Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Publication Date: October 1, 2008
Publisher: Scholastic
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 374
SynopsisIn the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. 

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

Review: It's been two years since I last read this book. It's incredible (and embarrassing) how much I can forget in two years. It was almost like reading this book again for the first time, because most of the time, I would be like, "What? Gale has black hair?" or, "Is that how this tribute died?" Yep. Pretty shameful on my part.

   The Hunger Games is the book that opened me up to YA literature. After reading it two years ago, I quickly read another YA novel, and soon enough, I was in love with the genre. It's easy to remember why I loved this book. It's a truly remarkable book.

   The world building is brilliant. I can imagine District 12 and the arena in which the tributes compete. I can feel the angst, the sorrow, the fear of the tributes. I can truly grasp the concept. This book keeps readers on the edge of their seats. This book seriously glues itself to your hands. This book is definitely one of a kind.

   As mentioned before, I could really feel the emotions of all the characters, except for one. Unfortunately, that one character was the most important one--Katniss Everdeen. I felt like the prose was too dry and emotionless. Don't get me wrong; the writing was good. Katniss herself wasn't. I wanted a deeper connection with her. I wanted to truly feel what she felt. It didn't happen for me.

   The first time I read this book, I liked Gale. I had a grudge against Peeta--a really huge, strong grudge. After rereading this book, I can say that I love Peeta. He's sweet and caring. Adorable and charismatic. I liked the romance aspect in this book and how Katniss doesn't even have a clue as to what love can possibly be. Nowadays, girls in YA are willing to die for their true loves. Katniss hasn't even realized that she loves anyone yet--except Prim, of course.

   The Hunger Games is breath-taking and thrilling with the pages flipping themselves. I love this book so much. I don't think I can ever get tired of it. I'm so excited for the movie!

   5 keys.

P.S. This review counts for Presenting Lenore's Dystopian February!

14 comments:

  1. This is the book that got me into YA, too. I actually don't read much young adult fiction, but I often compare the books I do read to THG. I'm glad you enjoyed your reread. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice comment, Zachary! Yay for having The Hunger Games open up YA for you! :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE The Hunger Games. It's such a fantastic series and Suzanne Collins is a phenomenal writer. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree! It's definitely one of my favorite series ever.

      Delete
  3. I just love this series. I'm trying to get more of my friends to read it, but its a little hard to do that when they find out what it is about. I can't wait for the movie to come out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I don't have that problem! With all the hype the books are getting (because of the movie), they're all reading it asap!

      Delete
  4. Such a fantastic series. I think re-reading good books is nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, the English teacher in me gets giddy when I see readers going back for another helping. I used to read the HP series every summer before a new book was released just to give myself a refresher. I should prob. re-read this series before the movies. I was on team Gale the first time I read book 1, but it didn't take me long after to become team Peeta forever. I just got my mom to read the series and she couldn't put it down. It was the only way I would take her to see the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rereading books! :) I really want to reread the Harry Potter series. I just haven't found the time. Congrats on getting your mom to read THG! :)

      Delete
  5. So glad to see that it was The Hunger Games that opened you up to YA literature! I reread the series a couple months ago, and I was surprised by just how much more I noticed the second time around!

    Stopped by the Saturday Situation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it's so cool to see that THG is just as good the second time around! I tried to reread Mockingjay but couldn't really get into it. And wow, I'm really forgetful too. I didn't know Gale had black hair. I guess it'll be good when the movie comes out- I'll have forgotten so much I won't have a lot to complain about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am pretty sure I am the only person in te world who didn't love this one - I did enjoy Catching Fire, but I almost put this one in my DNF pile, I was only reading for Peeta because I adored him,ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh. I wonder why you didn't like it. :(

      Catching Fire is my favorite of the series, for what it's worth! :)

      Delete
  8. I still haven't read these books, because there's something about it that makes me forget them.. But after reading this; perhaps I should give it a try!

    @thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book was by far my favorite of the trilogy. The second one was awesome as well, and the third one was good, but a bit of a weak conclusion, in my opinion. :) But still worth reading!

    regards,
    grace of Cowboy boots for men

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...