Sunday, February 26, 2012

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Publication Date: September 1, 2009
Publisher: Scholastic
Format: Hardcover
Page Count: 391
SynopsisAgainst all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create. 

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying. 

In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before... and surprising readers at every turn.
Review: Catching Fire has always been my favorite book in The Hunger Games trilogy. I think it's because of the new characters. In this second installment, Katniss is thrown back into the arena with previous victors, which I completely adored because my favorite thing about Suzanne Collins's writing is her characters.

   Finnick and Johanna and Beetee; they all stole pieces of my heart because they're just all freaking fabulous. But, of course, my favorite character is the wise and drunken Haymitch Abernathy. I love Haymitch. Love him. So much. I love him a lot, if you couldn't tell.

   Aside from the characters, another aspect that I loved about this book was the plot. It was so surprising--even though this is a reread, I still found myself gasping. I was absorbed into this destructive and cruel world. I was rooting for these greatly developed characters. I was anticipating the shock factor or the crazy twist and Suzanne Collins did not disappoint.

   I don't really know what else to say besides the fact that this is my favorite book in the series--and rightfully so. Catching Fire is dramatic, surprising, twisting and turning in every way possible, causing readers to devour this book like Katniss devours lamb stew.

   5 keys.

9 comments:

  1. Loved this series! I'm glad you love it too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm lucky I read it after all the three books were published because I can't imagine waiting for book three after this book! What an ending. I don't think I've ever met a Haymitch lover before, I'm mostly indifferent towards him but I love that you love him that much! Fantastic review, Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right!? It was my fav book in the series also. There is something so gut wrenching and awfully human about this one. I was very emotionally involved in this one.

    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Finnick! I think he's my favorite in book two! I really need to reread this one soon :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is also my fave book in the series! I really enjoyed all the action in the arena and I felt it had something the first one lacked.

    My last blog post:
    http://taysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2012/02/review-entwined-by-heather-dixon.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, I agree with you completely! I think this might've been my favourite of the series too (or at least tied to the first one) because of how amazing the characters were! :) Especially Haymitch -- I thought I was the only one who loved him that much, so it makes me incredibly ecstatic that you did too! x) <3

    Absolutely amazing review, Sophia! Reading your reviews for this series is only making me more excited for the movie to come out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES YES YES! In TOTAL agreement. Catching Fire is fabulous, and I LOVE the characters, and the dynamic they bring to the story! Finnick! YES! It's such an incredibly fabulous and heartbreaking story as well... having to murder people you've come to consider friends :'(

    FAB review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Everything you said is why this my favorite HG book too. I love finnick, he's awesome. I also enjoyed reading about katniss's new life as a victor in distort 12. I enjoyed learning what the society was like during the winter and reading the most amazing, suspenseful game ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just picked up the Temple Wars book! Book 1 is fascinating and had me engaged from page one! You guys should check it out! Temple Wars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment! I read all of them and appreciate them so much. And if you have a blog as well, I always try my best to return the favor! Thanks again for visiting The Book Basement. ^-^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...