Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

Publication Date: May 11, 2004
Publisher: Speak
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 376
Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Macy Queen is looking forward to a long, boring summer. Her boyfriend is going away. She's stuck with a dull-as-dishwater job at the library. And she'll spend all of her free time studying for the SATs or grieving silently with her mother over her father's recent unexpected death. But everything changes when Macy is corralled into helping out at one of her mother's open house events, and she meets the chaotic Wish Catering crew. Before long, Macy joins the Wish team. She loves everything about the work and the people. But the best thing about Wish is Wes—artistic, insightful, and understanding Wes—who gets Macy to look at life in a whole new way, and really start living it.
Review: This is my favorite Sarah Dessen book, so of course I had to reread it! I'm not sure if I liked this book as much as I did during my first read, but that's okay, because it's still a book that I think everyone should read.

   Macy is a flat character. I'm not going to lie. All of Dessen's leads are usually very flat. Macy was not an exception. I did like her, but I wish she could've jumped off the page more. As usual, Dessen's other characters were very lively, very real, and very awesome.

   The Wish catering crew was chaotic and hilarious. I loved Delia and the way she welcomed disasters like she welcomed her own children. I loved Kristy and her outgoing attitude and her search for an "extraordinary" boy. I loved Monica and how she never spoke full sentences. I loved Bert and his obsession with the world's end. And, of course, I loved Wes.

   Wes is, by far, my favorite Dessen boy--which is saying something, considering how amazing Dessen boys are. Wes has his own history, sometimes scary and sometimes heartbreaking. He also understands Macy like no one else seems to be able to. He knows what to do, what to say, and he's just so sweet. Wes is also a sculptor, so bonus points for artistic talent!

   I love Sarah Dessen's books because they always have so many elements and layers to the story. It's not just a fluffy romance. It's truly anything but. There are family troubles, self-discovery, lots of change in character, and other things along those lines. You're guaranteed a change in Macy from the beginning to the end.

   I truly recommend The Truth About Forever to all Dessen fans, and even those who are not, because it's filled with messages, finding your true self, and a really sa-woon-worthy boy.

8 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I kind of balked when you said Macy was flat but I get where you're coming from. That's what drew me to her, how quiet she is and how she grows so slowly but surely. I mean, most of Sarah Dessen's character usually are quiet because they have a traumatic event. I think the most lively (& my other favourite!) is Remy from This Lullaby. Wes is my favourite Dessen boy too, I think he complements Macy perfectly and I just love their game of Truth. Sa-woon. Oh boy, this review made me want to re-read all over again! I love it every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Sohpia, that is SO true! I think I've only read three Sarah Dessen books in total before but I find that the main characters are usually all more subtle too (compared to the silly, spunky, and fun girls from contemporaries like Anna and the French Kiss!), but the rest of the cast always makes up for it! :) The Wish catering crew was so much fun!

    Amazing review, Sophia! Just like you, this was my favourite Dessen book and Wes was my favourite Dessen boy! SA-WOON is right! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant review! I love they way Sarah Dessen writes. She just has a natural way with words that you can't help but admire. I read this a while ago and didn't actually enjoy the story at the time, but that was mostly because I didn't read very much realistic fiction. I think I would definitely appreciate it more now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. My. Wes. You have made me desperate for a reread now! My first read of this feels like forever ago, but still that beautiful, artistic boy still lingers in my head <3

    This was my first Dessen book and naturally, I fell in love. I've only read one more since then, but I really want to catch up on the rest soon. I love your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG SOPHIA!! You totally nailed it!! I absolutely LOVED this! <3 Although I read this a long time ago, it still has a special place in my heart;) Eeeeee! I loved Wes, and judging from your review, I really should read more of Dessen's books since ALL her guys sound like such sweethearts!<3 Briliant review!<3 I feel like running off to read more of her books now:DD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never read a book from Sarah Dessen, but this definitely makes me want to change that! Really nice review and I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Truth About Forever has an interesting plot. The protagonist, a girl named Macy, strives for perfection in many ways such as, a perfect boyfriend, perfect family and a perfect job. But after her father's unexpected death Macy turned emotionally unstable. She gave up running, her passion, isolated herself from her friends, and devoted herself to what she thought was her perfect boyfriend. By making herself perfect, she could make things right again, long time after her father's demise. Macy's life comes to a juncture when she meets the Wish Catering crew from whom she learned that life isn't all about being perfect but about living to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved all your reviews, I think they're amazing! Please do check out my blog, you inspired me to start it, and I've just posted my first review on Eleanor & Park. xxbell.blogspot.com thank you!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...