Monday, February 13, 2012

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Publication Date: December 1, 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Format: Paperback
Page Count: 281
SynopsisWhat girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.
This is the second review for this book. The first one can be found here.

Review: I think I'll start this book off with a little story. I took this book to school today and one of my friends read the back and said, "You know, romance books these days are so predictable! I mean, you can obviously tell that Jordan and this Tyler Green boy are going to end up together." I started laughing. If you've read this book, you know why. Predictable? Catching Jordan is anything but.

   I don't think it's been long enough since my first read to have reread this book. I still remembered every single detail, which sucks some of the fun out of rereading. Nevertheless, I did enjoy this reread. My favorite thing about this book is the humor. All the boys on the team are just so funny, as well as Jordan. The humor is sometimes crude, but it's realistic, which makes it great.

   I love the characters. Jordan thinks she knows what she wants, but then ends up realizing that she doesn't know at all. She's sometimes determined, and sometimes completely confused. Because of that, I found her very relatable. My favorite of all Jordan's teammates is probably Carter. He's quiet and nice, and of course, super sweet. And then there's Sam Henry. I mean... is there anything to say about him? Sam Henry. My goodness...

   This book has lots of different elements going for it. There's the romance/angst aspect which I loved! I am such a sucker for some good teenage angst. There's also the football aspect. I'm clueless when it comes to football, but that's alright. It definitely works for this book. And there's the self-discovery portion. Jordan discovers and learns along her journey, which I was always like in a contemporary.

   The only thing I wasn't that crazy about the second time around was the writing. Sometimes, it felt awkward. Not because it didn't flow smoothly. It felt awkward because at times, the monologue was so unrealistic. But I suppose that's because I was analyzing it too carefully.

   Catching Jordan is a totally fun and completely hilarious debut that I had an absolute pleasure rereading!

6 comments:

  1. I love this novel, too! I'm so excited and cannot wait for the companion novel Stealing Parker.

    How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you used "unpredictable" to describe this book! I've heard mixed things about this book but not that so it makes me super curious. It does sound like a fun book, I'll have to try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this book yet, but I really should. I love contemporaries. Catching Jordan sounds really awesome! It's definitely high on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book! It was so much fun. I can't wait for the companion, Stealing Parker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when is Stealing Parker supposed to come out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cried along with the book too! I certainly hope Sam and Jordan end up at the Michigan colleges together!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...