Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: For Darkness Shows the Stars (24)

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine!

This week, I am waiting on...
For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diane Peterfreund

Expected Publication Date: June 12, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
SynopsisGenerations ago, a genetic experiment gone wrong—the Reduction—decimated humanity, giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.

Eighteen-year-old Luddite Elliot North has always known her place in this caste system. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family’s estate over love. But now the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress and threatening Luddite control; Elliot’s estate is floundering; and she’s forced to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth—an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliott wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she abandoned him.

But Elliot soon discovers her childhood friend carries a secret—-one that could change the society in which they live…or bring it to its knees. And again, she’s faced with a choice: cling to what she’s been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she’s ever loved, even if she has lost him forever.

Inspired by Jane Austen’s PERSUASION, FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.
Why I'm Waiting on This Pick: This book sounds amazing! The romance, the futuristic feel, the crumbling society--it sounds great. The only thing I'm not too crazy about is the name "Kai." I don't know how I'll get over my distaste for that name when reading the book. I can't wait to pick this one up!

What are you waiting on this Wednesday?

23 comments:

  1. Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel, and definitely in my top three, so I'm excited to see what they do with one. I hope it's good.

    My WoW/WWW

    Happy reading!

    ~Danica Page
    Taking It One Page at a Time

    ReplyDelete
  2. The storyline sounds amazing! Excellent pick! I love a good love story xD

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is gorgeous and the blurb sounds great! I'm going to add it on my goodreads to-read list. I think this is the kind of book I love to read.


    PS: I've got a giveaway that ends March 14th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved her Secret Society Girl books, so I will be picking this up when it comes out for sure!! Great choice!

    Check out my WOW.

    Emma @ Lost in a YA book

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooohhh... This one sounds interesting. And I totally like the cover. Thx for sharing!

    Drop by my WoW?
    http://tumblinginbooks.blogspot.com/2012/02/waiting-on-being-friends-with-boys-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, For Darkness Shows the Stars! I won the book from Diana's blog, and I can say that this book is AWESOME. I think you'll get used to Kai's name pretty soon, I know at least I did (: I definitely recommend it!

    Celine ~ Nyx Book Reviews
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is definitely on my wish list, too! It sounds amazing!

    Here is my WoW pick: http://tinyurl.com/6wavsh6
    Nickey @ The Book Shop Assistant

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everything you just said! LOL Can't wait for this book too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cover is FABULOUS!! Can't wait to read it. :)

    Jess @ Gone with the Words
    My Wow pick this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Diana's secret society books are amazing. I dislike the name Kai too. A letter seriously. Can't wait for this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just adore this cover - the colours are so pretty! Great pick this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate it, when a main character has a name that I don't like... I don't have these problems with "Kai", but have experienced the same thing, too. Maybe you can enjoy the book nonetheless, because it does sound quite awesome! :)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep hearing about this one, I love the idea of mixing Jane Austen with steampunk! Please check out my WoW.

    Thanks! Anna @ Wandering Librarians

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seen this one around, I may have to take a better look at it but me and steampunk haven't really gotten along in the past. Come check out my WoW =)
    Shellie @ Creative Reads

    ReplyDelete
  15. A nice cover and choice.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/waiting-on-wednesday_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great choice! I am super excited for this book too. :) The description and cover are both amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book does sound rather interesting! Adding it to my TBR list! New Follower!

    Kelly @ Dandelion Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love the cover <3

    http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com/2012/02/waiting-on-wednesday-4-eve-marie-mont.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. A retelling of Persuasion? Awesome! That was my favorite Jane Austen. I would pick this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing such a great WoW book. I can not wait to be able to read this book as well. I have definitely added it to my wishlist (Old GFC Follower) Natasha @ Paranormal Goddess Book Blog - My Waiting On Wednesday Post

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the cover on this one and the story sounds amazing! Kai seems like a popular name in YA recently, I've been seeing it a lot. Hopefully the story is so great you won't even notice the name :0)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've had my eye on this one too! Great pick!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...