Monday, February 6, 2012

Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Publication Date: May 19, 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 293
SynopsisLily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush. 

Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life. 

When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.
Review: I really didn't expect to like this book. I honestly just read it for AR points, but in the end, I'm really glad I read this! It was very cute and very fun. There were issues here and there, but as a whole, I think I enjoyed this book quite a lot.

   I really liked that this book was about mermaids. I don't think I've ever read a mermaid book, and I'm glad this was my first. There was an abundance of fish lingo littered throughout this book, which I thought was so adorable! It was really creative and I found myself smiling.

   My main problem was the main character. Lily was like one of those seven year old girls that obsessed over the Jonas Brothers when they were popular. She was delusional and obtuse. I wanted to shake her and tell her the obvious things, but she was far too oblivious. It drove me bananas.

   The characters did fall flat for me throughout most of the book. The only person who really stood out to me was Quince. He was adorable and really sweet. But even then, I sometimes felt like he wasn't truly three dimensional.

   Forgive My Fins is a quick and fun read that surprised me in a good way, floating my boat throughout my whole reading experience.

   3.5 keys.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you liked this book! I haven't read mermaid books either, but your enthusiasm really shows. It really looks awesome, and the blurb is fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that the heroin is a mermaid and am intrigued enough to give it a go. I appreciate your cautions about the character development.

    Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this one on my wishlist since I first saw the cover and read the blurb. Thanks for the review!
    (\___/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad you enjoy reading it too. I like Quince so much. He's very adorable and natural. I can't wait to read the next book soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may fantasize about falling in love with a vampire or werewolf, but I dream about being a mermaid. A mermaid princess would be even better, and Lily Sanderson gets to be both.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...