have described it better myself! :) And even though Ember did make some bad decisions sometimes, I completely loved Chase too! And both of them together was just SO SWEET! You can't help but love them! x)

    Amazing review, Sophia! Now we can both be excited for the sequel! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME review! I loved this book a lot too and completely agree with your points. Chase was such an amazing character and I'm glad you were able to appreciate him too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's a good read when you feel that you are experiencing things right along with the characters. This one is on my wish list.

    Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful review, Sophia! I'm so glad you really enjoyed Article 5! Now you make me dying to get my hands on this book! x)

    Chase sounds like a really amazing guy and I completely love it! This book sounds like a perfect dystopian read! I mean, a thrilling, suspenseful, and a quintessential dystopian? I'm definitely in! <3

    Thank you for the amazing review, Sophia! Can't wait to read more of your reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's taking me forever to pick this one up, too, and I have no idea why. It's too bad that the story was predictable, but the good worldbuilding makes it better, i'm sure. I guess I'm just a little tired of dystopias, otherwise I'd have started this already.
    Wonderful review, Sophia.
    Maja @ The Nocturnal Library

    ReplyDelete
  9. YEAH SOPHIA!!!! I absolutely adored this one as well. I loved Ember in the beginning and the way she handled things at the rehab facility, but when she met up with Chase I found her reactions toward him frustrating at times. I understood why she acted the way she did, but I wanted them to just get everything out there on the table and talk so they had no more secrets and no more misunderstandings. Also, I'm in love with Chase. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES! I am so happy you loved this. Kristen's worldbuilding is amazing. She transported me right into this terrifying world alongside Ember and Chase and like you said.... it was scary, messed up. Brutal. I could barely put this down even as a chapter came to an end, because I NEEDED to see what would happen next.

    I am so, so, so excited to see waht she has planned for the sequel. CAN WE HAVE IT NOW, PLEASE?! Love your review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm hoping to read this one soon since I've only seen good reviews for it and have heard that it's comparable to Legend, a dystopian I really liked. Have you read Legend?

    I can't wait to meet Chase and Ember and read about their interactions. Thanks, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I SO AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID, Sophia! I absolutely loved Ember & Chase's story in this book and their relationship was completely awesome! I loved the world building, the tension, the suspense and just everything!

    AAAAA! I can't wait for the sequel! ARTICLE 6!!! I wonder what Article 6 is? Anyway, FANTASTIC REVIEW! <3 So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to read this one now .. I love dystopian novels and I also love to be scared by what's happening in them :) !! Great review Sophia :)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. While it sucks the plot was a bit predictable for you, I'm so glad you ended up liking it so much! Gosh, I'm seriously curious about it by now and can't wait for the chance to pick it up myself! Everyone seems to love it and it does sound awesome, so... o: Great review! Glad you finally picked it up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome review Sophia xD world-building is the KEY to books that turn out amazing, so I'm so glad the world Article 5 takes place in is terrifyingly real! I cannot wait to read Article 5. It sounds awesometastic! Im glad you liked it :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book was really scary for me, too. It felt so realistic and it was completely crazy. I agree that it was a little predictable, but I still couldn't put it down. Chase is mine, btw, I'm not sharing...hehe. I'm glad you enjoyed it! The pining for book two shal commence :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Things just didn't click for me with this book. I don't like when I can easily figure out what will happen next. I will pass on Book II.

    Cath Brookes (Alaska Search Marketing)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just read this amazing new YA fiction on Ganesha - Part 1 of the Temple Wars series - I think everyone should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...